Podcasts de historia

Breckinridge DD- 148 - Historia

Breckinridge DD- 148 - Historia

Breckinridge

(DD-148: dp. 1154; 1. 314'5 "; b. 31'8"; dr. 9 '; s. 35.2 k .;
cpl. 122; una. 4 4 ", 2 3", 12 21 "TT .; cl. Wickes)

Breckinridge (DD-148) fue lanzado el 17 de agosto de 1918 por William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co ', Filadelfia, Pensilvania; patrocinado por la señorita Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, sobrina del alférez Breckinridge, y comisionado el 27 de febrero de 1919, comandante A. L. Bristol al mando.

Breckinridge se unió a la Fuerza Destructora, Flota del Atlántico que operaba frente a la Bahía de Guantánamo, Cuba. Fue empleada a lo largo de la costa este principalmente en el desarrollo y pruebas de dispositivos de sonar hasta que fue puesta fuera de servicio en reserva en Filadelfia el 30 de junio de 1922. Recomisionado en mayo de 1930, Breckinridge sirvió con la Flota de la Fuerza Scouting de los Estados Unidos, a lo largo de la costa este hasta finales de 1932. Navegó hacia el Pacífico, donde sirvió con la Fuerza Scouting desde Alaska hasta Pearl Harbor. En mayo de 1936 fue asignada al Escuadrón de Entrenamiento 10 y operó a lo largo de la costa este y en aguas cubanas hasta septiembre de 1936 cuando fue puesta fuera de servicio en reserva. Después de tres años fuera de servicio en Filadelfia, fue puesta nuevamente en servicio en septiembre de 1939 y sirvió en la División 66, Escuadrón Atlántico, en la Patrulla de Neutralidad. En diciembre de 1940 fue asignada a la Estación de Patrulla Costera, CZ Posterior a mayo de 1941 Breckinridge.ge tenía su base en Key West, Florida, patrullando y realizando experimentos submarinos y ejercicios programados.

Breckinridge operó a las órdenes del comandante, Caribbean Sea Frontier, en tareas de patrulla y escolta hasta diciembre de 1943, cuando fue asignada a los pies del Atlántico. Se unió a TG 21.13, un grupo de cazadores-asesinos, el 14 de enero de 1944 para barridos antisubmarinos del Atlántico medio. Al regresar a Norfolk el 27 de febrero después de una operación sin incidentes, TG 21.13 se disolvió y Breckinridge se dirigió a Boston para su revisión. El 22 de marzo de 1944 regresó a Norfolk e informó a TF 6Fo para escoltar un convoy a través del Atlántico. Partiendo el 24 de marzo de 1944, el convoy llegó al Mediterráneo sin interferencias. Sin embargo, en la noche del 11 al 12 de abril, numerosos aviones alemanes atacaron el convoy causando daños a Hollder.

Breckinridge regresó a Boston el 11 de mayo de 1944. El 27 de mayo se presentó para el servicio en el Comandante de la Frontera del Mar Caribe y operó en las cercanías de Guantánamo Bny, Cuba, hasta el 7 de febrero de 1945, cuando regresó al servicio con la Flota del Atlántico. Después de someterse a una revisión en Boston Navy Yard entre el 10 de febrero y el 31 de marzo, comenzó las operaciones en New London, Connecticut, como buque insignia de la División de Destructores 54.

El 30 de junio 104.5 Breckinridge fue reclasificado como auxiliar misceláneo AG 112 Después de un breve período de conversión en el anexo del Navy Yard de Nueva York, Bayonne, N. J., navegó hacia el Pacífico, llegando a San Diego el 21 de agosto. El 24 de agosto se presentó ante el Comandante de la División de Transportistas 12 para desempeñar sus funciones como guardia de avión y buque de escolta. Breckinridge operó en esa capacidad hasta que fue dado de baja el 30 de noviembre de 1945. Fue vendida el 31 de octubre de 1946.

Breckinridge recibió una estrella de batalla por su servicio en la Segunda Guerra Mundial.


Breckinridge DD- 148 - Historia

(DD-148: dp. 1154 1. 314'5 "b. 31'8" dr. 9 's. 35.2 k. Cpl. 122 a. 4 4 ", 2 3", 12 21 "TT. Cl. Wickes )

Breckinridge (DD-148) fue lanzado el 17 de agosto de 1918 por William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co ', Filadelfia, Pensilvania, patrocinado por la señorita Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, sobrina de Ensign Breckinridge, y encargado el 27 de febrero de 1919, el comandante AL Bristol en mando.

Breckinridge se unió a la Fuerza Destructora, Flota del Atlántico que operaba frente a la Bahía de Guantánamo, Cuba. Fue empleada a lo largo de la costa este principalmente en el desarrollo y pruebas de dispositivos de sonar hasta que fue puesta fuera de servicio en reserva en Filadelfia el 30 de junio de 1922. Recomisionado en mayo de 1930, Breckinridge sirvió con la Flota de la Fuerza Scouting de los Estados Unidos, a lo largo de la costa este hasta finales de 1932. Navegó hacia el Pacífico, donde sirvió con la Fuerza Scouting desde Alaska hasta Pearl Harbor. En mayo de 1936 fue asignada al Escuadrón de Entrenamiento 10 y operó a lo largo de la costa este y en aguas cubanas hasta septiembre de 1936 cuando fue puesta fuera de servicio en reserva. Después de tres años fuera de servicio en Filadelfia, fue puesta nuevamente en servicio en "septiembre de 1939 y sirvió en la División 66, Escuadrón Atlántico, en la Patrulla de Neutralidad. En diciembre de 1940 fue asignada a la Estación de Patrulla Costera, CZ. Posteriormente a mayo de 1941 Breckinridge se basó en Key West, Florida, patrullando y realizando experimentos submarinos y ejercicios programados.

Breckinridge operó a las órdenes del comandante, Caribbean Sea Frontier, en tareas de patrulla y escolta hasta diciembre de 1943, cuando fue asignada a los pies del Atlántico. Se unió a TG 21.13, un grupo de cazadores-asesinos, el 14 de enero de 1944 para barridos antisubmarinos del Atlántico medio. Al regresar a Norfolk el 27 de febrero después de una operación sin incidentes, TG 21.13 se disolvió y Breckinridge se dirigió a Boston para su revisión. El 22 de marzo de 1944 regresó a Norfolk e informó a TF 6 para escoltar un convoy a través del Atlántico. Partiendo el 24 de marzo de 1944, el convoy llegó al Mediterráneo sin interferencias. Sin embargo, en la noche del 11 al 12 de abril, numerosos aviones alemanes atacaron el convoy causando daños a Hollder.

Breckinridge regresó a Boston el 11 de mayo de 1944. El 27 de mayo se presentó para el servicio en el Comandante de la Frontera del Mar Caribe y operó en las cercanías de la Bahía de Guantánamo, Cuba, hasta el 7 de febrero de 1945, cuando regresó al servicio con la Flota del Atlántico. Después de someterse a una revisión en Boston Navy Yard entre el 10 de febrero y el 31 de marzo, comenzó las operaciones en New London, Connecticut, como buque insignia de la División 54 del Destructor.

El 30 de junio 104.5 Breckinridge fue reclasificado como auxiliar misceláneo AG 112. Después de un breve período de conversión en el anexo del Navy Yard de Nueva York, Bayonne, N. J., navegó hacia el Pacífico, llegando a San Diego el 21 de agosto. El 24 de agosto se presentó ante el comandante de la División 12 de portaaviones para desempeñarse como guardia de avión y embarcación de escolta. Breckinridge operó en esa capacidad hasta que fue dado de baja el 30 de noviembre de 1945. Fue vendida el 31 de octubre de 1946.


USS Breckinridge DD-148

Solicite un paquete GRATUITO y obtenga la mejor información y recursos sobre el mesotelioma durante la noche.

Todo el contenido es copyright 2021 | Sobre nosotros

Publicidad de abogados. Este sitio web está patrocinado por Seeger Weiss LLP con oficinas en Nueva York, Nueva Jersey y Filadelfia. La dirección principal y el número de teléfono de la empresa son 55 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park, Nueva Jersey, (973) 639-9100. La información de este sitio web se proporciona únicamente con fines informativos y no pretende proporcionar asesoramiento legal o médico específico. No deje de tomar un medicamento recetado sin antes consultar con su médico. Suspender un medicamento recetado sin el consejo de su médico puede provocar lesiones o la muerte. Los resultados anteriores de Seeger Weiss LLP o sus abogados no garantizan ni predicen un resultado similar con respecto a ningún asunto futuro. Si usted es un propietario legal de los derechos de autor y cree que una página de este sitio se sale de los límites del "Uso legítimo" e infringe los derechos de autor de su cliente, puede ser contactado con respecto a asuntos de derechos de autor en [email & # 160protected].


¿Qué son los números de modelo de la tabla de Mersman?

Las tablas Mersman se identifican por los números de cuatro dígitos ubicados en la parte inferior de la mesa. Mersman fue una popular empresa de fabricación de muebles durante más de un siglo. A lo largo de los años, fabricó millones de mesas y otros artículos.

La empresa comenzó como un aserradero en el siglo XIX con varios aserraderos en Indiana. J. B. Mersman comenzó a fabricar mesas con el nombre de Mersman aproximadamente en 1876 después de trasladar su negocio a Ohio. Posteriormente, la empresa se expandió a la fabricación de camas y piezas de cama. Su negocio tuvo tanto éxito que Celina, Ohio, le ofreció dinero para que instalara una fábrica allí. Pronto, amplió su línea de productos agregando mesas de comedor y biblioteca.

Uno de los más vendidos de Mersman en la década de 1920 se llamaba "Davenport", que se conoce como mesa de sofá. La compañía enumeró 139 tipos de sofás en 1928, a precios considerados caros en ese momento.

Sus otros productos incluyeron mesas de puerta, gabinetes de mesa de radio, mesas de biblioteca y lo que estuvo entre las primeras mesas de café.

Las mesas se fabricaron con patas hechas del árbol de goma y las tapas se enchaparon en varios acabados, que incluyen palisandro, arce ojo de pájaro, ébano, roble ruso, caoba marrón y arce ampollado.


Los compañeros de clase de Joseph erigieron una placa en su honor en el Memorial Hall. Dice en parte: "Ambos seguros y firmes".

El "Registro de oficiales comisionados y suboficiales de la Armada y el Cuerpo de Infantería de Marina de los Estados Unidos" se publicó anualmente desde 1815 hasta al menos la década de 1970 y proporcionó rango, comando o estación y, ocasionalmente, palanquilla hasta el comienzo de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, cuando el comando / estación fue ya no se incluye. Se revisaron copias escaneadas y se ingresaron datos desde mediados de la década de 1840 hasta 1922, cuando se disponía de directorios navales más frecuentes.

El Directorio de la Armada era una publicación que proporcionaba información sobre el mando, la palanquilla y el rango de cada oficial naval activo y retirado. Se han encontrado ediciones únicas en línea desde enero de 1915 y marzo de 1918, y luego de tres a seis ediciones por año desde 1923 hasta 1940, la edición final es de abril de 1941.

Las entradas en ambas series de documentos son a veces crípticas y confusas. A menudo son inconsistentes, incluso dentro de una edición, con el nombre de los comandos, esto es especialmente cierto para los escuadrones de aviación en la década de 1920 y principios de la de 1930.

Los exalumnos enumerados en el mismo comando pueden o no haber tenido interacciones significativas, podrían haber compartido un camarote o espacio de trabajo, haber pasado muchas horas de observación juntos ... o, especialmente en los comandos más grandes, es posible que no se hayan conocido en absoluto. Sin embargo, la información brinda la oportunidad de establecer conexiones que de otro modo serían invisibles y brinda una visión más completa de las experiencias profesionales de estos ex alumnos en el Memorial Hall.


El transporte hizo cuatro viajes más a Francia para traer tropas a casa, luego fue transferido al Pacífico y llegó a San Francisco en enero de 1946. Una tripulación de la Marina reemplazó a su tripulación de la Guardia Costera allí en febrero, probablemente después de que ella fuera seleccionada como uno de los seis barcos. de su clase para ser retenida en la flota encargada de posguerra. Después de cinco viajes transpacíficos, entre octubre de 1946 y enero de 1947 General J. C. Breckinridge luego se convirtió en Filadelfia para empleo en tiempos de paz, con instalaciones especiales para dependientes militares. Ella retuvo su armamento pero perdió algunos de sus botes salvavidas. Breckinridge luego regresó al Pacífico donde mantuvo una apretada agenda de viajes entre la costa oeste de los Estados Unidos y numerosos puntos del Pacífico Occidental.

En octubre de 1949, todos los barcos del Servicio de Transporte Naval fueron reasignados al recién creado Servicio de Transporte Marítimo Militar (MSTS). Como buque operativamente subordinado al MSTS, fue redesignado T-AP-176, pero debido a que era un buque comisionado con una tripulación de la Armada, no civil, General J. C. Breckinridge conservó la designación "USS" en lugar de convertirse en "USNS".


Breckinridge được đặt lườn vào ngày 11 tháng 3 năm 1918 tại xưởng tàu của hãng William Cramp & amp Sons ở Filadelfia, Pensilvania. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 17 tháng 8 năm 1918, được đỡ đầu bởi cô Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, cháu gái Thiếu úy Breckinridge, và được đưa ra hoạt động vào ngày 27 thng dướ ngi Hải quân Arthur L. Bristol.

Breckinridge gia nhập Lực lượng Khu trục trực thuộc Hạm đội Đại Tây Dương, hoạt động ngoài khơi vịnh Guantánamo, Cuba. Nó được bố trí dọc theo bờ Đông Hoa Kỳ chủ yếu trong nhiệm vụ phát triển và thử nghiệm các thiết bị sonar cho đến khi được cho xuất biên chế vào ngày 30 tháng d 6 nă t vàn 1922.

Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 5 năm 1930, và phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu trực thuộc Hạm đội Hoa Kỳ dọc theo bờ Đông cho đến cuối năm i ng i ni nó và ni nó ni nó phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu tại khu vực từ Alaska đến Trân Châu Cảng. Đến tháng 5 năm 1936, nó được điều động cantó Hải đội Huấn luyện 10 và hoạt động dọc theo bờ Đông và vùng biển Cuba cho đến tháng 9 năm 1936 khi nó lại d lực bịa xuấ và

Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 5 năm 1930, và phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu trực thuộc Hạm đội Hoa Kỳ dọc theo bờ Đông cho đến cuối năm ng cho đến cuối năm i ng i ni nó vi nó ni nó ni nó nó phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu tại khu vực từ Alaska đến Trân Châu Cảng. Đến tháng 5 năm 1936, nó được điều động cantó Hải đội Huấn luyện 10 và hoạt động dọc theo bờ Đông và vùng biển Cuba cho đến tháng 9 năm 1936 khi nó lại d lực bịa xuấ và

Sau ba năm bị bỏ không tại Filadelfia, Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 9 năm 1939 và phục vụ cùng Đội 66 thuộc Hải đội Đại Tây Dương trong nhiệm vụ Tuần tra Trung lập. Đến tháng 12 năm 1940, nó được điều cantó Trạm Tuần tra Nội địa tại Vùng kênh đào Panamá, và cantó tháng 5 năm 1941 nó đặt căn cứ tại Key West, Florida, làm nhiện nhicn hn và thực tập.

Breckinridge hoạt động trực thuộc Tư lệnh Duyên hải Tiền phương Caribe trong nhiệm vụ tuần tra và hộ tống cho đến tháng 12 năm 1943, khi nó được điều về Hạm đội Đại Tây Dương. Nó gia nhập Đội đặc nhiệm 21.13, một đội tìm diệt, vào ngày 14 tháng 1 năm 1944 cho các hoạt động càn quét chống tàu ngần giữa Đại Tây Dương. Quay trở về Norfolk vào ngày 27 tháng 2 sau một đợt hoạt động an bình, Đội đặc nhiệm 21.13 được giải tán và chiếc tàu khu trục đi đến Boston, Massachusetts để đại tu. Vào ngày 22 tháng 3, nó quay trở lại Norfolk gia nhập Lực lượng Đặc nhiệm 6 để hộ tống một đoàn tàu vận tải vượt Đại Tây Dương. Khởi hành vào ngày 24 tháng 3, đoàn tàu đi đến Địa Trung Hải mà không bị ngăn trở. Tuy nhiên, trong đêm 11 tháng 4/11/12 tháng 4, nhiều máy bay Đức đã tấn công đoàn tàu, gây hư hại cho tàu khu trục hộ tống Poseedor.

Breckinridge quay trở về Boston vào ngày 11 tháng 5 năm 1944. Đến ngày 27 tháng 5, nó trình diện để phục vụ cùng Tư lệnh Duyên hải Tiền phương Caribe, và hoạt động tại vàngnh cậy năm 1945, khi nó quay trở lại hoạt động cùng Hạm đội Đại Tây Dương. Sau khi trải qua đợt đại tu tại Xưởng hải quân Boston từ ngày 10 tháng 2 đến ngày 31 tháng 3, nó tiến hành các hoạt động tại New London, Connecticut như là soái hạm của Đội khu trục 54.

Vào ngày 30 tháng 6 năm 1945, Breckinridge được xếp lại lớp như một tàu phụ trợ với ký hiệu lườn AG-112. Sau một thời gian cải biến tại chi nhánh của Xưởng hải quân New York ở Bayonne, Nueva Jersey, nó lên đường đi cantó Thái Bình Dương, đi đến San Diego, California vào ngày 21 tháng di Nóng n hoạ lệnh Đội tàu sân bay 12 vào ngày 24 tháng 8, làm nhiệm vụ canh phòng máy bay và hộ tống. Nó phục vụ trong vai trò này cho đến khi được cho ngừng hoạt động vào ngày 30 tháng 11 năm 1945, và bị bán để tháo dỡ vào ngày 31 tháng 10 năm 1946.

Breckinridge được tặng thưởng một Ngôi sao Chiến trận do thành tích phục vụ trong Thế Chiến II.


Historia [editar]

Breckinridge fue lanzado el 17 de agosto de 1918 por William Cramp & amp Sons Ship and Engine Building Company, Filadelfia, patrocinado por Miss Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, sobrina de Ensign Breckinridge. El barco se puso en servicio el 27 de febrero de 1919, con el comandante Arthur L. Bristol al mando.

Breckinridge se unió a la Fuerza Destructora, Flota del Atlántico que operaba frente a la Bahía de Guantánamo, Cuba. Fue empleada a lo largo de la costa este principalmente en el desarrollo y pruebas de dispositivos de sonar hasta que fue puesta fuera de servicio en reserva en Filadelfia el 30 de junio de 1922. Nueva puesta en servicio en mayo de 1930, Breckinridge sirvió con la Flota de la Fuerza Scouting de los Estados Unidos, a lo largo de la costa este hasta finales de 1932. Ella navegó hacia el Pacífico donde sirvió con la Fuerza Scouting desde Alaska hasta Pearl Harbor. En mayo de 1936 fue asignada al Escuadrón de Entrenamiento 10 y operó a lo largo de la costa este y en aguas cubanas hasta septiembre de 1936 cuando fue puesta fuera de servicio en reserva. Después de tres años fuera de servicio en Filadelfia, fue puesta nuevamente en servicio en septiembre de 1939 y sirvió en la División 66, Escuadrón Atlántico, en la Patrulla de Neutralidad. En diciembre de 1940 fue asignada a la Estación de Patrulla Costera, Zona del Canal de Panamá. Posterior a mayo de 1941 Breckinridge tenía su base en Key West, Florida, patrullando y realizando experimentos submarinos y ejercicios programados.

Breckinridge operó bajo el mando del Comandante de la Frontera del Mar Caribe, en tareas de patrulla y escolta hasta diciembre de 1943, cuando fue asignada a la Flota del Atlántico. Se unió a TG & # 16021.13, un grupo de cazadores-asesinos el 14 de enero de 1944 para barridos antisubmarinos en el Atlántico medio. Al regresar a Norfolk el 27 de febrero después de una operación sin incidentes, TG & # 16021.13 se disolvió y Breckinridge procedió a Boston para su revisión. El 22 de marzo de 1944 regresó a Norfolk e informó a TF & # 1606 para escoltar un convoy a través del Atlántico. Partiendo el 24 de marzo de 1944, el convoy llegó al mar Mediterráneo sin interferencias. Sin embargo, en la noche del 11 al 12 de abril, numerosos aviones alemanes atacaron el convoy causando daños a Poseedor.

Breckinridge Regresó a Boston el 11 de mayo de 1944. El 27 de mayo se presentó para el servicio en el Comandante de la Frontera del Mar Caribe y operó en las cercanías de la Bahía de Guantánamo, Cuba, hasta el 7 de febrero de 1945, cuando regresó al servicio con la Flota del Atlántico. Después de someterse a una revisión en Boston Navy Yard entre el 10 de febrero y el 31 de marzo, comenzó las operaciones en New London, Connecticut, como buque insignia de la División 54 del Destructor.


John Brown y aposs Fort

Los hombres de Brown & # x2019s pudieron capturar a varios dueños de esclavos locales pero, al final del día 16, la gente local comenzó a contraatacar. Temprano a la mañana siguiente, levantaron una milicia local, que capturó un puente que cruzaba el río Potomac, cortando efectivamente una importante ruta de escape para Brown y sus compatriotas.

Aunque Brown y sus hombres pudieron tomar la armería de Harpers Ferry durante la mañana del 17, la milicia local pronto tuvo la instalación rodeada, y los dos bandos intercambiaron disparos.

Hubo bajas en ambos lados, con cuatro ciudadanos de Harpers Ferry muertos, incluido el alcalde de la ciudad y # x2019s. Una milicia compuesta por hombres del ferrocarril de Baltimore & amp Ohio llegó a la ciudad y ayudó a los residentes locales a contrarrestar el ataque de Brown & # x2019s.

Brown se vio obligado a trasladar a los hombres que le quedaban y a sus cautivos a la armería y la casa de máquinas, un edificio más pequeño que más tarde se conoció como John Brown y el fuerte de # x2019. Efectivamente, se atrincheraron en el interior.

El ataque de la milicia pudo liberar a varios de los cautivos de Brown & # x2019s, aunque ocho de los hombres del ferrocarril murieron en los combates. Sin una ruta de escape y bajo un intenso fuego, Brown envió a su hijo Watson a rendirse. Sin embargo, el joven Brown recibió un disparo de la milicia y resultó herido de muerte.


Gente notable

El cementerio de Lexington refleja los cambios sociales y económicos que han tenido lugar en el condado de Lexington-Fayette. Dentro de sus puertas se encuentran personas de diferentes posiciones políticas, económicas y sociales, razas y religiones. A continuación se muestran los nombres de muchas personas que han hecho contribuciones destacadas al mejoramiento de su comunidad.

Haga clic en los nombres para conocer las muchas personas notables enterradas en el cementerio de Lexington.

Alford, Mitchell Cary (1855-1914)

Alford, Mitchell Cary (1855-1914)
Sección H, Lote 44
Graduado de la Facultad de Derecho de la Universidad de Kentucky (ahora Universidad de Transilvania) en 1880, Mitchell Cary Alford se desempeñó como comisionado principal, juez del Tribunal de Registro y # 8217 y senador estatal antes de ser elegido vicegobernador en la administración del primer gobernador John Young Brown . Durante muchos años fue tesorero del Hotel Phoenix.

Allen, James Lane (1849-1925)

Allen, James Lane (1849-1925)
Sección D, Lote 91
Un reconocido novelista del siglo XIX, James Lane Allen enseñó en la escuela durante varios años después de su graduación de la Universidad de Transilvania y antes de convertirse en autor. Allen se mudó a Nueva York, donde se dedicó a tiempo completo a escribir sus historias basadas en hechos reales. Su obra más popular fue Flauta y violín y Otros cuentos y romances de Kentucky, publicada en 1891. En este libro estaba la historia, & # 8220King Solomon of Kentucky & # 8221. Estructurada a partir de la leyenda del Rey Salomón, Allen la embelleció enormemente. Allen legó una fuente a la juventud de Lexington que se colocó en Gratz Park, luego se dedicó en 1933

Barlow, Milton (1818-1891)

Barlow, Milton (1818-1891)
Sección G, Lote 34
En cooperación con su padre, Thomas, Milton Barlow inventó y construyó el primer planetario en la platería de Milton. Originalmente, Thomas simplemente quería ilustrar los movimientos de los planetas para sus nietos, pero el proceso se convirtió en un esfuerzo de tres años de cuidadoso engranaje de engranajes de ruedas dentadas para producir las minúsculas revoluciones fraccionarias de los planetas. En 1844, padre e hijo vendieron su planetario a Girard College. Continuaron construyendo planetarios durante diez años, vendiéndolos por $ 2,000 cada uno y exhibiendo uno en la Feria Mundial de Nueva York de 1851 y # 8217s. Milton & # 8217s tombstone lee & # 8220Kentucky & # 8217s dos mayores inventores. & # 8221 Además de ser un inventor, Milton fue jefe de artillería de los generales confederados Abraham Buford y John H. Morgan.

Barba, José (1812-1858)

Barba, José (1812-1858)
Sección F, Lote 12
Como mariscal de la ciudad de Lexington en 1858, Joseph Beard murió en el cumplimiento de su deber cuando fue apuñalado por William Barker, un hombre al que arrestó por pelear en el medio de la ciudad. Cuando Barker fue encarcelado, la gente del pueblo se reunió airadamente afuera gritando & # 8220Cuelgúelo, cuélguelo & # 8221. La turba irrumpió en la cárcel y arrastró a Barker al palacio de justicia al otro lado de la calle. Se colocó una viga a través de una ventana del segundo piso a la que se ató una soga. Baker se vio obligado a pararse junto a la ventana mientras le colocaban la soga sobre la cabeza y luego lo empujaron por la ventana. La cuerda se rompió y Barker cayó de cabeza sobre el camino de ladrillos de abajo. La multitud enojada lo obligó a levantarse y volver a la ventana, donde lo colgaron hasta que murió. William Barker fue enterrado sin ceremonias en un campo de alfarero.
Marshal Beard fue enterrado con una gran ceremonia en el cementerio de Lexington. Su monumento dice: & # 8220 Una víctima de la violencia mientras cumple su deber como mariscal de la ciudad de Lexington.

Beauchamp, Frances E. (1857-1923)

Beauchamp, Frances E. (1857-1923)
Sección I-1, Lote 67
Frances E. Beauchamp, esposa de un abogado de Lexington, era una defensora estatal y nacional de la templanza, la prohibición y el sufragio femenino, así como defensora de la reforma penitenciaria. Beauchamp fue uno de los fundadores de la Hidman Settlement School.

Beck, James Burnie (1822-1890)

Beck, James Burnie (1822-1890)
Sección K, Lote 9
Habiéndose mudado a Estados Unidos desde Escocia en 1838, luego a Lexington en 1843, James Burnie Beck se graduó de la Universidad de Transilvania y comenzó a ejercer la abogacía. Fue miembro demócrata de la Cámara de Representantes de Estados Unidos de 1867 a 1875 y del Senado de 1877 a 1890. En 1848, se casó con Jane Thronton, hijastra del gobernador de Kentucky, James Clark.

Breckinridge, coronel William Cabell Preston (1837-1904)

Breckinridge, coronel William Cabell Preston (1837-1904)
Tramo O, Lote 126
Era un abogado, soldado, editor y estadista, conocido como el "orador de lengua plateada de Kentucky". Su caída fue la publicidad que recibió de una demanda por incumplimiento de promesa presentada en 1894 por Madeline Pollard en su contra. Fue noticia de primera plana en todo el país durante seis semanas. El tribunal otorgó a Pollard $ 15,000 en daños, luego el coronel Breckinridge anunció su candidatura para un sexto período consecutivo en el Congreso inmediatamente después.

Las sufragistas se excitaron y se opusieron públicamente a él. La Liga Nacional Cristiana para la Promoción de la Pureza Social envió una carta al Congreso en protesta. También enviaron una carta a la esposa del coronel Breckinridge pidiéndole, en nombre de la condición de mujer, que renunciara a su marido y se negara a vivir con él. Cuando llegó a Lexington para hacer campaña en mayo de 1894, Laura Clay había organizado un mitin & # 8220anti- Breckinridge & # 8221 en la Ópera. Asistieron las & # 8220 mejores personas en el condado de Fayette & # 8221 y entre ellas había 1,000 mujeres que dieron a conocer sus sentimientos en voz alta. Breckinridge perdió las elecciones y su carrera política terminó. Sin la capacidad de emitir un solo voto, las mujeres lo derrotaron.

Breckinridge, Dr. Robert (1800-1871)

Breckinridge, Dr. Robert (1800-1871)
Tramo O, Lote 151
Uno de los 25 fundadores de The Lexington Cemetery Corporation, el Dr. Robert Breckinridge fue educado en Princeton, Yale y Union College. Ejerció la abogacía en Lexington, sirvió en la Legislatura de Kentucky y se convirtió en superintendente estatal de instrucción pública. Ese puesto le valió el título de & # 8220 fundador del sistema de escuelas públicas en Kentucky & # 8221. A la edad de 28 años, se retiró de la vida política y se dedicó a la teología. Ordenado ministro presbiteriano, sirvió en Baltimore y en la Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana en Lexington. Se oponía a la esclavitud y, al comienzo de la Guerra Civil, él y otros establecieron la Danville Review, que apoyó firmemente a la Unión. Durante la guerra, Breckinridge fue asesor de Lincoln en Kentucky.

Breckinridge, Dr. Sophonisba Preston (1866-1948)

Breckinridge, Dr. Sophonisba Preston (1866-1948)
Tramo O, Lote 126
Hija de William Cabell Preston Breckinridge, Sophonisba Preston Breckinridge estudió derecho en la Universidad de Kentucky y se convirtió en la primera mujer admitida en el Colegio de Abogados de Kentucky. También fue la primera mujer en recibir un Doctorado en Filosofía en Ciencias Políticas de la Universidad de Chicago, donde se convirtió en Decana de la Escuela de Administración Social. Preocupada por la igualdad política y económica de las mujeres, se asoció con la Woman & # 8217s Trade Union League, donde ayudó a organizar huelgas de trabajadores de la confección & # 8217 en 1911 y 1915. Trabajando con las hermanas Clay, fue vicepresidenta de National American Woman & # 8217s Suffrage Association en 1911. Fue una de las primeras mujeres en unirse a la NAACP Representante en muchas conferencias internacionales, fue la primera mujer delegada en la Conferencia Panamericana en Montevideo, donde abogó por la extensión legal de los derechos de las mujeres para la igualdad en todas las naciones.

Breckinridge, general John Cabell (1821-1875)

Breckinridge, general John Cabell (1821-1875)
Sección G, Lote 1
El general Breckinridge podría considerarse uno de los héroes trágicos de la Guerra Civil. Este brillante caballero sureño se graduó de Center College en Danville, Kentucky en 1839 y estudió derecho en Transilvania. Después de servir como mayor del Tercer Regimiento en la Guerra de México, sirvió en la Legislatura de Kentucky y el Senado de los Estados Unidos. A los 35 años, fue vicepresidente de los Estados Unidos con James Buchanan. En 1860, fue nominado a la presidencia. Como senador durante el mandato del presidente Abraham Lincoln, Breckinridge trabajó por medidas de compromiso, pero en 1861 dimitió por la causa sureña. Rápidamente ascendió en las filas del liderazgo militar a Secretario de Guerra de los Estados Confederados. Tras la derrota del Sur, pasó cuatro años exiliado en Europa. Cuando finalmente se sintió físicamente seguro, regresó a Lexington. Un hombre con el corazón roto, mantuvo un perfil bajo, negándose incluso a comentar sobre política. Su estatua se encuentra en Cheapside Park.

Breckinridge, John (1760-1806)

Breckinridge, John (1760-1806)
Tramo O, Lote 134
Como abogado, John Breckinridge ayudó a enmarcar la Constitución de Kentucky. Se desempeñó como fiscal general de los Estados Unidos bajo Jefferson y fue presidente de la Sociedad Democrática. Tras mudarse a Kentucky a finales de 1780 & # 8217, Breckinridge sentó un precedente para un papel de liderazgo de larga data asumido por la familia Breckinridge.

Breckinridge, John Bayne (1913-1979)

Breckinridge, John Bayne (1913-1979)
Tramo O, Lote 133
Graduado de la Universidad de Kentucky, John Bayne Breckinridge alcanzó el rango de coronel en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, trabajó con el Departamento de Justicia en Washington y ejerció la abogacía en Lexington antes de ingresar a la arena política. Después de dos mandatos en la Cámara de Representantes de Kentucky, fue elegido fiscal general dos veces (en 1959 y 1967) y luego se convirtió en el sexto Kentucky Breckinridge en sentarse en el Congreso de los Estados Unidos (1973-1979).

Breckinridge, María (1881-1965)

Breckinridge, María (1881-1965)
Sección G, Lote 1
Después de graduarse de Nueva York & # 8217s School of Nursing en St. Luke & # 8217s Hospital, Mary Breckinridge se convirtió en partera certificada en un hospital de Londres, Inglaterra. Trabajó con el Servicio de Enfermeras Visitantes en Francia durante la Primera Guerra Mundial. Regresó a los condados remotos en las montañas de Kentucky y comenzó la Comisión de Kentucky para Madres y Bebés, que se convirtió en el Servicio de Enfermería de Frontera en 1925. Hasta ese momento, & # 8220catching el bebé & # 8221 por el padre o un vecino mientras la madre lo dio a luz desde una posición en cuclillas o sentada en una silla sin trasero había sido el procedimiento de parto estándar. Los & # 8220 ángeles de lomo de caballo & # 8221 viajaron dentro de 700 millas cuadradas alrededor de su hospital Hyden en el condado de Leslie. En los primeros 50 años de servicio, dieron a luz 12.262 bebés con una tasa de mortalidad materna de 9,1 por mil, mientras que la tasa nacional de mortalidad de mujeres blancas en el parto fue de 34 por mil. Al comprender el orgullo de la gente de las montañas, Mary Breckinridge les permitió pagar su atención médica a un mínimo de $ 2 por año y $ 50 por nacimiento. El pago era en dinero, armas, huevos o lo que tuvieran los montañeses.

Bruce, Benjamin Gratz (1827-1891)

Bruce, Benjamin Gratz (1827-1891)
Sección D, Lote 88
Para unirse a su hermano en la financiación de la revista Turf, Field and Farm en 1865, Benjamin Gratz Bruce abandonó la práctica de la medicina y un próspero negocio de abarrotes. Compiló los dos primeros volúmenes del American Stud Book y luego estableció The Livestock Record en Lexington. Una autoridad en líneas de sangre y actuaciones de pura sangre y un oficial de numerosas organizaciones de carreras, fue llamado & # 8220 el hombre mejor informado en los Estados Unidos sobre temas de pura sangre & # 8221.

Buford, Abraham (1820-1884)

Buford, Abraham (1820-1884)
Sección P, Lote 57
Graduado de West Point y veterano de la Guerra Mexicana, Abraham Buford fue comisionado general de brigada de caballería en el Ejército Confederado. Después de la guerra regresó a su granja del condado de Woodford, Bosque Bonita, donde se ganó una gran reputación como turfman. Un marcador del gobierno fue dedicado en su tumba por las Hijas Unidas de la Confederación en 1977.

Madrigueras, Nathan (1774-1841)

Madrigueras, Nathan (1774-1841)
Sección F, Lote 28
Los primeros colonos llegaron a & # 8220Kentucke & # 8221 porque querían tierra para cultivar. En 1796, Nathan Burrows inventó una máquina para limpiar cáñamo, una planta nativa de Kentucky. Rápidamente se convirtió en el cultivo más importante de la zona, aportando un estimado de medio millón de dólares al año a principios del siglo XIX y # 8217. Se necesitaba cáñamo para embolsar algodón y hacer cuerdas para embalar. Para 1810, entre 60 y 100 esclavos trabajaban el cáñamo en edificios largos y estrechos. Los edificios se llamaban paseos con cuerdas porque los esclavos caminaban de un lado a otro de los husillos, retorciendo la fibra de cáñamo en una cuerda mientras caminaban. With the importation of sisal from the Philippines after the Spanish American War, the hemp industry died. Burrows was resourceful and discovered a process for manufacturing mustard which also grew wild in Kentucky fields. His product won a premium at the World’s Fair in London in 1882.

Bush, Joseph H. (1794-1865)

Bush, Joseph H. (1794-1865)
Section P, Lot 74
One of the most popular early Kentucky portraitists was Joseph H. Bush, who studied with Thomas Sully in Philadelphia. After returning to his native state, Bush advertised in the newspaper and charged $150 per portrait. The fact that he was commissioned by some of the most prominent men of his time attests to his skill as a painter. Henry Clay, Dr. Benjamin Dudley, and even Zachary Taylor were his subjects. Like many other artists, he traveled south in the winter, often painting an entire family while he lived on his plantation in Mississippi or Louisiana.

Carty, Sr., John (1764-1845)

Carty, Sr., John (1764-1845)
Section C, Lot 25
A New Jersey native, John Carty, Sr. fought in the Revolutionary War prior to moving to Lexington. He served under Anthony Wayne in the Indian campaign of 1794 and, according to G.W. Ranck’s History of Lexington, he and Waldemard Mentelle “introduced into Kentucky the manufacture of earthen ware.”

Clay, Henry (1777-1852)

Clay, Henry (1777-1852)
Section M
Perhaps Kentucky’s most famous man was Henry Clay, who was actually born in Virginia. His father died when Clay was five. He did manual labor and worked in a drug store to help support his mother and family. At 16, he found a mentor, a Virginia lawyer who took him to Richmond to study.

Arriving in Lexington in 1797, Clay was seeking his fortune as a lawyer in a place known for many land disputes. His success in the courtroom propelled him into politics where he spent 43 years as a public figure, 27 years of which he was a U.S.Congressman and Senator. Among his accomplishments were the acquisition for the United States of Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, the admission of Missouri to the Union, and the annexation of the Republic of Texas. Clay served four years as Secretary of State. He is also remembered for his three unsuccessful quests for the presidency.

Following his death in Washington, his remains were returned to Lexington by train, carriage and barge. All along the 1,200 mile route, people gathered to salute “The Great Compromiser.” In Lexington, Clay lay in state at his home, Ashland, and it is said that when his funeral cortege was entering The Lexington Cemetery gates, the end of the procession of mourners was just leaving Ashland, more than two miles away.

Clay, James B. (1817-1864)

Clay, James B. (1817-1864)
Section I, Lot 55
The son of Henry and Lucretia Hart Clay, James B. Clay practiced law in Lexington with his father. He was charged d’affaires to Portugal in 1849-1850, served one term in Congress, and was a member of the peace convention which met in Washington in 1861 in a futile effort to avert war. A Confederate sympathizer, he found refuge in Canada, where he died.

Clay, Laura (1849-1941)

Clay, Laura (1849-1941)
Section J, Lot 6
Daughter of Cassius and Mary Jane Warfield Clay, Laura fought for woman’s suffrage and was elected first President of the Equal Rights Association organized in 1888 in New York City. She founded the Fayette County Democratic Club and was one of eight delegates to the 1920 National Convention in San Francisco, where her name was placed in nomination for President of the United States, a first for a woman.

Clay, Mary Barr (1839 - 1924)

Clay, Mary Barr (1839 – 1924)
Section J, Lot 6
Daughter of Cassius and Mary Jane Warfield Clay, Mary Barr attended the 10th anniversary meeting of the National Woman Suffrage Association in St. Louis in 1879 as a self-appointed delegate. There she arranged to bring Susan B. Anthony to Kentucky, where Anthony gave her “Bread, Not the Ballot” speech which emphasized that the ballot was necessary for the economic protection women needed. In 1883, Mary Barr Clay was elected president of the American Women Suffrage Association. It is thought by many that Mary Bar Clay’s greatest contribution to the women’s movement was her introduction of her sister, Laura Clay, to the cause.

Clay, Mary Jane Warfield (1815-1900)

Clay, Mary Jane Warfield (1815-1900)
Section J, Lot 6
Women from the Bluegrass State were important national figures in the beginning of the women’s rights movement.

Mary Jane Warfield Clay was the wife of hot-headed abolitionist Cassius Marcellus Clay, Ambassador to Russia. Born into a wealthy Lexington family, Mrs. Clay, like so many of the women of her time, did not live a life of idle luxury. Like most prominent public figures, her husband was away from home most of their married life. Mrs. Clay raised their large family, paid for the education of six children, managed her husband’s farm, enlarged his mansion White Hall, and paid his debts. During the Civil War, one source of her income was raising and selling mules to the Union Army. “I have had upwards of a thousand mules on the farm, eight hundred and fifty are gone now,” she wrote. When her husband returned from almost nine years in Russia, he brought with him the scandal of his philandering abroad and ultimately proof of his adultery: an illegitimate son.

The Clays divorced in 1878, and their daughters learned the realities of women’s legal rights. Although their mother had not only maintained his property but improved their father’s financial situation, she was not legally entitled to any recompense, nor did she have any legal right to the custody of the children.

Clifford, John D. (1778-1820)

Clifford, John D. (1778-1820)
Section I, Lot 14
A native Philadelphian of wealth and culture, John D. Clifford contributed greatly to Lexington’s reputation as the “Athens of the West.” He was a supporter of Translyvania University, the Lexington Athanaeum, and the Episcopal Church and was keenly interested in geology and other natural sciences. He and his wife, Mary Morton, a daughter of “Lord” William Mortan, lie in unmarked graves.

Combs, General Leslie (1793-1881)

Combs, General Leslie (1793-1881)
Section E, Lot 3
A hero known as the “boy-captain of 1812,” at the age of 19 Leslie Combs rode 100 miles through snow, water and wilderness to deliver a war dispatch. Later he was taken prisoner by the Indians and was forced to run the gauntlet at Fort Miami. After the War of 1812, he settled in Lexington to practice law. As a lawyer, trustee of Transylvania, member of the Kentucky House of Representatives, railroad pioneer, and state auditor, General Combs contributed much to the early development of Lexington.

Cooper, Thomas Poe (1881-1958)

Cooper, Thomas Poe (1881-1958)
Section 46, Lot 4
Born in Illinois, Thomas Poe Cooper devoted his life to agricultural education and to improving the quality of agriculture. He was dean of the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture from 1918 to 1951, a period in which the enrollment of the college grew from 200 to 1,000, and its facilities and services increased many fold. He was acting president of the university in 1940 to 1941, and served in many state and national organizations.

DeSha, Mary (1850-1911)

DeSha, Mary (1850-1911)
Section D, Lot 18
Born and educated in Lexington, Mary DeSha taught at Dudley School for ten years and became an early advocate for enfranchisement of women. In 1890, in Washington, she was one of the four founders of the Daughters of the American Revolution. A monument bearing the DAR seal was dedicated at her grave on December 16, 1915.

Dudley, Dr. Benjamin Winslow (1785-1870)

Dudley, Dr. Benjamin Winslow (1785-1870)
Section G, Lot 10
Someone wrote about Dr. Benjamin Winslow, who was considered by many a hero of the 1833 cholera epidemic, “Our physicians are either dead or broken down, Dr. Dudley alone I believe has stood it through, and is still on the alert.”

Receiving his early education Lexington, he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania medical department at the age of 19. In returning to Lexington, he was offered the Chair of the Anatomy and Physiology Department at Transylvania University. Dudley performed over 200 lithotomies, an operation for the removal of bladder-stones, with only six fatalities, and was among the first neurosurgeons in the United States to work in trephining. This surgery involved making a circular incision in the skull to release pressure, which was believed to cause epilepsy. Dr. Dudley has an international reputation for his successful operations for bladder stone, and was a pioneer in cataract and brain surgery.

Duke, Basil Wilson (1838-1916)

Duke, Basil Wilson (1838-1916)
Section C, Lot 17
Born in Scott County, Basil Wilson Duke practiced law in St. Louis. In 1861, he married Henrietta Morgan, a sister of John Hunt Morgan. During most of the Civil War he was Morgan’s second in command, and after the latter’s death he became a commanding general of a cavalry brigade. He was author of a History of Morgan’s Cavalry and a volume of Reminiscences. He served in the Kentucky House of Representatives and had a distinguished legal career.

Duncan, George Brand (1861-1950)

Duncan, George Brand (1861-1950)
Section D, Lot 120
A native of Lexington, George Brand Duncan graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1886. He served in the Spanish-American War in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines. In World War I, he was sent to France, where he won promotions from colonel to major general and headed the 77th and 82nd divisions. He commanded troops in several important offensives and was awarded French, British, and American decorations. He retired in 1925.

Duncan, Henry T. (1800-1880)

Duncan, Henry T. (1800-1880)
Section A, Lot 41 and 42
Born in Paris, Henry T. Duncan practiced law with the noted Thomas A. Marshall, and accumulated a fortune by manufacturing hemp and raising livestock. Later a resident of Fayette County, he was a founder of The Lexington Cemetery and president of the Clay Monument Association. In 1826, he married Eliza Dunster Pyke. Among their children was Henry Timberlake Duncan, Jr, who became an attorney, newspaper editor and twice mayor of Lexington.

Ficklin, Joseph (1775-1859)

Ficklin, Joseph (1775-1859)
Section D, Lot 106
During the Indian siege of 1782, Joseph Ficklin was with his family at Bryan Station. He was postmaster at Russellville. In 1814, he was appointed U.S. Counsul to St. Bartholomews, then in 1821 became editor of the Kentucky Gazette. From 1822 to 1841 and 1843 to 1850, Mr. Ficklin was postmaster of Lexington. In addition, he was a trustee of Transylvania University. A friend described him as “a very large man who was always followed by a small dog.”

Frazer, Oliver (1808-1864)

Frazer, Oliver (1808-1864)
Section I, Lot 53
Born in Fayette County, Oliver Frazer studied portraiture under Matthew Harris Jouett in Lexington and Thomas Sully in Philadelphia, then continued his education in Great Britain and Europe. Returning to Lexington, he was popular and busy as a portraitist until his eyesight began to fail about 1850.

Gibson, Randall Lee (1832-1892)

Gibson, Randall Lee (1832-1892)
Section K, Lot 7
A native of Woodford County, Randall Lee Gibson became a planter in Louisiana and entered the Confederate Army in the state as a private, rising to the rank of major general. After the war he practiced law, served in both houses of Congress, and was a promoter of Tulane University.

Granger, Gordon (1822-1876)

Granger, Gordon (1822-1876)
Section P, Lot 66
A veteran of the Mexican War, Gordon Granger served with distinction in the Civil War, rising from the rank of colonel of the Second Michigan Cavalry to major general commanding the Fourth Army Corps. For a time he was stationed in Lexington with headquarters at the Bodley House. After the war he married Maria Letcher of Lexington. He died at Santa Fe while commanding the District of New Mexico.

Gratz, Benjamin (1792-1884)

Gratz, Benjamin (1792-1884)
Section D, Lot 121
A contemporary of Colonel James Morrison, Benjamin Gratz was a wealthy business and civic leader, and for sixty-five years was one of Lexington’s most astute and valuable citizens. His home, Mount Hope, is still standing beside the park named for him. A partner with Colonel Morrison in hemp manufacturing, Gratz was also involved in many businesses in the city. Like Colonel Morrison, Gratz was a trustee of Transylvania. He was a curator for Kentucky University. Additionally, he was the first president of the Kentucky Agricultural and Mechanical Association. Gratz helped promote construction of the Maysville- Lexington road and the Lexington and Ohio Railroad. As a member of the city council, Gratz was instrumental in establishing Lexington’s public library, the first in the West. During the Civil War, Gratz was a Unionist, and he turned his home into a commissary and a cookhouse for the companies of Federal soldiers encamped on the lawn of Transylvania.

Gray, J. Archer (1878-1946)

Gray, J. Archer (1878-1946)
Section 32, Lot 13
As founder, and for nineteen years the pastor of the nondenominational Everybody’s Church, J. Archer Gray was a “minister at large” and counselor to Lexington’s and central Kentucky’s needy and unfortunate people. He was fatally injured in a traffic mishap.

Haggin II, Louis Lee (1913-1980)

Haggin II, Louis Lee (1913-1980)
Section 16, Lot 34
A past president of Keeneland Race Course in 1940 and the Keeneland Association in 1956, Louis Lee Haggin II was also the chairman of the board of the association from 1970 to his death in 1980. In addition to operating his own horse farm, he was an officer of the Thoroughbred Racing Association, Jockey Club, Thoroughbred Breeders of Kentucky, National Museum of Racing, and Grayson Foundation for Equine Research. In 1971, he was chosen the Jockey Club’s “Man of the Year.” He was a great-grandson of James Ben Ali Haggin of Elmendorf Farm.

Haggin, Ben Ali (1882-1951)

Haggin, Ben Ali (1882-1951)
Section 16, Lot 20
Although he never was a resident of Lexington, Ben Ali Haggin was noted in the Lexington community as a painter of society women and thoroughbred horses, as well as a designer of theatrical sets and tableaux in New York. He was a grandson of the fabulous James Ben Ali Haggin, founder of Elmendorf Farm and builder of Green Hills Mansion.

Hamilton, Holman (1910-1980)

Hamilton, Holman (1910-1980)
Section 14, Lot 12
An Indiana newspaperman, Holman Hamilton became a distinguished and popular member of the University of Kentucky history faculty. As the author of seven authoritative books and many articles on American history, he was often a visiting lecturer at other universities and was active in historical societies and historic preservation.

Hanson, Colonel Roger Weightman (1827-1863)

Hanson, Colonel Roger Weightman (1827-1863)
Section G, Lot 26
In September, 1861, when President Abraham Lincoln sent troops into Lexington and the Union flag was raised, the Confederate troop was led by Colonel Roger Weightman Hanson. The presence of Union troops in Lexington forced the First Kentucky Brigade to leave the Bluegrass. With no home, they were to be known as the Orphan’s Brigade. Under the leadership of Colonel Hanson, they fought at Shiloh, Vickburg, Chicamauga, Kennesaw Mountain, and in the defense of Atlanta.

Headley, Hal Price (1888-1962)

Headley, Hal Price (1888-1962)
Section J, Lot 52
As the owner of the 2,500-acre Beaumont Farm in Fayette County and a 10,000-acre plantation in Georgia, Hal Price Headley was one of the 20th Century’s most successful thoroughbred horsemen. He was chairman of the organizing committee of the Keeneland racetrack, first president of the Keeneland Association, leading owner at the first race meeting in 1936, and a founder of the Keeneland horse sales. He died at Keeneland while supervising the training of his horses.

Helm, Katherine (1857-1937)

Helm, Katherine (1857-1937)
Section F, Lot 36
A talented artist and author, Katherine Helm was a daughter of Confederate General Ben Hardin Helm and Emilie Todd Helm, a half-sister to Mary Todd Lincoln. Katherine’s portrait of Mrs. Lincoln hangs in the White House. She maintained a studio in New York for a number of years, but from 1912 until her death she lived and painted at Helm Place on Bowman’s Mill Road.

Huguelet, Guy A. (1891-1955)

Huguelet, Guy A. (1891-1955)
Section 44
Having become involved with intercity motorbus transportation in its infancy in the early 1920s, Guy A. Huguelet was instrumental in transforming the primitive, short-haul companies into the Southeastern Geyhound Lines, of which he was president. An attorney, he was active in many civic organizations, president of Keeneland Association, and chairman of the executive committee of the University of Kentucky.

Hunt, Charlton (1801-1836)

Hunt, Charlton (1801-1836)
Section D, Lot 105
When Lexington was incorporated in 1832, Charlton Hunt was named mayor. The new government was composed of 12 councilman, two of whom were Robert S. Todd and Benjamin Gratz. Under Hunt’s direction, the first public school was established and opened with 107 students enrolled.

Hunt, John Wesley (1773-1849)

Hunt, John Wesley (1773-1849)
Section C, Lot 17
Considered to be the first millionaire west of the Alleghenies, the family of John Wesley Hunt was one of Lexington’s most prominent families. He is the father of Charlton Hunt, who became the first mayor of Lexington. Coming to Lexington in 1795, John Wesley Hunt became a merchant, horsebreeder, hemp manufacturer, and banker. He was appointed postmaster by President John Adams in 1799. As postmaster, Mr. Hunt established a mail route from Lexington to Washington, D.C. That pony express route took two weeks to complete.

John Wesley Hunt built Hopemont (today known as The Hunt-Morgan House). The house is believed to be haunted by the old Negro nurse, Bouviette, who was called “Aunt Betty” by the Morgan Children. After “her” boys went to war, she would appear on Main Street whenever she thought any Southern troops were coming through town. She often waited for hours to give a drink of lemonade to one of “her” boys. Four of the six boys she nursed lived to carry her remains to the family lot in The Lexington Cemetery where a little stone has this simple inscription, “Bouvieete James Col. Ever Faithful.”

Ingels, Margaret (1892-1971)

Ingels, Margaret (1892-1971)
Section C, Lot 23
A native of Paris, Kentucky, Margaret Ingels was the first American woman to receive a degree in mechanical engineering. She earned her bachelor’s degree in engineering in 1916 and a master’s in 1920 from the University of Kentucky. A specialist in air conditioning, she worked in the field for thirty-two years, retiring from the Carrier Corporation in 1952.

Johnson, John Telemachus (1788-1856)

Johnson, John Telemachus (1788-1856)
Section I, Lot 45
A brother to Vice President Richard Mentor Johnson and a graduate of Transylvania University, John Telemachus Johnson was an aid to General William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812, and served in the Kentucky and U.S. House of Representatives. He became a minister in the Christian Church, an editor of religious publications, and founder of Bacon College at Georgetown.

Kaufman, Moses (1843-1924)

Kaufman, Moses (1843-1924)
Section E-1, Lot 28
Born in Bavaria, Moses Kaufman came to Lexington in 1869, and was founder of the firm which became Kaufman Clothing Company. For seventeen years he was a member of the City Council, served in the Kentucky House of Representatives, and was postmaster from 1914 to 1923. He generously supported many charitable and civic causes and was an organizer of Temple Adath Israel. His obituary in the Lexington Herald-Leader stated that he had “held an exalted place in the esteem of Lexington’s citizenry.

King, Gilbert Hinds (1839-1884)

King, Gilbert Hinds (1839-1884)
Section G, Lot 4
A New Yorker who moved to Lexington in the early 1870s, Gilbert Hinds King has been given much of the credit for persuading the City Council, the legislature, and the people of Lexington that a waterworks system was a necessity. He was an organizer of the Lexington Hydraulic and Manufacturing Company in 1882. His company completed the first reservoir in 1884 and laid water pipes below city streets. Mr. King died shortly before the system began operation.

Kirwan, Albert D. (1904-1971)

Kirwan, Albert D. (1904-1971)
Section 45, Lot 64
Having spent much of his life on the University of Kentucky campus, Albert D. Kirwan’s activities ranged from student-athlete in the 1920s to president from 1968 to 1969. Kirwan was football coach, history professor, dean of men, dean of students, and dean of the graduate school. He held the position of interim president with such distinction that the board of trustees designated him the seventh president of the university.

Markey, Lucille Parker Wright (1896-1982)

Markey, Lucille Parker Wright (1896-1982)
Section 45, Lot 754
After inheriting Calumet Farm from her first husband, Warren Wright, Lucille Parker Wright Markey continued its operation as a leading thoroughbred establishment. In 1952, she married Rear Admiral Gene Markey, a veteran of both world wars, author and Hollywood producer. Mrs. Markey donated $4.6 million to the Ephraim McDowell Cancer Research Foundation at the University of Kentucky for a research and treatment center that has been named in her honor.

Masterson, James (1752-1838)

Masterson, James (1752-1838)
Section K, Lot 6
Lexington was named for the first site of the battle of the Revolutionary War by settlers who came here in 1775. These first settlers left, but others followed. One of the settlers was James Masterson, for whom Masterson’s Station was named. In the spring of 1779, he helped build the first blockhouse on the corner of what is today Main and Mill Streets.

Masterson loved the woods and prided himself on his strength and skill. As Lexington grew and became a sophisticated city, Masterson kept the old stories of Indian dangers and buffalo and deer kills alive with his tales of the early days of the settlement. One of his favorite stories was how he brought the early settlers their salt. Masterson bragged that he had walked to the Falls of the Ohio River, in what is today Louisville, secured the salt, and returned “in a day or so,” and, in fact, he did just that.

McChord, James (1785-1820)

McChord, James (1785-1820)
Section D, Lot 116
Moving to Lexington from Baltimore with his parents at the age of five, James McChord was educated at Transylvania, studied law with Henry Clay, and attended theological seminary in New York. Returning to Lexington, he preached, taught astronomy at Transylvania, and became a member of its board of trustees. In 1815, a group of influential citizens provided for him a new house of worship on Market Street, known at the time as the McChord Church, and now the Second Presbyterian Church.

McCullough, Samuel D. (1803-1873)

McCullough, Samuel D. (1803-1873)
Section F, Lot 28
A relative of Nathan Burrows, the inventor of a machine that cleaned hemp, Samuel D. McCullough operated a mustard factory in Lexington. He shipped his mustard all over the world, claiming Queen Victoria was one of his customers.

McKee, Lt. Hugh (1844-1871)

McKee, Lt. Hugh (1844-1871)
Section P, Lot 71
Lt. McKee is immortalized by a majestic monument composed of a white marble column on a massive granite base, topped with an urn draped with the American flag. With reliefs of ships and eagles, the monument traces the career of the young officer. Lt. McKee was killed in 1871 after being the first man to reach a fort in Korea where the U.S., England, France, and Germany were fighting China for trade agreements. The fort was captured and named Fort McKee in his honor. On May 22, 1872, the Treaty of Peace, Amity, Commerce and Navigation was signed establishing diplomatic and trade relations between the United States and Korea.

McLain, Raymond F. (1905-1981)

McLain, Raymond F. (1905-1981)
Section D, Lot 3
As president of Transylvania University from 1939 to 1951, Raymond F. McLain strengthened the institution both academically and financially and increased ties between the campus and the town. He was the first president of the Henry Clay Memorial Foundation and was active in community affairs. After leaving Lexington, he served successfully as general director of the Committee on Higher Education of the National Council of Churches, president of American University in Cairo, Egypt, and a vice-president and dean of the University of Alabama.

McMurtry, John (1813-1890)

McMurtry, John (1813-1890)
Section I, Lot 63
As one of Lexington’s most prolific architects and builders, John McMurtry was trained locally as an apprentice. Rather than any one style, McMurtry’s work provided a cross-section of 19th century architecture. Floral Hall near the Red Mile, the courthouse in Winchester, Kentucky, and the chapel in the old Episcopal Cemetery on East Third Street are examples on his various designs. Never without his black stovepipe hat and umbrella, he built and supervised construction of hundreds of homes in Fayette County. He did not design, but built Christ Church Episcopal and the Loudoun House.

McVey, Frances Jewell (1889-1945)

McVey, Frances Jewell (1889-1945)
Section W, Lot 2
Before her marriage to Dr. Frank McVey in 1923, Frances Jewell McVey was dean of women at the University of Kentucky, and she was a gracious first lady at Maxwell Place until her husband’s retirement from the presidency. An active participant in campus affairs, she was a trustee of Vassar College, a member of the Lexington Board of Education, the National YWCA board, the Frontier Nursing Service, and a charter member of the Lexington Junior League and the Business and Professional Women’s Club.

McVey, Frank LeRond (1869-1953)

McVey, Frank LeRond (1869-1953)
Section 16, Lot 15
After serving eight years as head of the University of North Dakota, Frank McVey became president of the University of Kentucky in 1917 and served the university until his retirement in 1940. Distinguished as an administrator and scholar, he was elected president of numerous state, regional, and national education associations and was active in local affairs. He was the author of ten books.

Morgan, General John Hunt (1825-1864)

Morgan, General John Hunt (1825-1864)
Section C, Lot 17
When General John Hunt Morgan, known as the “Thunderbolt of the Confederacy,” enlisted in the Southern Army his property was confiscated under the so-called “catch-the-rebel attachment law,” so he lived at Hopemont with his mother, John Wesley Hunt’s daughter. He and his Raiders caused havoc with their unorthodox methods of fighting, causing an estimated $10 million in property damage to the Union. Morgan escaped from a Federal prison in Ohio by tunneling out, only to be shot and killed during another daring raid in Tennessee.

Morrison, Colonel James (1755-1823)

Morrison, Colonel James (1755-1823)
Section D, Lot 116
After serving six years in the Revolutionary War, Colonel James Morrison came to Kentucky to establish himself as a merchant and a landholder. Upon his arrival, he quickly became involved in civic affairs. He was land commissioner, state representative, and supervisor to the state representative, and supervisor of the revenue under President John Adams. Later he acquired immense wealth and became one of Lexington’s leading philanthropists. Colonel Morrison bequeathed $40,000 to build the massive Greek-revival building at Transylvania University, which today is known as “Old Morrison.”

Neville, Linda (1873-1961)

Neville, Linda (1873-1961)
Section H-1, Lot 1 and 2
Individually and through the Mountain Fund for Blindness, which she founded, Linda Neville aided thousands of persons and achieved international acclaim. Devoting more than a half century of her life to the prevention and cure of eye diseases among the people of eastern Kentucky, she was awarded the Leslie Dana gold medal of the National Society for the Prevention of Blindness, the University of Kentucky’s Sullivan Medallion, the Lexington Optimist Cup and other honors.

Noe, James Thomas Cotton (1864-1953)

Noe, James Thomas Cotton (1864-1953)
Section 13, Lot
A native of Washington County, James Thomas Cotton Noe was Kentucky’s first poet laureate. He came to the University of Kentucky in 1906 as an instructor in the old normal school and advanced to head of the College of Education. Retiring in 1934, he moved to California. Noe was the author of seven volumes of verse and many contributions to periodicals. He was designated poet laureate of Kentucky by the legislature in 1926. His Tip Sams is still in print after sixty-three years.

Patterson, James K. (1833-1922)

Patterson, James K. (1833-1922)
Section 42
A native of Scotland, Patterson moved to Indiana with his family when he was nine years old. A graduate of Hanover College, he was principal of Transylvania High School during the Civil War years and then taught at Kentucky (Transylvania) University until 1869, when he was named president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1878, it became an independent state institution that evolved into the University of Kentucky, and he remained as president until his resignation in 1910.

Piatt, Thomas (1877-1965)

Piatt, Thomas (1877-1965)
Section 26, Lot 38 and 39
The first president of the Thoroughbred Club of America, Thomas Piatt was a noted breeder of thoroughbreds at his Brookdale Farm on Spur Road, which he expanded from 210 acres in 1898 to more than 1,200 acres. One of his greatest horses was Alsab, outstanding two-year-old and three-year-old in 1941 and 1942, winner of the American Derby, and victor over Requested and Whirlaway in match races. He was president of the Breeders Sales Company and a director of Keeneland Association and in 1949 he was recognized by the Thoroughbred Club at its annual testimonial dinner for his kindliness, sportsmanship, and character.

Postlethwait, John (1769-1833)

Postlethwait, John (1769-1833)
Section 13, Lot 9
Having moved to Lexington from Carlisle, Pennsylvania in 1790, John Postlethwait soon married a daughter of Governor Scott. He was a town trustee in 1794, and in 1827 was chairman of the Board of Trustees. In 1797, John and his brother Samuel bought a large brick school building at Main and Limestone streets and converted it into a tavern, said to have been the finest in Kentucky. He operated it off and on for the next thirty-six years until his death in the great cholera epidemic. The hotel gained the name Phoenix when it was rebuilt after a fire in 1820.

Ranck, George (1841-1901)

Ranck, George (1841-1901)
Section G, Lot 1
In 1872, George Ranck published the History of Lexington, Kentucky, which is still the most romantic history of the area. He perpetuated the claims of the eccentric Transylvania scientist Rafinesque that Lexington was built on the site of pre-Columbian ruins of a walled city. Historians refuted this idea but still refer to his book for information about early life in Lexington.

Rupp, Coach Adolph (1901-1977)

Rupp, Coach Adolph (1901-1977)
Section 45, Lot 677
As coach of the University of Kentucky basketball team for forty-two years, Coach Adolph Rupp led the Wildcats to four NCAA titles. Additionally, he coached the 1948 U.S. Olympic champions and was elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. He was a raconteur and public speaker of rare ability, a shrewd businessman and a staunch supporter of the Shrine Hospital for Cripple Children.

Sayre, David Austin (1793- 1870)

Sayre, David Austin (1793- 1870)
Section O, Lot 136
David Austin Sayre is one of Lexington’s best examples of a poor boy who found fame and fortune. Walking barefoot from Maysville, Sayre arrived in Lexington in 1811 with no money. After working as a silversmith for 12 years, he joined a broker’s office. Eventually Sayre became a banker and earned his fortune. He is remembered for his philanthropy, including the donation in 1854 of the building and grounds for Sayre Female Institution, which is a preparatory school today.

Scott, Matthew T. (1786-1862)

Scott, Matthew T. (1786-1862)
Section H, Lot 4
A native of Pennsylvania, Matthew T. Scott originally moved to Frankfort, Kentucky as a boy. He studied law but in 1808 became a clerk in the Bank of Kentucky. Two years later, he moved to Lexington, where he spent the remainder of his life in the banking profession. From 1835 until his death he was an officer of the Northern Bank of Kentucky, serving the last six years as president. He was one of the four men who raised the money to establish The Lexington Cemetery, and was its first treasurer.

Solomon, William King (1775-1854)

Solomon, William King (1775-1854)
Section A, Lot
In the summer of 1833, a cholera epidemic killed 500 Lexingtonians in two months, and half the population fled the city in fear. William “King” Solomon remained to dig the graves, an act which earned him the lasting respect of the town.

Migrating to Lexington from Virginia, “King” Solomon was the town drunk who now and then did odd jobs such as digging ditches. Finally his public drunkenness earned him a vagrancy charge. He was sentenced to be auctioned as an indentured servant to the highest bidder. Aunt Charlotte, a free Negro vendor of homemade cakes and pies, purchased him for 18 cents. When the plague broke out, Aunt Charlotte pled with Solomon to leave the city. Solomon was not afraid of contracting the plague, and he remained. For two months, he labored every day burying the dead and sleeping in the pioneer graveyard at night.

On the first day of the court session in the fall of 1833, Solomon was lounging in the back of the courtroom when the judge spotted him. Without a word, the judge stepped from the bench and walked back to the vagrant. The judge shook his hand, and everyone in the room stood, walked to the gravedigger and did the same. “King” Solomon had become a hero.

Stoll, John George (1878-1959)

Stoll, John George (1878-1959)
Section S, Lot
Newspaperman John George Stoll, editor and publisher of the Lexington Leader beginning in 1914 purchased the Lexington Herald in 1937 and left it editorially free. The newspaper was the Democratic opponent of Stoll’s Republican paper. As a member of Kentucky’s House of Representative, Stoll was a strong Republican and a generous contributor to his party, but he was a businessman first. Knowing that the Bluegrass was predominately Democratic, he maintained the freedom of the Herald to promote the Democratic point of view. In 1953, he created the Lexington Herald-Leader Co., of which he was president. Stoll was president of the Lexington Water Company from 1907 to 1926 and of the Phoenix Hotel Company and First National Bank. He was later vice president of the First and City National Bank and a director of the Security Trust Company.

Sweeney, Mary E. (1879-1968)

Sweeney, Mary E. (1879-1968)
Section P, Lot 129
A native of Lexington, Mary E. Sweeney became known internationally as an authority on home economics and child care. In World War I, she was chairman of home economics in the U.S. Food Administration, headed by Herbert Hoover, and she was in demand as a lecturer and consultant in Europe, India, and China as well as America. She had degrees from Transylvania, the University of Kentucky, and Columbia University, and for twenty years was affiliated with a school for child development and family life in Detroit.

Swope, King (1893-1961)

Swope, King (1893-1961)
Section 45, Lot 21
A graduate of Centre College and the University of Kentucky law school, as well as a captain in World War I, King Swope was elected to Congress in 1919, serving one term. From 1931 to 1940 he presided over Fayette Circuit Court. A leader in Republican politics, he was twice a nominee for governor. His wife, Mary Richards Swope, also active in Republican affairs, was vice-chairman of the board of the Public Health Center and an officer in numerous patriotic and genealogical societies.

Todd, Levi (1756-1807)

Todd, Levi (1756-1807)
Section F, Lot 26
When the Lexington settlers signed a “citizens compact” on January 25, 1807, Levi Todd became a landholder. This specified that the town was to be defined “in lots” of one-half acres each for farming and “out lots” of five acres each for farming. Every man and widow over 21 years of age who had resided in Lexington for six months or who had raised a crop of corn by the following year was entitled to one “in lot” and one “out lot.”

Levi Todd helped defend Harrodsburg against the Indians, survived the Battle of Blue Licks, and became a major general in the Kentucky Militia.

In 1781, the citizens of Fayette County elected the first Board of Trustees of five men. One was Levi Todd. He was elected the first Clerk of Fayette County, an office he held for 25 years. In 1784, Kentuckians wanted to establish themselves as a state independent of Virginia. They met repeatedly in Danville framing and reframing Kentucky’s constitution. Levi Todd and John Breckinridge were delegates to the Constitutional Convention in Danville, Kentucky.

Todd, Robert S. (1790-1849)

Todd, Robert S. (1790-1849)
Section F, Lot 26
A Kentucky senator from Fayette County, Robert S. Todd was the father of Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of Abraham Lincoln.

Townsend, William H. (1890-1964)

Townsend, William H. (1890-1964)
Section 45, Lot 512
A prominent corporate and trial lawyer, William H. Townsend was a nationally recognized authority and writer on Abraham Lincoln and collector of Lincolniana. A reconteur of rare talent, his recorded speech on Cassius M. Clay is regarded as a classic. He was a founder of the Kentucky Civil War Round Table in 1953 and its president until his death, chairman of the Kentucky Lincoln Sesquicentennial Commission and member of the national commission, a trustee of Lincoln Memorial University, and a long-time director of the Lexington Public Library.

Underwood, Thomas R. (1898-1956)

Underwood, Thomas R. (1898-1956)
Sección 32, Lote 44
Después de haber pasado toda su carrera periodística en el Lexington Herald, Thomas R. Underwood comenzó como reportero en 1917 y se desempeñó como editor desde 1935 hasta su muerte. Activo en la política demócrata, se convirtió en presidente del Comité Central del Estado del partido, representante de los Estados Unidos de 1949 a 1951 y senador de 1951 a 1952. Fue secretario de la Comisión de Carreras de Kentucky durante catorce años, fue fundador y secretario de la Asociación Nacional de Comisionados Estatales de Carreras y fue líder en muchas organizaciones cívicas.

Varney, James (Jim) Albert Jr. (1949-2000)

Varney, James (Jim) Albert Jr. (1949-2000)
Sección C-1
James Albert Varney, Jr. (Jim Varney), actor y comediante estadounidense, nació en Lexington, Kentucky, hijo de Nancy Louise (Howard) y James Albert Varney, Sr.Se interesó en el teatro cuando era adolescente, ganando títulos estatales en concursos de teatro mientras estudiaba en Lafayette High School en Lexington, Kentucky. Jim Varney es mejor conocido por su papel ampliamente cómico como Ernest P. Worrell, apareciendo en numerosas campañas publicitarias comerciales de televisión y películas y por el que ganó un premio Daytime Emmy. Interpretó a Jed Clampett en una adaptación cinematográfica de The Beverly Hillbillies e interpretó la voz de Slinky Dog en Toy Story y Toy Story 2. Murió de cáncer de pulmón a la edad de 50 años el 10 de febrero de 2000.

Williams, general Roger D. (1856-1925)

Williams, general Roger D. (1856-1925)
Tramo O, Lote 136
Un buscador en el oeste, Roger D. Williams fue fundador y presidente de Lexington Engine and Boiler Works. Sirvió durante treinta años en la Guardia Nacional de Kentucky y comandó las tropas en Frankfort después del fusilamiento del gobernador Goebel. Sirvió en Francia durante la Primera Guerra Mundial y se retiró en 1919 con el rango de general de brigada. Deportista entusiasta, fue organizador de la Asociación Nacional de Cazadores de Zorros. El general Williams estaba casado con Mary Lyle Sayre, una hija de Ephraim Sayre.

Withers, Templo de William (1825-1889)

Withers, William Temple (1825-1889)
Sección F-1, Lote 9
William Temple Withers, nativo del condado de Harrison, se convirtió en abogado y plantador en Mississippi y Louisiana. Sirvió en la Guerra de México y como coronel en el Ejército Confederado. Se mudó a Lexington en 1871 y pronto estableció Fairlawn Farm en el extremo norte de Broadway, que se convirtió en un establecimiento líder de caballos de pura sangre y arneses.


Ver el vídeo: Natalia del Mar - Capítulo 148 (Enero 2022).