Podcasts de historia

Chales Tyler Stanton

Chales Tyler Stanton


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Chales Tyler Stanton nació en Pompey, condado de Onondaga, el 11 de marzo de 1811. Trabajó como empleado de una tienda, pero mostró un gran interés por la botánica y la geología. Stanton se mudó a Chicago en 1835, donde estableció su propio negocio.

En 1846 se unió a la caravana del Partido Donner en su viaje desde Independence, Missouri, hasta Sutter's Fort en California. El grupo siguió el Oregon Trail hasta que llegaron a Fort Bridger el 28 de julio.

En el fuerte, el grupo se encontró con Lansford Hastings. Estaba ocupado intentando persuadir a los emigrantes con destino a Oregón para que fueran a California a través de lo que se conoció como el límite de Hastings. Hastings afirmó que su ruta eliminaría 300 millas de la distancia al fuerte de Sutter. Su límite implicó cruzar las montañas Wasatch, alrededor del Gran Lago Salado hacia el sur, luego hacia el oeste hasta el río Humboldt en Nevada, antes de regresar al sendero principal desde Fort Hall.

Hastings le dijo a la gente que el desierto tenía solo 40 millas de ancho y que encontrarían agua después de 24 horas. De hecho, tenía 82 millas de ancho y solo se podía encontrar agua después de 48 horas de viaje. Hastings les dijo a George Donner y James Reed que tres vagones ya habían optado por esta ruta.

El Partido Donner había hecho un mal tiempo hasta ahora y ya estaba un poco por detrás de la mayoría de los otros vagones que viajaban desde Independence hasta Sutter's Fort. Sabían que tenían que cruzar la Sierra Nevada antes de las nevadas que llegarían a Sutter's Fort. Esto generalmente sucedía a principios de noviembre. Aunque estaban programados para llegar a las montañas a fines del verano, estaban preocupados por otros retrasos que podrían significar ser bloqueados por el clima invernal. Por lo tanto, tomaron la decisión de seguir el consejo de Lansford Hastings y tomar el atajo propuesto.

El 31 de julio, el Partido Donner abandonó Fort Bridger. No salieron del Echo Canyon hasta el 6 de agosto. Lo que esperaban que les llevaría cuatro días en realidad les había llevado siete días. Encontraron una carta de Lansford Hastings aconsejándoles que acamparan en el río Weber y que enviaran a un hombre por delante para encontrarlo para poder mostrarles una nueva ruta a California. Stanton y James Reed se fueron en busca de Hastings. Cuando lo encontraron, rechazó la oferta de convertirse en el guía personal de la caravana de Donner. En su lugar, dibujó un mapa aproximado de la nueva ruta.

El Partido Donner entró en las montañas Wasatch el 12 de agosto. Pronto descubrieron que tenían que abrirse camino a través de álamos, álamos y maleza enmarañada para hacer una ruta para los carros. Durante los siguientes días tuvieron que desalojar rocas y construir calzadas a través de pantanos para llegar al valle del Gran Lago Salado. A los veintitrés vagones del Partido Donner se unieron ahora la familia Graves y sus tres vagones. Como Virginia Reed registró más tarde, el nuevo grupo estaba formado "por W.F. Graves, su esposa y ocho hijos, su yerno Jay Fosdick y un joven llamado John Snyder".

Era el 27 de agosto y todavía tenían que cruzar el desierto de sal. Los miembros del grupo ahora se dieron cuenta de que estaban en serios problemas y ahora tenían solo una pequeña posibilidad de cruzar las montañas de Sierra Nevada antes de que las nieves del invierno bloquearan su ruta. Los vagones más rápidos avanzaban y los lentos y cargados vagones de los Reeds y Donner se estaban quedando cada vez más atrás.

El Partido Donner alcanzó Pilot Peak el 8 de septiembre. Para que pudieran mantenerse al día, los Reed y Donner tuvieron que abandonar algunos de los bienes pesados ​​que transportaban. También abandonaron tres carros y aumentaron el número de bueyes que tiraban de los carros restantes. Los miembros del partido también tenían dudas sobre si tenían suficiente comida para ellos antes de llegar a California. Por lo tanto, se decidió enviar a dos hombres, Stanton y William McCutcheon, al Fuerte de Sutter, con el fin de comprar provisiones para la caravana.

El Partido Donner partió ahora hacia el río Humboldt. El 30 de septiembre llegaron al sendero principal desde Fort Hall hasta Sutter's Fort. Sin embargo, para entonces, el resto de los vagones de 1846 ya se habían ido y ya estaban en California. El Partido Donner ahora tenía problemas con el Paiute. Robaron dos bueyes y dos caballos. También dispararon varias flechas contra la caravana e hirieron a algunos de los animales.

El 5 de octubre de 1846, otro desastre golpeó al Partido Donner. James Reed y John Snyder tuvieron una discusión sobre uno de los vagones. Snyder perdió los estribos y lo golpeó en la cabeza con un látigo. Reed sacó su cuchillo y lo clavó en el cuerpo de Snyder. Snyder murmuró: "Tío Patrick, estoy muerto". Su predicción fue correcta y Lewis Keseberg inmediatamente comenzó a instalar una lengüeta de carro como una horca improvisada. William Eddy usó su arma para insistir en que no lincharan a Reed. Los demás estuvieron de acuerdo y después de mucha discusión se decidió que Reed debería ser desterrado de la caravana. Se vio obligado a dirigirse al Fuerte Sutter a caballo sin armas. Para muchos en el partido, esto equivalía a condenar a muerte a Reed.

Poco después, Lewis Keseberg expulsó a uno de sus empleados, Hardkoop, de su vagón. Nunca se lo volvió a ver y no se sabe si murió de hambre o fue asesinado por tribus nativas americanas locales. A esto le siguió la desaparición de otro alemán llamado Wolfinger. Joseph Reinhardt y Augustus Spitzer confesaron más tarde que habían robado y asesinado a Wolfinger.

El Partido Donner ahora tenía que cruzar un desierto de 40 millas. Durante los siguientes tres días, la caravana sufrió repetidos ataques de grupos de guerreros. Durante este tiempo robaron 18 bueyes, mataron a otros 21 e hirieron a muchos más. Dado que la mayoría de sus animales ahora estaban muertos o robados, el grupo se vio obligado a abandonar sus carromatos. La fiesta llegó al lago Truckee a finales de octubre.

El 19 de octubre Stanton regresó de Sutter's Fort con siete mulas cargadas de comida. William McCutcheon se había puesto enfermo y se había visto obligado a quedarse en el fuerte. Sin embargo, Stanton había traído consigo dos guías indios para ayudarlos a llegar a California. Stanton también trajo la noticia de que James Reed había llegado con éxito a California. El 20 de octubre, William Foster mató a su cuñado en un accidente de tiro.

El Partido Donner comenzó ahora su intento de cruzar las montañas de Sierra Nevada. Unas pocas ráfagas de nieve les hicieron darse cuenta de que estaban en una carrera desesperada por el tiempo. A lo lejos pudieron ver que los picos estaban cubiertos de nieve. El 25 de octubre, un guerrero paiute abrió fuego contra lo que quedaba de los animales. Golpeó diecinueve bueyes antes de ser asesinado por William Eddy.

Los migrantes siguieron avanzando, pero cuando llegaron a menos de tres millas de la cumbre, encontraron su camino bloqueado por ventisqueros de cinco pies. Ahora se vieron obligados a dar media vuelta y buscar refugio en una cabaña por la que habían pasado al pie de la montaña. Mientras tanto, James Reed y William McCutcheon se habían puesto en camino con comida suficiente para mantener viva al Partido Donner durante el invierno. Sin embargo, encontraron bloqueado su camino y tuvieron que regresar con sus mulas de carga al Fuerte de Sutter.

Los miembros supervivientes de la caravana ahora se dispusieron a construir un campamento junto a lo que más tarde se conocería como Donner Lake. Patrick Dolan, Patrick Breen y su familia se mudaron a la cabaña abandonada, mientras que Lewis Keseberg construyó un cobertizo contra una de las paredes. William Eddy y William Foster construyeron una cabaña de troncos. También lo hizo Stanton. Su cabaña debía albergar a la familia Graves y Margaret Reed y sus hijos. George Donner logró construir un refugio primitivo para su familia.

El Partido Donner estaba desesperadamente escaso de comida. Los animales restantes fueron sacrificados y comidos. Los intentos de pescar en el río no tuvieron éxito. Algunos de los hombres fueron a cazar, pero durante las siguientes dos semanas solo pudieron matar a un oso, un coyote, un búho y una ardilla gris. Estaba claro que si se quedaban en el campamento todos morirían de hambre y el 12 de noviembre trece hombres y dos mujeres hicieron otro intento por llegar al Fuerte Sutter. Sin embargo, encontraron su camino bloqueado por un montón de nieve de 10 pies y regresaron al campamento.

El grupo descansó unos días y luego un grupo liderado por Stanton y William Eddy hizo otro intento por ponerse a salvo. El 21 de noviembre regresaron al campamento derrotados. Poco después murió Baylis Williams. Esto motivó a los miembros más fuertes del grupo a hacer un último intento de cruzar las montañas.

El 16 de diciembre, quince miembros del partido abandonaron el campamento y se dirigieron a la cumbre. Esto se conoció como el grupo Forlorn Hope. Ayudados por un mejor clima, esta vez lograron cruzar el puerto de montaña. El 20 de diciembre habían llegado a un lugar llamado Yuba Bottoms. A la mañana siguiente, Stanton no tenía las fuerzas suficientes para abandonar el campamento. El resto se vio obligado a dejarlo morir.

Bueno lo que quizás te sorprenda es que mañana voy a partir para California me encontré con una buena oportunidad y, pensando que era dudoso que encontrara algo que hacer en este país, decidí irme ... Si nunca has leído Hastings '(libro) Oregon & California consígalo y léelo. Verá algunos de los alicientes que me llevaron a este paso. Tengo la esperanza de pasar a salvo, lo cual creo que hay poco peligro ya que nos adentramos en multitudes tan grandes que seremos ley para nosotros mismos y una protección para los demás.

En nuestro campamento teníamos varias familias de Oregon, constituyendo veinte vagones. Al surgir algún pequeño disturbio, decidieron retirarse de nuestro grupo e ir por su cuenta, formando una compañía propia, reuniendo una fuerza de unos veinte combatientes. Siguieron adelante durante varios días acampando a una o dos millas de nosotros. En su grupo había muchas señoritas, en el nuestro, en su mayoría hombres jóvenes. Se habían formado amistades y vínculos que eran difíciles de romper; porque desde entonces, nuestra compañía está casi desierta, por los jóvenes que todos los días cabalgan a caballo, fingiendo cazar, pero en lugar de perseguir al venado que salta o al antílope flota, ¡generalmente se encuentran entre las hermosas chicas de Oregón! ¡Así van, todos los días, haciendo el amor a la vera del camino, en medio del paisaje más salvaje y hermoso, admirando ahora los meandros de algún riachuelo delicioso, o el curso de algún río noble!

Después de un viaje de uno o dos días, acampamos en el Little Blue, que abunda en peces, y aquí se puso a prueba mi habilidad como pescador; pero logré atrapar uno de los mejores que jamás hayas visto, que desayunamos a la mañana siguiente ... Viajamos durante varios días por este encantador arroyo, y todas las noches encontramos un lugar romántico para acampar. El paisaje era de lo más hermoso: la mirada vagó por las hermosas perspectivas de colinas y valles.

Uno estaba ansioso por llegar al Platte ... Ya habíamos viajado cuatro días por el Azul, y la marcha de un día nos llevaría a ese gran río. La marcha de este día, por tanto, se reanudó con presteza. Tuvimos que cruzar una llanura muy elevada, la cresta divisoria entre las aguas del Kansas y el Platte. Hacia las once de la mañana pudimos percibir, al atravesar la cota más alta, que la tierra descendía poco a poco en ambos sentidos, y a lo lejos se veían los pequeños montículos o montículos, que formaban la cresta o farallones del río noble ... Hacia las dos de la tarde, cuando, al ascender un punto alto de tierra, vimos, extendido ante nosotros, el valle de la noble Platte. Todos gritamos de placer y sorpresa. ¡El valle del Platte! no hay otro igual. Los acantilados están a una distancia de diez a quince millas, el río, de más de una milla de ancho, fluye por el centro. Los acantilados caen repentinamente de 50 a 100 pies, cuando hay una pendiente gradual hacia la orilla del agua. No se ve ni un solo palo de madera a ambos lados del río; es una pradera interminible hasta donde alcanza la vista; sin embargo, se encuentra un relieve en las numerosas islas del río que generalmente están cubiertas de madera.

Alrededor de las diez de la mañana se descubrió la roca de la chimenea, a unos sesenta kilómetros de distancia. Yo lo vi. Parecía una pequeña aguja, destacándose con un relieve audaz contra el cielo. Dos días más llegamos a esta célebre roca, y llegamos a ella hacia el mediodía. Su altura fue estimada de diversas formas por nuestra compañía de adivinanzas, de doscientos a doscientos pies. Supongo que tendrá trescientos pies de altura. Es redondo, se inclina suavemente hacia arriba y llega a un punto en la base de la chimenea, 250 pies; luego la chimenea comienza a elevarse en un cuadrado oblongo, de 10 por 20 pies, 100 pies más. Ayer pasamos a mi juicio una curiosidad mayor que esta; algunos lo llamaron Palacio de Justicia, otros la Fortaleza y otros la Torre del Castillo. .... Al viajar río arriba hasta Fort Laramie, he observado que sus colinas, o colinas, o acantilados, o como se les llame, sólo se encuentran en un lado del río a la vez. ... Este fue el caso antes de llegar al "palacio de justicia", pero aquí de repente saltaron a través del arroyo, y el primer edificio que vimos, fue la inmensa masa en lo alto de los acantilados, 200 pies sobre el río. Allí estaba, solitario y solo, en solemne grandeza.

Dejamos nuestro campamento en el Fuerte el domingo, subimos dos millas por Laramie Fork y acampamos ... Te escribí la otra mitad de mi carta. Pero no lo terminé hasta la mañana siguiente e incluso entonces, no hasta que nuestra compañía se fue. Esperé más de una hora para terminarlo ... El último de los vagones había desaparecido hacía mucho tiempo detrás de las colinas ... y yo solo caminaba a pie para adelantar a los vagones. Pronto llegué al camino principal, donde lo vi alineado con indios a caballo, que regresaban de los carros que habían acompañado una distancia considerable en su viaje, con el propósito de asegurar los presentes que pudieran obtener e intercambiar caballos ... Pronto estuvo rodeado por diez o una docena de Souix ... Todos cabalgaron y me estrecharon la mano, y querían algo que yo no podía entender. Uno o dos se pasaron los cuchillos por la garganta. Esto me pareció que no era una diversión muy agradable, especialmente si se divertían de esta manera conmigo. Finalmente les obsequié algunos trozos de tabaco, que aceptaron con gusto, y partieron aparentemente muy contentos ... Al subir con los carros, descubrí que la compañía de Oregon se había unido a nosotros. Desde que nos dejaron, se habían celebrado tres matrimonios y uno o dos más estaban en los tapis. Todos estábamos contentos de vernos después de nuestra larga separación, y los buenos sentimientos parecían reinar en todo momento. No habíamos viajado mucho antes de comenzar el ascenso de Black Hills, y teníamos una hermosa vista del pico Laramie, el más alto de la cordillera.

Ayer celebramos el 4 de julio. Romper una o dos botellas de buen licor, que se habían escondido para evitar que robaran unos viejos grifos (tan sedientos se vuelven en esta ruta de licor, de cualquier tipo, que robarlo no se considera delito), un discurso u oración del coronel Russell, algunas canciones del señor Bryant y varios otros caballeros, con música, que consiste en un violín, una flauta, un tambor de perro: se mata al perro del que se extrajo la piel y se hace el tambor. La noche anterior - con el disparo de todos los cañones del campamento, al final del discurso, canto y brindis, creó una de las excitaciones más placenteras que hemos tenido en el camino.

En la mañana del 6 de julio, después de nuestros dos días de descanso, nos pusimos en marcha y viajamos veinte millas hasta Deer Creek. El pico de Laramie estuvo visible casi todo el día, hacia el sureste. Hacia el mediodía llegamos a la bifurcación norte del Platte, después de haber estado ausentes durante una semana. Donde chocamos contra el río, hay una fina capa de carbón de piedra; pero el gran Platte, por el que habíamos viajado tanto y tan lejos, cómo había disminuido, o mejor dicho, hacia arriba, hasta convertirse en un pequeño arroyo. El agua estaba clara, pero no me gustó tanto como cuando se mezcló con arena y marga cuando golpeamos el río por primera vez.

Viajamos todo el día siguiente por el Platte y acampamos cerca de una pequeña arboleda a orillas del río. El miércoles cruzamos el Platte hacia el mediodía y recorrimos seis millas. El búfalo y otros animales de caza son cada vez más abundantes. Todos los días uno o más mueren, y nuevamente nos deleitamos con la carne fresca. Creo que no hay carne de vacuno en el mundo igual a una buena vaca búfalo: un sabor, tan rico, tan jugoso, que se hace agua la boca al pensar en ello.

El jueves por la mañana dejamos el Platte y la larga cadena de colinas negras a nuestra izquierda, y nos dirigimos hacia el Agua Dulce. Al mediodía, el coronel Boon llegó muy emocionado, diciendo que había salido con algunos otros y había matado ocho búfalos, entre los que se encontraban varias vacas gordas y terneros, y pidió a todos los que querían carne de búfalo que obtuvieran lo que querían ... Por la tarde, manejamos algunos kilómetros y acampamos junto a un hermoso manantial.

Toda la región del país desde Fort Laramie hasta este lugar es casi completamente árida. No hay hierba excepto en los valles, que sólo en algunos pocos lugares se encuentra exuberante. Uno parece no saber cómo explicar cómo los búfalos pueden vivir en las colinas sobre las que se extienden. En toda la región crece en abundancia la salvia silvestre o artemisia. ... El sabio no es como el sabio del jardín. Tiene más olor a lavanda ... La primera semana después de dejar el Fuerte, experimentamos, aunque en pleno verano, las frescas brisas de la montaña, siendo necesario por la noche abrigarse con nuestros abrigos, y muchas veces durante todo el día. Sin embargo, la semana pasada fue diferente. Ha hecho un calor insoportable tanto de día como de noche: el termómetro oscila entre los 95 y los 100 grados.

Ayer al mediodía llegamos al "punto culminante" o cresta divisoria entre el Atlántico y el Pacífico. Esta noche acampamos en Little Sandy, una de las bifurcaciones del río Green, que es un afluente del gran Colorado, que desemboca en el golfo de California. Así se cumplen los grandes sueños de mi juventud y de mis años más maduros. He visto las Montañas Rocosas, he cruzado el Rubicón, ¡y ahora estoy en las aguas que fluyen hacia el Pacífico! Parece como si hubiera dejado atrás el viejo mundo, y que uno nuevo está amaneciendo sobre mí. En cada paso hasta ahora ha habido algo nuevo, algo que atraer. Si el resto de mi viaje es tan interesante, seré recompensado con creces por las fatigas y las dificultades de este arduo viaje.

Puede que no tenga otra oportunidad de enviarte cartas hasta que llegue a California. Tomamos una nueva ruta a California, nunca viajamos antes de esta temporada; en consecuencia, nuestra ruta pasa por una región nueva e interesante. Ahora estamos en el valle del río Bear, en medio de las montañas del río Bear, cuyas cumbres están cubiertas de nieve. Mientras escribo, nos alegra un cálido sol de verano, mientras que a unas pocas millas de distancia, las montañas cubiertas de nieve resplandecen con sus rayos.

Dejando Fort Bridger, desafortunadamente tomamos la nueva ruta, viajando sin incidentes notables, hasta que llegamos a la cabecera del cañón Webber. A poca distancia antes de llegar a este lugar encontramos una carta clavada en lo alto de un arbusto de salvia. Era de Hastings. Dijo que si enviábamos un mensajero tras él, regresaría y nos conduciría por una ruta mucho más corta y mejor que el cañón. Se celebró una reunión de la empresa, cuando se resolvió enviar a los Sres. McCutchen, Stanton ya mí al Sr. Hastings; también estábamos al mismo tiempo para examinar el cañón e informar con poca antelación.

A la mañana siguiente, ascendiendo a la cima de la montaña, donde podíamos ver una parte del país que se extendía entre nosotros y la cabecera del cañón, donde acampaba el grupo de Donner. Después de que me dio la dirección, el Sr. Hastings y yo nos separamos. Regresó a las compañías que había dejado la mañana anterior y yo prosiguió hacia el este. Después de descender a lo que podría llamarse la meseta, tomé un sendero indio y abrí la ruta donde era necesario que se hiciera el camino, si la compañía así lo indicaba cuando escucharon el informe. Cuando McCutchen, Stanton y yo atravesamos el cañón de Webber en nuestro camino para adelantar al Sr. Hastings, nuestras conclusiones fueron que muchos de los vagones serían destruidos al intentar atravesar el cañón. El Sr. Stanton y McCutchen debían regresar a nuestra compañía tan rápido como sus caballos lo soportaran, ya que casi se habían agotado. Llegué a la compañía por la tarde y les informé de las conclusiones con respecto al cañón de Weber, al mismo tiempo que les dije que la ruta que había abierto ese día era justa, pero que requeriría un trabajo considerable para limpiar y excavar. Acordaron con voz unánime tomar ese camino si yo los dirigía en la construcción del camino, ellos trabajaron fielmente hasta completarlo.

El 19 de octubre, mientras viajábamos por el Truckee, nuestros corazones se alegraron por el regreso de Stanton, con siete mulas cargadas de provisiones. McCutchen estaba enfermo y no podía viajar, pero el capitán Sutter había enviado a dos de sus vaqueros indios, Luis y Salvador, con Stanton. Hambrientos como estábamos, Stanton nos trajo algo mejor que comida: la noticia de que mi padre estaba vivo. Stanton lo había conocido ni lejos de Sutter's Fort; llevaba tres días sin comer y su caballo no podía llevarlo. Stanton le había dado un caballo y algunas provisiones y él se había ido. Ahora empacamos lo poco que nos quedaba en una mula y comenzamos con Stanton. Mi madre montaba en mula, llevando a Tommy en su regazo; Patty y Jim cabalgaban detrás de los dos indios, y yo detrás del Sr. Stanton, y así continuamos nuestro viaje a través de la lluvia.

William Eddy, C.T. Stanton, William Graves, Jay Fosdick, James Smith, Charles Burger, William Foster, Antoine (un español), John Baptiste, Lewis, Salvadore, Augustus Spitzer, Mary Graves, Sarah Fosdick y Milton Elliot, siendo los más fuertes del grupo, Empezó a cruzar las montañas a pie. Eddy, al narrar la afligida historia, me dijo que nunca podría olvidar la escena de separación entre él y su familia; pero esperaba entrar y obtener alivio, y regresar con los medios para su rescate. Comenzaron con un pequeño trozo de carne cada uno; pero apenas se habían alejado a menos de tres millas de la cima del paso, cuando la nieve, que era blanda y de unos diez pies de profundidad, los obligó de nuevo a regresar a las cabañas, a las que llegaron hacia la medianoche.

Al día siguiente, muy débil por la falta de comida, reanudó su caza, y finalmente se encontró con un enorme sendero de osos espeluznantes. En otras circunstancias, habría preferido ver las huellas de uno a ver al animal en sí. Pero ahora, débil y débil como estaba, estaba ansioso por encontrarlo ... No tardó en encontrar el objeto de su búsqueda. A una distancia de unos noventa metros, vio al oso, con la cabeza en el suelo, empeñado en cavar raíces. La bestia estaba en una pequeña falda de la pradera, y el Sr. Eddy, aprovechándose de un gran abeto cerca del cual se encontraba en ese momento, se mantuvo oculto. Después de haberse metido en la boca la única bala que no estaba en su arma, para poder recargar rápidamente en caso de emergencia, disparó deliberadamente. El oso inmediatamente se encabritó sobre sus patas traseras y, al ver el humo del arma del Sr. Eddy, corrió ferozmente hacia él, con las mandíbulas abiertas. Cuando se recargó el arma, el oso alcanzó el árbol y, con un gruñido feroz, persiguió al señor Eddy a su alrededor, quien, corriendo más rápido que el animal, se acercó con él por la parte trasera y lo inutilizó de un disparo. en el hombro, de modo que ya no pudo perseguirlo. Luego despachó al oso dándole un golpe en la cabeza con un garrote. Al examinarlo, descubrió que el primer disparo le había atravesado el corazón. Luego regresó a Mountain Camp en busca de ayuda para traer su premio. Graves y Eddy salieron tras el oso. Sin embargo, finalmente lograron meterse en el oso después del anochecer. Eddy le dio la mitad al Sr. Foster por el uso del arma. También se le dio una parte al Sr. Graves ya la Sra. Reed. El oso pesaba alrededor de 800 libras.

No desanimados e impulsados ​​por la creciente escasez de víveres en las cabañas, el 20 (noviembre de 1846) lo intentaron de nuevo y lograron cruzar la línea divisoria; pero encontraron que les era imposible continuar por falta de un piloto, pues el señor Stanton se había negado a permitir que los indios los acompañaran por no poder sacar las mulas con ellos, que el señor Stanton había llevado allí con provisiones de JA Sutter's, previas a la caída de la nieve. Aquí nuevamente se arruinaron sus más cálidas esperanzas; y volvieron con el corazón apesadumbrado hacia sus miserables cabañas. La Sra. Murphy, su hija y dos hijos eran de este grupo.

El veinte (diciembre) salió el sol claro y hermoso, y alentados por sus rayos centelleantes, prosiguieron su fatigado camino. Desde el primer día, parece que el señor Stanton no pudo seguirles el ritmo, pero siempre había llegado a su campamento cuando encendieron el fuego y se hicieron los preparativos para pasar la noche. Ese día habían viajado ocho millas y habían acampado temprano; y cuando las sombras de la tarde los envolvieron, muchas miradas ansiosas se dirigieron hacia Stanton a través de la oscuridad cada vez más profunda; pero no vino.

Antes de la mañana, el tiempo se volvió tormentoso y, al amanecer, partieron y recorrieron unas cuatro millas, cuando acamparon, y acordaron esperar y ver si subía Stanton; pero esa noche su lugar estaba nuevamente vacío por el fuego triste, mientras que él, supongo, había escapado de todos los sufrimientos posteriores y yacía envuelto en su serpenteante manto de nieve.

El viento al día siguiente cambió al suroeste y la nieve cayó todo el día. Acamparon al anochecer y, al anochecer, llegó el señor Stanton. Reanudaron su viaje el día 22. Stanton llegó al campamento en aproximadamente una hora, como de costumbre. Esa noche consumieron lo último de sus escasas provisiones. Se habían limitado a una onza en cada comida desde que dejaron el campamento de montaña, y ahora el último se había ido. Tenían una pistola, pero no habían visto un ser vivo.

Durante este día (23 de diciembre) el Sr. Eddy examinó una bolsita con el propósito de tirar algo, con el fin de llevarse mejor. Al hacer esto, encontró aproximadamente media libra de carne de oso, a la que se adjuntó un papel en el que su esposa había escrito a lápiz, una nota firmada 'Tu propia querida Eleanor' en la que le pedía que la guardara para el último extremo. , y expresó la opinión de que sería el medio de salvar su vida. En la mañana de este día, el Sr. Stanton permaneció junto a la fogata, fumando su pipa. Les pidió que continuaran, diciendo que los alcanzaría. La nieve tenía unos cuatro metros y medio de profundidad. Stanton no los propuso.

Reanudaron su melancólico viaje y, tras recorrer un kilómetro y medio, acamparon para esperar a su compañero. No comieron nada durante el día. Stanton no se acercó. La nieve cayó toda la noche y aumentó un pie de profundidad. Ahora dieron por muerto al pobre Stanton.


Charles E. Stanton

Charles Egbert Stanton (22 de noviembre de 1858 - 8 de mayo de 1933) fue oficial del ejército de los Estados Unidos y alcanzó el rango de coronel. Veterano de la guerra hispanoamericana, se desempeñó como director de desembolsos y ayudante del general John J. Pershing durante la Primera Guerra Mundial. Stanton era sobrino del secretario de Guerra de Abraham Lincoln, Edwin M. Stanton. [1] Es mejor conocido por haber incluido la memorable expresión "¡Lafayette, estamos aquí!" en un discurso que pronunció en París durante la Primera Guerra Mundial.


Las escuelas y bibliotecas pueden acceder a imágenes de alta resolución mediante suscripción a American History, 1493-1943. Verifique si su escuela o biblioteca ya tiene una suscripción. O haga clic aquí para obtener más información. También puede solicitarnos un pdf de la imagen aquí.

Gilder Lehrman Colección #: GLC02382.018 Autor / Creador: Stanton, Robert A. (n. 1839) Lugar de escritura: s.l. Tipo: Carta firmada Fecha: 17 de mayo de 1864 Paginación: 1 p. 24,7 x 20,2 cm.

Informe de artillería durante la campaña de Spotsylvania. Con notas de Hunt & # 039s al reverso. Escrito desde la Reserva de Artillería de la Oficina de Artillería. Charles H. Whittelsey (1832-1871) se graduó de Yale en 1853. Sirvió en la Guerra Civil como teniente en la 1ra Artillería Pesada de Connecticut en 1862, y luego en el estado mayor del general Robert O. Tyler y el general Horatio G. Wright. Recibió el ascenso a brevet mayor por sus servicios en la campaña de 1864 ante Richmond y la campaña de Shenandoah Valley de 1864, teniente coronel brevet por su valentía en las batallas de Petersburgo y coronel por su valentía en la campaña de Appomatox. Fue nombrado general de brigada brevet por su valiente servicio en la Guerra Civil.

Charles H. Whittelsey (1832-1871) se graduó de Yale en 1853. Primero sirvió en la Guerra Civil como teniente en la 1ra Artillería Pesada de Connecticut en 1862, y luego sirvió más tarde en el estado mayor del general Robert O. Tyler y el general Horatio G. Wright. Recibió el ascenso a brevet mayor por sus servicios en la campaña de 1864 ante Richmond y la campaña de Shenandoah Valley de 1864, teniente coronel brevet por su valentía en las batallas de Petersburgo y coronel por su valentía en la campaña de Appomatox. Fue nombrado general de brigada brevet por su valiente servicio en la Guerra Civil.


Colección Charles P. Stanton

La Colección Charles P. Stanton contiene los resultados de cincuenta años de investigación genealógica. La mayor parte de la colección, Serie V, consta de más de 2,000 árboles genealógicos, correspondencia y materiales relacionados a más de 300 familias judías de las áreas de Nuremberg, Fuerth, Bamberg, Ansbach y Dinkelsbuehl. Algunas familias también tenían sucursales en Ichenhausen y Laupheim en Suabia. Muchas de las carpetas de esta serie contienen un "árbol genealógico maestro" compilado por Stanton. A menudo enviaba copias de estos árboles genealógicos maestros a los investigadores interesados. Representan la versión final de su investigación sobre una familia en particular. Las carpetas, que no tienen un árbol genealógico maestro, generalmente contienen versiones más pequeñas de árboles genealógicos, ya sea compilados por las propias familias o por Stanton. Casi todas las carpetas también contienen material de investigación y correspondencia, que contienen información genealógica adicional. Las notas y los borradores de los árboles genealógicos principales se pueden encontrar en la Serie IV. También se incluyen en esta colección notas sobre varios pueblos y ciudades de Franconia, ubicadas en la Serie III.

En la Serie II se pueden encontrar notas y materiales de investigación más generales, como mapas, índices antiguos, direcciones, obituarios y billetes de banco bien conservados de Theresienstadt.

La colección solo contiene algunos artículos personales relacionados con Charles P. Stanton. La serie I incluye documentos sobre su servicio militar, sus actividades como miembro de Grace Church y la asociación de antiguos alumnos de la Universidad de Cornell. Los usuarios también pueden encontrar correspondencia general que data principalmente de la década de 1990 en esta serie.

Fechas

Creador

Idioma de los materiales

Restricciones de acceso

Restricciones de uso

Puede haber algunas restricciones sobre el uso de la colección. Para mas informacion contacte:

Instituto Leo Baeck, Centro de Historia Judía, 15 West 16th Street, Nueva York, NY, 10011

Nota biográfica

Charles Perry Stanton's parents, Fritz and Hella Steinlein (née Kaufmann) were en route from Nuremberg to the United States when Charles was born in Zurich in December 1935. His older brother Peter was born in Nuremberg in August 1930. The family settled in Great Neck, NY and converted to Christianity. Charles Stanton was baptized and brought up as an Episcopalian. On November 9, 1938 the family changed the last name from Steinlein to Stanton.

Charles Stanton studied law at Cornell University and graduated in 1957. Following his graduation, he served as Lieutenant in the US Army until 1965. He then worked for J.P. Morgan for over twenty-five years. Later, he joined the financial services office of the Pratt family, which founded the Pratt Institute. He was also active in the local Episcopal church, and served as treasurer, clerk and member of the choir.

In 1969, Charles Stanton married Julia (Judy) Duke Henning. They had two daughters: Julie and Charlotte

Since the age of fourteen, Charles Stanton had been involved with genealogy and researched the Jewish families of Franconia, where his family had lived for many generations before the Holocaust. In the 1990s, he worked extensively with Gisela Blume from Zirndorf , Germany and Dan Barlev from Jerusalem.


Historic Site Sign

Antelope Station prospered with the mining industry, which by 1871 was flourishing along Weaver Gulch on the east and Antelope Creek on the west. During that year Charles C. Genung started construction of a road through town to accommodate the stage lines. Yaqui Wilson opened a store in partnership with John Timmerman, and a man named William Partridge started a hotel and station in prepa ration for the arrival of overland passengers. Barney Martin and his wife owned a neat red-brick store in the center of town. Thus Chuck Stanton had three competitors and he had a consuming determination to dispatch them all and be come the town's absolute ruler.

He hadn't long to wait for his chance to act, as prosperity soon brought the least desirable element to town with the advent of the notorious Venezuela gang, as bloodthirsty crew as ever roamed the Southwest. Stanton immediately be came an intimate of the Venezuelas and in mere weeks was their recognized leader. So began the bloody extermination of his competitors, one by one, and a rapid rise to power by methods as devious and ruthless as the man himself.

The road was completed by Genung in 1872, and Ante lope Station became a regular stop for two stage lines: the Pierson and the Jim Grant. Passengers from both lines in variably went to the Wilson-Timmerman store for rest and refreshments, a fact that infuriated Partridge and at the same time afforded Stanton a method of disposing of two hated rivals with one stone. His chance had arrived sooner than he'd expected.

In addition to running his store and stage stop, Wilson raised pigs and prickly pears at his home. One day when he was on a trip to Prescott , the pigs got out and caused considerable damage at Partridge's. Before Wilson 's return Stanton instructed his Mexican ruffians to pass the word along to Partridge that Wilson was out to get him. Receipt of this message, together with the existent ill feeling concerning the stage passengers, stirred Partridge to a white-hot fury, and immediately upon Wilson 's return, Partridge sent word for him to come and get his pigs forthwith. Wilson started to retrieve his pigs, carrying a sack of prickly pears with which to entice them home. A stage driver who witnessed the entire affair testified at the resulting trial that Wilson was unarmed when he started from his home. As he approached Partridge's place Partridge shot him dead without warning, then ran away and hid in the hills above town. The next day he proceeded to Prescott , where he gave himself up and was subsequently sentenced to the Territorial Prison at Yuma .


HistoryLink.org

During August and September 1841, the United States Exploring Expedition, commanded by Lieutenant Charles Wilkes (1798-1877), carries out a hydrographic survey of the Columbia River from its mouth to the Cascades. The expedition's appearance at Fort Vancouver alarms the British Hudson's Bay Company officials.

British and American Interests

Hydrographic investigations of the Columbia River course were not new when the United States Exploring Expedition began its survey of the river in 1841. Lieutenant William Broughton (1762-1821) of HMS Chatham had crossed the Columbia River bar in 1792 and used his ship's boats to survey upriver for about 120 miles to support British claims of territorial possession. In 1839, Royal Navy captain Edward Belcher (1799-1897) took HMS Starling y HMS Azufre upriver to Fort Vancouver.

The United States Exploring Expedition began charting the Columbia River in September 1841. Lieutenant Wilkes had made a preliminary visit to the Columbia in May of that year. He traveled overland from Nisqually and then by canoe down the Cowlitz River to the Columbia. From there, he descended to Fort George at the mouth of the river. Along the way, the view of Mount St. Helens inspired him to name the stretch of the Columbia near its confluence with the Cowlitz as St. Helen's Reach.

Charles Wilkes

Wilkes had received command of the Exploring Expedition only after several more senior officers refused it. He was junior for the responsibility but stood out among naval officers for his training in mathematics and triangulation. When first a candidate to go along on the expedition in 1828, he had been a lieutenant for only two years. In the following years he served as Superintendent of the Depot of Charts and Instruments at Washington, D.C. When the venture actually got underway in 1838, he moved into the commanding officer's slot despite having considerably less sea-going experience than some of his subordinates.

In July 1841, Wilkes sailed in his flagship Vincennes from Puget Sound to the mouth of the Columbia. He sent Vincennes on to California, taking command of USS Porpoise, another expedition vessel more suited to river exploration. los Oregón, a 250-ton merchant brig Wilkes purchased at Fort George, accompanied Porpoise on her upriver journey. Porpoise was a 224-ton, 10-gun brigantine (a two-masted ship rigged with square sails and a fore-and-aft mainsail) 88 feet in length, a 25-foot beam, and a depth in hold of 11 feet. The Boston Navy Yard built her in 1836.

On the Columbia

The ships served as home bases. Crews dispatched in the ships' boats did most of the hydrographic work. Fear of malaria dictated the working schedule. "Falling damps," or night dew was the suspected source of the disease. (We now know that malaria is caused by a parasite carried by infected mosquitoes.) Survey boats did not leave the ships before 9 a.m. Before departing, surveyors put on clean and dry clothing, breakfasted, and took time to smoke. Wilkes required that the boats return at least an hour before sunset. Then the ships spread awnings fore and aft as shelters from nighttime moisture.

Wilkes led the way as the expedition moved upriver. His gig was constantly ahead of the other boats. When sailors left a campfire unattended at the foot of Mount Coffin, near the mouth of the Cowlitz, it set fire to trees where Indians had placed their dead in canoes. He attempted to placate the Chinooks with presents, explaining that the conflagration was an accident. Later Wilkes said that there probably would have been trouble, were the Indians not so weakened by malaria and smallpox.

Smoke on the River

Porpoise y Oregón followed the boats upriver, occasionally running aground. On one occasion, they became stuck on opposite sides of the river. Assistant Surgeon Silas Holmes, an acerbic wit, commented that the ships "formed excellent buoys, pointing out the dangers on either side" (Stanton).

The surveyors also suffered from smoke generated by fires burning along the river. The Indians set them to clear ground and drive game. On at least one day, smoke lay so thickly over the river that the surveyors could not work. Wilkes, a stern disciplinarian, reprimanded Lieutenant William M. Walker (1813-1866) for taking three bottles of brandy as a reward for his boat's crew, who "sweated and choked in the smoke that lay low on the river" (Stanton).

The Hudson's Bay Company

At the end of August, Porpoise y Oregón reached Fort Vancouver, about 100 miles from the sea. Wilkes sent Lieutenant Walker with four boats to continue charting as far as the falls at the Cascades, about 160 to 165 miles from the river mouth. Lieutenant Oliver Hazard Perry took four more boats to survey the Willamette up to its falls. The hydrographers concluded that sea-going vessels should go no farther than Fort Vancouver, where the Columbia was at least 14 feet deep at all seasons.

Coincidentally, the American explorers reached Fort Vancouver when Sir George Simpson (1792-1860), North American Governor for the Hudson's Bay Company, was visiting. Wilkes dined with Simpson and Dr. John McLoughlin (1784-1857), the official in charge of Fort Vancouver. While at Fort Vancouver, Wilkes made a side trip to the Willamette Valley. He told American settlers there that the time had not yet come to try to establish a civil government under the American flag. At this time, there were about 40 Americans in the Willamette Valley. None were known to be living north of the Columbia River.

Wilkes told Simpson that he intended to recommend that the United States claim the Oregon Territory as far north as 54°40'N (approximately today's southern boundary of Alaska). Sir George later wrote to the British Foreign Office saying that the land south of the Columbia was not worth contesting. But Britain, he recommended, should not "consent to any boundary which would give the United States any portion of the Territory north of the Columbia River" (Walker).

Hudson's Bay officers at Fort Vancouver offered every assistance and warm hospitality to the U.S. Navy party. Nevertheless, the appearance of two U.S. warships off the fort and Wilkes's revelation probably influenced the decision Hudson's Bay Company officials would later make to remove accumulated stores at Fort Vancouver to a new post at Victoria, which they established in 1843.

On the downriver trip, Wilkes became ill but continued to work. Then a 16-mile side trip up the Cowlitz nearly ended his life. On the way back to the Columbia, his gig hit a snag. The impact knocked down two of the boat's crew while low-hanging branches ensnared and nearly strangled the expedition's commander.

Porpoise
y Oregón reached the mouth of the Columbia on September 30. There they joined the Flying Fish. After taking on supplies, the expedition's ships left the Columbia River to sail south on October 9, 1841.

Paul Allen Virtual Education Foundation

Charles Wilkes (1798-1877)

Fort Vancouver, 1841

Sketch by Joseph Drayton, Courtesy Fuller, A History of the Pacific Northwest

Woodcut made on U.S. Exploring Expedition of Indian baskets, 1841

Woodcut by J. H. Manning, Courtesy UW Special Collections (NA4000)

Woodcut made on the U.S. Exploring Expedition of Columbia River Indian fishing huts, The Dalles, 1841

Woodcut by J. Drayon, Courtesy UW Special Collections (NA3996)

Fuentes:

Howard I. Chapelle, The History of the American Sailing Navy: The Ships and Their Development (London: Salamander Books Ltd., 1949) Barry M. Gough, The Royal Navy and the Northwest Coast of North America 1810-1914: A Study of British Maritime Ascendancy (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 1971) William Stanton, The Great United States Exploring Expedition of 1838-1842 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1975) David B. Tyler, The Wilkes Expedition: The First United States Exploring Expedition (1838-1842) (Philadelphia: The American Philosophical Society, 1968) Dale L. Walker, Pacific Destiny: The Three Century Journey to the Oregon Country (New York: Tom Doherty Associates, 2000) Charles Wilkes, Narrative of the United States Exploring Expedition During the Years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, and 1842 Vols. I-V, Microfiche 20926-20929 (Chicago: Library of American Civilization, [1845] 1970).


Chales Tyler Stanton - History

Springboro Area Yesterday:

“Springboro has never had the advantages to be derived from a railroad connection with the outside world,” bemoaned Jessie Wright in his 1915, centennial address for the village. “Let us hope that Springboro may yet get on the map…the railroad map.”

Were Jesse Wright to return to his hometown today he may be surprised to find the flourishing community which exists in spite of an absence of the hoped-for railroad. The tiny village founded on the banks of Clear Creek in 1815, by his grandfather, Jonathan, now sprawls into two counties, Warren and Montgomery, in beautiful southwest Ohio. The Springboro Area Historical Society preserves Jessie’s words and spirit in its dedication to the unique heritage of its ancestors. The historical society came together in 1992, to save the 1798, Christian and Charles Null cabin located on what is now Heatherwoode Golf Course and its work continues with preservation and education efforts throughout the community.

A commemorative history, edited by Rebecca Hall, was published for the sesquicentennial in 1965, and in the 2003, Springboro Area Yesterday: A Pictorial History , a wonderful survey of the people and landscapes of the area, was produced by the City of Springboro Historic Commission in cooperation with historical society and edited by Rebecca Hall.

The museum offers a selection of local history and genealogy reference materials, maps of the city, township and county, and an large collection of artifacts and pictures.

Residents share the Society’s pride in their community since 1915, they have come together every Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day to parade through the historic streets of the old town.

Springboro’s founder, Jonathan Wright, followed his father, Joel, to the Miami Valley in 1814. The Wrights and perhaps a dozen other Quaker families came from their home in Pennsylvania, journeying along the Ohio River up the Little Miami River to Waynesville and nearby Springboro where they found clear, abundant water.

Jonathan Wright settled on the banks of Clear Creek, west of the earlier settlement, and in 1815, platted “Springborough.”

By 1840, 417 residents called Springboro home, with names such as Null, Stanton, Frey (Frye), Greggs, Crocketts and Mullins, joining the Wrights on the town roster.

Methodist Episcopal, Universalist, German Reformed and Presbyterian churches followed in short order.

The county has never been at a loss for religious sentiment with over 60 churches established by 1850, and many of the faithful soon moved on to found schools. Francis Glass is noted as the first school teacher, beginning in 1816, and by the mid 1800s, ten schools were scattered throughout the township serving 750 students. The Springboro Special School District opened in 1837, with lessons in English, mathematics, science and Latin.

Aron Wright served as president for nine years before returning to New York state unfortunately, the college did not long outlast him and its doors closed in 1883.

For more informal pursuits, residents turned to the Springboro Library Association, founded in 1832, at the corner of Market and Main Streets, where librarian and town physician Dr. Joseph Stanton presided. The Grange, Masons, Knights of Pythias, United American Mechanics and the Oddfellows offered philanthropic and social outlets for the gentlemen. Book Regular lectures and numerous book clubs informed and entertained local residents. Jessie Wright reports with some relish possessing the journals of a “mock Legislature” which met from 1841-45, for a “profitable form of amusement during the long winter evenings,” including drama and debates.

Springboro’s Quaker roots remained strong. From its founding, when Jonathan Wright parceled lots to new settlers, a deed restriction prohibited the sale of whiskey on the land for a period of ten years. However, thirsty travelers were not without respite Wright’s property ended at North and Franklin Streets and ingenuity led to all the taverns being located north of that line in “Carr’s Addition.” Jessie’s centennial address also notes “no less than fifteen distilleries” in a two mile radius of the village in its early days. The Women’s Christian Temperance Union, a force to be reckoned with throughout the county, succeeded in keeping liquor sales out of Springboro for over forty years in the late 1800s.

In 1999, Springboro erected the first municipal Underground Railroad Historic Marker and the city of Springboro participates in regular celebrations of its special place in a turbulent period of our national history.

Springboro’s population grew steadily at the turn of the twentieth century. Farmers from many of the nearly three hundred local farms moved to town in their later years looking for an easier life. By 1880, Beers’ History of Warren County listed Springboro census at 553. The next 100 years saw the town balloon to 12,380 (2000 census). The Springboro Community City School District has grown from an estimated 200 students in 1880 meeting in a single building at East and Market Streets to 5,500 students in nine buildings spread throughout the community. A new city hall and police department was inaugurated in 2009, at 320 West Central to afford local government sufficient space to meet the demands of the growing community. A Strategic Master Plan was developed in the late 1990s and another ten years later in an effort to better oversee city expansion as local officials struggle to make that dream a reality with an updated Land Use Master Plan in early 2009.

For a town the railroad left behind, Springboro has done well indeed, and the people of Springboro remain committed to recording its history – and its progress – for years to come.

“A Time to Look Back.” Bicentennial Supplement to The Western Star. 30 June 1976. (MFH)

(The) History of Warren County . Chicago, Illinois: W.H. Beers & Co., 1882.

Springboro Area Yesterday: A Pictorial History . Rebecca Easton Hall, ed.

Springboro Community City School District website .

In 2000, the City of Springboro completed their study and creation of Springboro’s Historic Design Standards (pdf). Though oriented towards preservation of our historic buildings through design standards, a good deal of the history of Springboro and the history of architecture, design and construction is included in the one hundred twenty-eight page report.

The house to left is on the northwest corner of S. Main St and Market St. and was built around 1858, by James P. Griffin, a druggist. The outlines of the house can still be seen behind the commercial facade. Later, William H. Newport, a dry goods merchant, lived there, and it was then occupied from 1892-1910, by Joseph M. Bunnell, a grocer, per Rob Strawser’s Yesterday, Historic Properties in Springboro , Historic Homes, Property Sales and Transaction in Olde Springboro and Surrounding Lands .)


The Enslaved Households of President John Tyler

Born to an affluent family in 1790, John Tyler spent most of his life in Charles City County, Virginia. He was raised on the Tyler family plantation, Greenway, and primarily lived there until his marriage to Letitia Christian in 1813. 1 His father, John Tyler Sr., served as a representative in the Virginia House of Delegates, governor of Virginia, and eventually judge of the United States District Court for the District of Virginia. Judge Tyler was also a prominent slave owner—by 1810, there were twenty-six enslaved individuals living at Greenway plantation. 2 These enslaved men, women, and children were the people maintaining the property, farming the land, and providing the means for the growing Tyler family.

Like his father, John attended the College of William and Mary, graduating in 1807. He then prepared for a career in law, studying with his father and Edmund Randolph, former United States Attorney General. After Judge Tyler died in 1813, he left Greenway and thirteen enslaved individuals to his son John. 3 That same year, John purchased a tract of land in Charles City County and built his own plantation, Woodburn, shortly thereafter. 4 According to the 1820 census, there were twenty-four enslaved people living at Woodburn with the Tylers. 5 Ten years later, the Tyler household had grown exponentially from three to seven children, ranging in age from fifteen-year-old Mary to newborn Tazewell. The enslaved community had grown as well—twenty-nine individuals, more than half of which were under the age of ten, were counted at the Tyler property. These enslaved children helped their mothers and fathers with their various tasks, but some likely became young caretakers for the Tyler children. 6

During the 1820s and 1830s, Tyler held a series of prominent political positions at both the state and national level. While he considered himself a Democrat, he sometimes opposed President Andrew Jackson’s policies—specifically whenever the president opted to use executive power at the expense of the states. After he finished serving in the United States Senate, Tyler returned to practicing law and later ran for a seat in the Virginia House of Delegates. In 1839, the Whig Party nominated William Henry Harrison for president. Tyler, a Virginian slave owner and lifelong Democrat, was strategically added to the ticket to entice southerners to vote for Harrison. This tactic, along with the campaign’s efforts to villainize President Martin Van Buren for the country’s economic woes while casting Harrison as a military hero and commoner, delivered a decisive electoral victory for the Whig Party. “Tippecanoe and Tyler Too” became the oft-repeated slogan of their supporters, but this relationship changed dramatically after the unexpected death of President Harrison on April 4, 1841. Click here to learn more about the enslaved households of President Martin Van Buren.

This 1888 engraving depicts a messenger delivering the news of President William Henry Harrison's death to Vice President John Tyler at his Williamsburg home on April 5, 1841.

Fletcher Webster, the son of Secretary of State Daniel Webster, delivered the shocking news to Vice President John Tyler at his home in Williamsburg, Virginia. Tyler set out for Washington, D.C., and quickly asserted himself as the new President of the United States. He took a new oath of office with the members of Harrison’s Cabinet present, and three days later issued an inaugural address to the American people:

For the first time in our history the person elected to the Vice-Presidency of the United States, by the happening of a contingency provided for in the Constitution, has had devolved upon him the Presidential office…My earnest prayer shall be constantly addressed to the all-wise and all-powerful Being who made me, and by whose dispensation I am called to the high office of President of this Confederacy, understandingly to carry out the principles of that Constitution which I have sworn "to protect, preserve, and defend." 7

About a week after Harrison’s funeral, President Tyler and his family moved into the Executive Mansion. There is little surviving documentation that tells us about the household staff, but there are bits and pieces of evidence suggesting that there were both free and enslaved African Americans working at the Tyler White House. 8 Abolitionist William Still’s The Underground Rail Road detailed the lives and experiences of African Americans who made the journey from slavery to freedom. Still shared the biography of James Hambleton Christian, who was born into slavery on the plantation of Robert Christian and claimed he was the half-brother of First Lady Letitia Christian Tyler. 9 James worked for both the Christian and Tyler families, and at the Tyler White House.

The Colored American, November 20, 1841

NewsBank/ American Antiquarian Society

There was also a man named James Wilkins, who worked as a butler for the first family. While there is scant documentation about him, newspaper accounts suggest that he was a free man who worked for wages and managed the staff. An African-American newspaper in New York City, The Colored American, published an article about him on November 20, 1841, and it was picked up by multiple presses throughout the country. According to this column, Wilkins had his own office, oversaw the expenses of the house, and employed both his son and daughter to work at the President’s House. The article concluded: “President Tyler has in all 18 colored persons hired—he has but two of his slaves with him, as servants. This is the first time that any of our Presidents have made a colored man the chief butler of his household. His ‘illustrious predecessors’ have had white men. Surely we are getting up slowly.” 10 While there were certainly other possible motivations for printing this news, Wilkins does appear again during an 1842 debate in the House of Representatives. He is referred to as “Jim Wilkins, the President’s butler,” which suggests that Wilkins did have a role—and a higher one—than expected for the times. 11

There is another documented enslaved individual—President Tyler’s valet—though there is some confusion over his actual name. Contemporary accounts refer to him as either “Armistead” or “Henry” another possibility may be that his name was actually Henry Armistead. Regardless, he appears in the news as one of the six victims of the tragic explosion aboard the USS Princeton on February 28, 1844. New Jersey Congressman George Sykes, who was on board the Princeton, described him as “the president’s servant…a stout black man about 23 or 24 years old and lived about an hour after” the accident. While Sykes doesn’t give a name, he did mention that “the blackman’s” coffin was made of cherry, and “the president’s servant was buried by the coloured persons—and his relations—the next day.” 12 The Daily Madisonian noted that there were six hearses, one of which “conveyed the body of one of the President’s colored servants, to the President’s mansion.” 13 While newspaper coverage fails to shed more light on this particular individual, they do consistently state that one of the president’s servants—likely his enslaved valet—was killed on the Princeton. Writing from the White House that fall, Julia Gardiner Tyler mentioned an enslaved woman named "Aunt Fanny" in a letter to her mother Fanny was likely brought to Washington by President Tyler. These four identified individuals, a mix of free and enslaved African Americans, worked in the Tyler White House. 14

The Daily National Intelligencer, February 28, 1844

NewsBank/American Antiquarian Society

Newspaper accounts from the time also suggest that there were other enslaved individuals working at the White House. Two days before the Princeton explosion, an investigation began into an alleged robbery that took place at the President’s House. De acuerdo con la Daily National Intelligencer, “a colored woman named Mary Murphy” was “charged with stealing silver table and teaspoons, the property of the United States.” The magistrates held a man named “Avery” on the charge of receiving stolen property, and the report also mentioned that “a colored servant belonging to the President is also implicated in this theft.” 15

According to the 1844 D.C. Criminal Court records, George Avery and Susan Goodyear were first charged with larceny in March however, the charges were reduced to receiving stolen goods in June. John Tyler, Jr., was present at their court appearances, likely as a witness on behalf of his father. According to one newspaper, “Susan Goodyear, indicted for receiving three silver spoons belonging to the President’s House, knowing them to have been stolen, was acquitted…George Avery, also indicted for the same offence, was acquitted. Mr. Hoban, counsel for the accused, submitted a number of testimonials from gentlemen in Baltimore and Alexandria, showing for the accused an excellent character.” In a great twist of irony, the public defender for Avery was James Hoban, Jr., the son of the architect who built and rebuilt the President’s House. dieciséis

The criminal court records indicate that this theft occurred—but what of Mary Murphy and the implicated enslaved servant? Her absence from the court proceedings means she was never charged with a crime—and if she was a free woman, the city attorney certainly would have prosecuted her for stealing from the President’s House. However, if Mary Murphy was enslaved and hired out to work at the Tyler White House, her owner may have decided to sell her before she faced charges and lost her value. Many slave owners sold those that resisted enslavement, or in their minds “misbehaved” or were “troublesome” as a result, enslaved individuals lived with the constant fear that at any moment they could be sold and sent to the Deep South.

This court docket shows that George Avery and Susan Goodyear, charged with "Receiving Stolen Goods," were found 'Not Guilty' by a jury of peers on February 7, 1845.

Record Group 21, Records of the U.S. Criminal Court for the District of Columbia, National Archives and Records Administration

Mary’s owner may have been a man named Jeremiah Murphy, who ran a confectionary store on Pennsylvania Avenue between 9th and 10th streets. According to the 1840 census, Murphy owned one enslaved woman—and this woman’s experience working at this type of establishment may have made her a valuable employee in a kitchen or dining room, places where a servant would have direct access to tableware. 17 While this theory is speculative, it might explain Mary Murphy’s disappearance from the criminal court records and newspaper coverage. If the newspaper account is true and President Tyler’s enslaved servant aided Mary’s alleged theft, he or she might have faced a similar punishment, but there is no surviving documentation of this individual.

President Tyler appears seldom in these records, but when he does, it is usually an instance of nolle prosequi, a Latin phrase meaning “we shall no longer prosecute.” The President of the United States served as an executive to the country and within the District itself. Lawyers could appeal on behalf of their defendants by going directly to the president, who possessed the authority to direct the city attorney to drop criminal charges. President Tyler used this power several times in 1844—first, for John Green and Thomas Ratcliff, charged with larceny on March 6. The other instances were for two enslaved men, Samuel Gassaway and Charles Coates, charged with housebreaking and stealing. According to one newspaper account, Gassaway and Coates stole “three pairs of boots and a box of cigars” from the Georgetown store of James and Henry Thecker. They were found guilty and subject to punishment by death, but their case was “recommended to the clemency of the Executive.” 18 On June 20, 1844, President Tyler directed the city attorney to drop the charges against these enslaved men—but not much else is known about them. The president used this legal authority sparingly, which suggests that he knew of them or, upon hearing appeals from their owners, politely acquiesced to their requests. 19 Research is ongoing to learn more about Samuel Gassaway, Charles Coates, and whether they had any prior relationship to President Tyler or the Tyler family.

This court docket shows that "Neg. Saml Gassaway" was charged with "House breaking & Stealing" in October 1843. Further down, the entry states: "Nolle Prosequi by direction of the President of the U.S. and by order of the District Attorney. Filed June 20, 1844."

Record Group 21, Records of the U.S. Criminal Court for the District of Columbia, National Archives and Records Administration

Despite his appeal for a “lofty patriotism” over the “spirit of faction,” President Tyler quickly found himself at odds with Cabinet members and leaders in the Whig Party. His veto of legislation that would revive the Second Bank of the United States sparked a visceral reaction from both politicians and citizens alike. An angry mob descended upon the White House in the middle of the night, banging on drums and kettles while shouting obscenities at the president. They burned an effigy of Tyler, chanting “‘down with Tyler,’ ‘hurrah for Clay,’ [and] ‘give us a bank.’” 20 The Whig Party cast Tyler out, and most of his Cabinet resigned over this episode. Things became even more contentious when on July 22, 1842, Virginia Representative John Minor Botts presented a petition “requesting ‘John Tyler, the acting President of the United States,’ to resign his office and in case he do not comply with such request, they pray that he may be impeached, ‘on the grounds of his ignorance of the interest and true policy of this Government, and want of qualification for the discharge of the important duties of President of the United States.” 21 While this measure ultimately proved unsuccessful, this became the first instance of Congress attempting to impeach a president in American history.

The Daily National Intelligencer, October 26, 1843

NewsBank/American Antiquarian Society

Considering the political turmoil that engulfed his presidency, it was hardly surprising when neither party selected Tyler to be its presidential nominee in 1848. He quietly left office and returned to Sherwood Forest, his plantation estate in Charles City County, Virginia. 22 By 1850, there were forty-six enslaved individuals working at the Tyler property ten years later, that number decreased slightly to forty-four. 23 This increase also coincided with the second expansion of the Tyler family, as the president had married twenty-four-year-old Julia Gardiner in 1844. The couple went on to have seven children, and they enjoyed hosting guests for dinner and dancing at Sherwood Forest. Near the outbreak of the Civil War, Tyler served as a representative at the Peace Conference of 1861 but ultimately rejected the proposed resolutions. He would go on to serve as an elected representative for the Confederacy, but he did not live to see the end of the war.

On January 18, 1862, he died in Richmond, Virginia at age 71. While he had requested a simple burial, political leaders of the Confederacy organized a state funeral for the former president. His remains laid in state in the Hall of Congress in Richmond, covered “with the flag of his country.” 24 Memorial services were held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, followed by a procession to Hollywood Cemetery. 25 His death also marked a new era of uncertainty for the enslaved men, women, and children held in bondage by the Tyler family. Union soldiers descended upon Sherwood Forest in 1864, and their presence gave the enslaved community an opportunity to escape. The troops also inflicted damage on the property, stole items from the house, and confiscated or destroyed Tyler’s papers. 26 As a result, we know very little about those enslaved by the Tyler family—but hope to learn more as our research continues.

Thank you to Dr. Christopher Leahy, Professor of History at Keuka College, and Sharon Williams Leahy of History Preserve, for sharing their insights and research for this article.


Four Centuries

Algonquian-speaking Native Americans migrated here from the north at least 800 years before the first Europeans arrived, taking up land that had been occupied by other tribes as early as 10,000 years before. In 1613 Europeans planted a settlement at West and Shirley Hundred on the north side of the James River. Settlers planted six more settlements in quick succession along the same shore. The native inhabitants were scattered, but in diminished numbers they clung to the land.

From the early seeds of European settlement, great tobacco plantations grew and with them the need for labor. During the late 1600s and early 1700s, the labor of enslaved Africans quickly replaced that of English indentured servants. During the 1800s the Civil War brought emancipation to these slaves and other changes in the way residents earned their livelihood. Logging, fishing and small-scale farming became the primary way of life for Charles City residents well into the 1900s.

Today, only a small number of county residents continue to draw their livelihood from the forests, the water and the land. Yet, Charles City residents remain tied to this land, a timeless setting and the birthplace of ancestors.


Chales Tyler Stanton - History

Stanton's post office was established March 5, 1875 and was discontinued June 15, 1905. At the base of Rich Hill, Stanton had in its heyday a five stamp mill, boardinghouse, store, and at least a dozen houses. Named after Charles P. Stanton, the camp is rumored to have started as early as 1963. Stanton was killed in his own store by two Mexican bandits who were revenging Stanton's insult to one Cristo Lucero's sister. Stanton was a ruthless person who plotted to kill people for his own benefit and had the blood of many people on his conscious. He never committed the acts himself, but hired others to do them. Several buildings are still at the site today.

Originally named Antelope Station, name changed in 1875 to Stanton, with Charles P. Stanton as postma-ster, because there was another Antelope Station. - GT

Stanton (Antelope Station). To reach Stanton you shall pass Congress and drive in the north direction on SR 89. When you pass Congress keep eyes with the Frog Rock on the left side on the road. Road to Stanton is on the right hand, 2 miles after Congress. From SR 89 to Stanton is a 6 miles god dirt road. Stanton, originally named An-telope Station was a small town beside Antelope Creek. Charles P. Stanton arrived to Antelope Station in 1870 after he quit the job as in Vulture mine. The town had a stagecoach station, owned by one Englishman with the name William Par-tridge and country store wish was owned by G. H. "Yaqui" Wilson. Wilson had a pigs, and they were often on Partridge's ground and eat the things witch were stored for the travellers. Charles P. Stanton made a devils plans how to make use of arguments between Partridge and Wilson and how he can eliminate both of them, because he was thinking they will leave both business to him. So, one day when he meet Partridge, he told him that pigs owner are after him. That was a big lie, but Partridge believed him, and he shoot Wilson as soon he saw him. Partridge were arrested, questioned, convicted and sent to jail in Yuma. In Yuma he complained that the Wilsons ghost was after him all the time. But, the things were not as planet for Stanton. Wilson had a secret partner by the name Tim-merman who overtook the store, and the jailed Partridge had creditors who sold his stagecoach station to Barney Martin. Stanton, who was mad about all this, rented a group of desperado s leaded by a local gunman by the name Francisco Vega to take away both of them. Shortly after that, Vega killed first Timmer-man. In 1875 the town changed name to Stanton, with Charles P. Stanton as a postma-ster. Post office opened on mart 5, 1875. Beside Stanton, only man who had a power was Bar-ney Mar-tin. In July 1886 the remains of Martin and his family were found north of the town, killed from the ambush. On that way Charles Stan-ton become the brutally that control he was dreaming about, but not for a long time. In November that year the law was satisfied when a young member of Vega gang, Christero Lucero, shot Stanton because he bothered Luceros sister. When he was to escape from the town, he meets one of Stanton s enemies by the name Tom Pierson. When Lucero told him what he was done, story says that Pierson told him. "You don t need to escape. If you stay, it s you who shall have a reward". Nobody fall tears for Stanton and in following 4 years the town of Stanton become as dead as Stanton self even the town still has his name. Post office closed in 1890 when the miners closed but opened again in 1894. In the town lived about 200 people. Post office closed definitive on June 15, 1905 and Stanton become ghost town. Reason why the town is in good condition is because the town was closed for the public in many years. Only 3 buildings (private owners) from the original town stand today and they are good preserved and awake memories about "Old West". Stanton is turn on to be a RV park, and the area is owned by Lost Dutchman Mining Association who preserves buildings. Bobby Zlatevski

Stanton does allow the public into the gates to visit the Ghost Town. I know because I have been spending the winter there since 2002. Visitors just have to park at the flagpole and check in at the office. Lost Dutchman Mining Association is a gold prospecting organization and does not go about restoring buildings, but they have restored some of the old Stanton buildings so they can use them. Most of the buildings are used by club members. (2008)


Stanton
Courtesy Joe Grumbo


Charles Stanton and his store
Courtesy Sharlot Hall Museum, Prescott


Stanton


Stanton


Ver el vídeo: Charles Tyler Show Chose Women Over Health - PassportGang Leader Died In His Sin (Mayo 2022).