Podcasts de historia

Ruinas en el sitio arqueológico de Metsamor en Armenia

Ruinas en el sitio arqueológico de Metsamor en Armenia


Argishtikhinili (ciudad antigua)

Argishtikhinili (Urartian: ar-gi-iš-ti-ḫi-ni-li) fue una ciudad en el antiguo reino de Urartu, establecida durante la expansión de los Urartianos en Transcaucasus bajo su rey Argishti I, y nombrada en su honor. Duró entre los siglos VIII y VI a.C. Las ruinas de las fortificaciones de Argishtikhinili están a 15 kilómetros (9 millas) al suroeste de la actual ciudad de Armavir, Armenia, entre las aldeas de Nor-Armavir y Armavir en el marz armenio de Armavir. La ciudad fue fundada en la margen izquierda del curso medio del río Aras. A lo largo de los siglos, el cauce del río se ha desplazado a varios kilómetros al sur de la ciudad. [1]


Tour complejo a Armenia

Si desea aprender sobre Armenia casi todo en 8 días, entonces el paquete turístico será ideal para usted. Tendrá tiempo para cubrir todo: historia, cultura, arquitectura y monumentos naturales, sitios arqueológicos, cuevas. No te aburrirás, eso es seguro. Armenia te sorprenderá por su versatilidad: un hermoso templo pagano del siglo II a solo 10 minutos de una de las obras maestras arquitectónicas de Armenia, el complejo del monasterio Geghard, ¡tallado en la roca!

Tendrá la oportunidad de disfrutar de la vista del Monte Ararat desde el punto más cercano en Armenia: desde el monasterio de Khor Virap, donde San Gregorio el Iluminador estuvo encarcelado durante 13 años.

Debido a este recorrido, verá cuán diversa es la naturaleza armenia, cómo el paisaje en Dilijan se diferencia del del Valle de Ararat.

Hay una sorpresa especial esperando a los gourmets: un almuerzo en una casa de pueblo en Garni. Verás cómo se hornea el pan tradicional armenio - lavash - y, por supuesto, lo probarás, junto con otros sabrosos platos.

Día 1: Llegada al aeropuerto Zvartnotc. Nuestro guía lo recibirá y lo trasladará a su hotel.

Dia 2: Ereván Desayuno en el hotel. Museo de Historia de Armenia. Visita tsitsernakaberd dedicado a las víctimas del genocidio armenio de 1915. Almuerzo. Matenadaran, el museo de manuscritos, que alberga alrededor de 17.000 manuscritos antiguos. Ocio. Noche en Ereván.

Día 3: Ereván & # 8211 Garni & # 8211 Geghard & # 8211 Ereván Desayuno en el hotel. El recorrido comienza con la fortaleza de Erebuni, que fue fundada en 782 a. C., con el testimonio de piedra silencioso del antiguo Ereván. Tendremos un viaje a Garni, una caminata de media hora por el pintoresco valle del río Azat (Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la UNESCO), con sus impresionantes columnas de basalto. Almuerzo en Garni, en una casa de pueblo. Allí también verá cómo se cocina el pan tradicional armenio lavash. Visita al único templo pagano de Garni (I c.). Visita al monasterio de las cuevas de Geghard (s. V-XII, Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la UNESCO). Noche en Ereván.

Día 4: Ereván & # 8211 Metsamor & # 8211 Echmiatsin & # 8211 Ereván Desayuno en el hotel. Excavaciones arqueológicas de Metsamor, un monumento único de la cultura mundial de la Edad del Bronce. Un viaje a la ciudad santa de Echmiatsin, con su catedral e iglesias, inscritas en la lista de Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la UNESCO. Visitaremos la Catedral de Echmiatsin (s. IV), el templo de San Hripsime (s. VII), St. Gayane (s. VII), ruinas del templo Zvartnots (s. VII, Patrimonio Mundial de la UNESCO). Regreso a Ereván. Galería Nacional. Noche en Ereván.

Dia 5: Ereván & # 8211 Bjni & # 8211 Sevan & # 8211 Dilijan & # 8211 Haghpat.

Desayuno en el hotel. Un viaje a Bjni ubicado en el valle del río Hrazdan, con su puente natural, iglesia y fortaleza del siglo X. Viaje al lago montañoso Sevan, la perla de Armenia, que se encuentra a una altitud de unos 2000 m. Almuerzo Monasterio de Sevan (siglo IX) en la Península de Sevan. Continuaremos el viaje hacia el noreste, la zona de bosques, balneario hidropático de la ciudad de Dilijan. Almuerzo. Continuando la ruta hacia el bosque (1,5 horas de caminata, fácil), en tejo (relicto de pino (período jurásico), un antiguo (que viven 3000 años), rara vez conocido en condiciones naturales y incluido en el Libro Rojo de el árbol). Continúe el viaje hacia el norte, la región de Lori. Pasaremos la noche en Haghpat.

Día 6: Hagpat & # 8211 Sanahin & # 8211 Ereván Desayuno en el hotel. Visita al monasterio de Haghpat (s. X, Patrimonio de la Humanidad de la UNESCO) y al monasterio de Sanahin (s. X, Patrimonio de la Humanidad de la UNESCO). Almuerzo. Visita al monasterio de Kobayr (s. X) con impresionantes frescos del siglo XIII (40 minutos a pie, escarpa). El camino de regreso a Ereván a través del pintoresco desfiladero del río Debed, y bajando por las laderas de las montañas y el paso de Spitak. El monte Aragats, de 4.430 metros de altura, es el punto más alto de Armenia. Verá también la ciudad de Spitak, el epicentro de un terremoto masivo con una magnitud de 7,2 grados, casi completamente destruido en 1988 y reconstruido durante los años siguientes. Pasaremos por dos pueblos de Yezidi (minoría nacional). Noche en Ereván.

Día 7: Ereván & # 8211 Khor Virap & # 8211 Areni & # 8211 Noravank & # 8211 Ereván & # 8221

Desayuno en el hotel. A lo largo de la carretera Ereván & # 8211 Artashat, el majestuoso Monte Ararat estará constantemente a nuestra vista y llegaremos casi a sus pies para visitar el Monasterio de Khor Virap, donde San Gregorio Iluminador estuvo encarcelado durante 13 años. Continuaremos nuestro recorrido hacia el sur, provincia de Vayots Dzor. Degustaremos maravillosos vinos locales en la fábrica de vinos de Areni. Cerca del pueblo Areni, en el pintoresco valle del río Arpa, visitaremos la cueva kárstica Areni-1 con las reliquias de la cultura material de la Edad de Piedra y Bronce. Almuerzo. Luego, a lo largo del desfiladero llegaremos al Monasterio Noravank (siglo IX-XIII, Patrimonio Mundial de la UNESCO), escondido entre los acantilados rojos, uno de los mejores monasterios de Armenia. Regreso a Ereván.

Día 8: Ereván & # 8211 Ashtarak & # 8211 Agarak & # 8211 Aghdzk & # 8211 Tegher & # 8211 Amberd & # 8211 Ereván & # 8220 Desayuno en el hotel. Museo Parajanov (el artista único, pintor, cineasta de fama mundial). El recorrido continúa hacia las laderas sur del Monte Aragats, donde se encuentran las excavaciones arqueológicas del antiguo sitio de Agarak (Edad del Bronce). Tumba de los reyes armenios Arshakuni en la aldea Aghdzk. Monasterio Tegher (siglo XII). Almuerzo. Visita a la Fortaleza de Amberd (siglo X), que se encuentra en las laderas sureste del monte Aragats, a una altitud de 2.300 m. Regreso a Ereván. Cena de despedida. Noche en Ereván.

Día 9: Desayuno en el hotel. Salida hacia el aeropuerto Zvartnotc.


Artaxata

Artaxata o Artaxiasata (Griego Ἀρτάξατα o ᾽Αρταξιάσατα): Capital helenística de Armenia (actual Khor Virap).

Fundación

Artaxata fue fundada en 188 a. C. por Artaxias, el primer rey de Armenia de la dinastía Artaxiad, que actuaba por consejo de su asesor militar Hannibal Barca. nota [Estrabón, Geografía 11.14.6.] Según se informa, Hannibal incluso diseñó la nota de la ciudad [Plutarco, Lúculo 31.3-4.] Y, por lo tanto, la ciudad fue apodada "la Cartago armenia". nota [Plutarco, Lúculo 32.3.] El geógrafo grecorromano Estrabón puede haber recordado el nombre real de la ciudad cuando señala que también se llamaba Artaxiasata, una interpretación cercana de las palabras šiyati, "la alegría de", y arta, "justicia". nota [Estrabón, Geografía 11.14.6.]

"Un hermoso asentamiento"

La nueva ciudad, que reemplazó a Yervandashat como capital de Armenia, estaba situada en la orilla norte del río Araxes, en una llanura fértil, cerca de la confluencia con el río que ahora se llama Metsamor. El sitio tiene una gran vista de la montaña Baris (ahora conocida como Ararat). El filósofo Plutarco lo llama "una ciudad muy grande y hermosa" nota [Plutarco, Lúculo 31.4.] Y Estrabón confirma que Artaxata fue

un hermoso asentamiento y la residencia real del país. Está situado en un codo de tierra a modo de península y sus muros tienen el río como protección a su alrededor, excepto en el istmo, que está delimitado por una trinchera y una empalizada. nota [Estrabón, Geografía 11.14.6.]

Este meandro en el río no ha sido identificado. Los muros, sin embargo, se han encontrado y parecen haber tenido tres metros de espesor y diez kilómetros de largo y se han investigado cinco kilómetros y muestran que la parte alta de la ciudad fue construida sobre varios cerros con pendientes pronunciadas. La colina más al norte, que se eleva a unos setenta metros sobre la llanura, era la acrópolis: una gran fortaleza triangular. Los contrafuertes de ladrillo de la muralla de la fortaleza son más antiguos que los de principios del siglo II a. C. y demuestran que el rey Artaxias, cuando fundó Artaxata, reutilizó un castro más antiguo de Urartian. Las torretas, utilizadas para catapultas, fueron adiciones helenísticas. Los excavadores encontraron una armería y el taller de un herrero, espadas, dagas y no menos de tres mil puntas de flechas y lanzas.

/> Las empinadas laderas de Artaxata

Los arqueólogos han identificado acueductos y canales de drenaje. Había baños en la acrópolis y, cerca del río Araxes, en la ciudad baja. También sabemos que hubo un teatro, el primero en Armenia. Escribiendo en la Antigüedad tardía, cuando Artaxata ya no era la espléndida ciudad que había sido, el escritor armenio Moisés de Chorene registra que hubo numerosos templos paganos, dedicados a Tir y Anahita (Apolo y Artemisa).

Según el mapa de Peutinger, las carreteras conectaban Artaxata con Mesopotamia en el suroeste, Media en el sureste y las ciudades griegas del Mar Negro en el noroeste. Las carreteras facilitaron el comercio (las monedas y los sellos son evidencia arqueológica) y la ciudad se hizo rica. Atrajo a nuevos habitantes, aunque no todos vinieron voluntariamente: el rey Tigranes II (c. 95 - c. 55 a. C.) trasladó a los prisioneros de guerra de doce pueblos a Artaxata. La ciudad debe haber tenido decenas de miles de habitantes.

Su riqueza hizo de Artaxata un objetivo militar natural. En 68 a. C., el comandante romano Lúculo asedió la ciudad, donde Tigranes II (un aliado del enemigo de Roma, Mitrídates VI Eupator del Ponto) se había refugiado, pero los rivales de Lúculo en Roma lograron asegurar su retiro antes de que pudiera lograr algo. nota [Plutarco, Lúculo 31.] Quedó en manos del sucesor de Lúculo, Pompeyo, aceptar la rendición de Tigranes. nota [Appian, Guerras Mitrídatas 104 Dio Casio, Historia romana 36.52.2.]

Más tarde, en el 34 a. C., la ciudad fue el objetivo de una exitosa campaña romana de Mark Antony, quien reemplazó al rey Artavasdes II. nota [Velleius Paterculus, Historia romana 2.82.3 Dio Casio, Historia romana 49.39.1-40.2.] En 1 EC, el príncipe romano Cayo César, nieto del emperador Augusto, visitó el área y capturó una ciudad cercana llamada Artageras, nota [Estrabón, Geografía 11.14.6 Velleius Paterculus, Roman History 2.102.2.] Mientras que en el año 18 EC, el príncipe romano Germanicus visitó Artaxata para intervenir en la sucesión armenia. nota [Tácito, Anales 2.56.]

En el 58, el comandante romano Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo lanzó una campaña muy exitosa contra Armenia, utilizando III Gallica, VI Ferrata y X Fretensis. Él arrasó con Artaxata y les dio a los armenios un nuevo rey pro-romano, Tigranes VI. nota [Tácito, Anales 13.41 Dio Casio, Historia romana 62.19.4.] Cuando se concluyó un tratado de paz, los romanos aceptaron un rey diferente, Tiridates, que fue coronado por el emperador Nerón (66 EC). Hermano del rey parto Vologases I, fue el primer rey de la dinastía Arsácida en Armenia.

Aunque Armenia obtuvo una nueva dinastía, Artaxata siguió siendo su capital. aunque pasó brevemente a llamarse Neronia. nota [Cassius Dio, Historia romana 63.7.2.] Las cosas empezaron a cambiar en 114 EC, cuando el emperador romano Trajano invadió y conquistó Armenia. (Una gran inscripción de la Cuarta Legión Scythica se puede ver en el Museo Estatal de Historia Armenia en Ereván. Nota [EDCS-09701691.>) Aunque el sucesor de Trajano, Adriano, abandonó Armenia en 117, el rey Vologases I (que no debe confundirse con los Vologases mencionado anteriormente) trasladó su residencia a la cercana Kainepolis / Vagharshapat (Echmiadzin). Una generación más tarde, en 162 d.C., el general romano Statius Priscus saqueó Artaxata. <<Historia Augusta, Marco Aurelio 9.1.]

Antigüedad tardía

La ciudad permaneció habitada y siguió siendo, a pesar de ser saqueada por el rey sasánida Shapur II en 369, un centro cultural de cierta importancia. Era el lugar donde el rey Tiridates III hizo torturar a la monja cristiana Hripsime nota [Agathangelos, Historia de San Gregorio y la Conversión de Armenia 2.13-14.] Y donde mantuvo cautivo al predicador cristiano Gregorio el Iluminador, nota [Agathangelos, Historia de San Gregorio y la Conversión de Armenia 2.18.] Hasta que Tiridates se convirtió a la nueva fe en los primeros años del siglo IV. La celda de la prisión de Gregory se convirtió en el núcleo de un santuario, Khor Virap, que aún existe en medio de las ruinas abandonadas de Artaxata.

En el siglo V, el río Metsamor cambió de curso y la ciudad decayó. Aún así, siguió siendo un lugar de comercio entre los imperios romano y sasánida: el Codex Justiniano se refiere a una ley de Honorio y Teodosio II, fechada en 408 o 409, que el comercio solo estaba permitido en Nisibis, Callinicus (Raqqa en Siria) y Artaxata. Nota [Codex Justiniano 4.63.4.1.] En 449, Artaxata se utilizó para una reunión de líderes cristianos armenios para discutir las demandas del rey sasánida Yazdgard II, quien insistió en que los armenios seguirían el liderazgo religioso sasánida. (Dos años después, los persas sasánidas derrotaron a los armenios).

Para entonces, Artaxata había sido eclipsada por Vagharshapat y Dvin Khor Virap sobrevivió como centro de peregrinaje.


Guía de redescubrimiento de Armenia - Armavir Marz

Armavir Marz se encuentra en el valle del río Arax (Yeraskh en tiempos históricos), y tiene una de las tierras más ricas y fértiles de Armenia, formada por las tres regiones soviéticas de Ejmiatsin (la cuenca del río Kasagh inferior), Armavir ( el Metsamor, antes Kara Su o Sevjur - "Blackwater" - cuenca), y Baghramian, la montaña occidental rocosa. La joya de la corona turística es Ejmiatsin, la iglesia madre de Armenia, con su tesoro e iglesias medievales tempranas periféricas, incluida la catedral en ruinas de Zvartnots. El monumento a la batalla de Sardarapat incluye un espléndido museo etnográfico recientemente reformado que merece una visita por separado. La ciudad urartiana / helenística de Armavir / Argishtihinili y la fortaleza de Aragats, y el sitio / museo de la Edad del Hierro de Metsamor, son de considerable importancia arqueológica, aunque algo misteriosos para los no especialistas.

Habitada desde el Neolítico, y de gran importancia en la época urartiana y helenística (Armavir y Yervandashat eran antiguas capitales armenias), bajo la ocupación mongola, turca y persa, estas fértiles tierras fluviales resultaron demasiado tentadoras para los conquistadores, que empujaron a la población armenia hacia el estribaciones. Solo alrededor de Ejmiatsin, donde la iglesia armenia se aferraba a ricas propiedades, el pueblo armenio retuvo una mayoría en el valle de Arax antes de los traslados de población del siglo XX. Por lo tanto, los restos armenios medievales son bastante escasos. El gobierno ruso / soviético tampoco ha sido amable con los monumentos de los posteriores señores persas de Armenia.

Aunque plano, el país está atravesado por arroyos, estanques y canales, con una rica vida de aves. Los vencejos se lanzan a lo largo de la carretera al anochecer y las cigüeñas vuelan con severidad por encima de sus cabezas.

Ejmiatsin y alrededores (Sección 1 Mapa D)

Al salir de Ereván por la carretera del aeropuerto, un giro a la izquierda en el semáforo justo después de la enorme rotonda conduce al pueblo de Argavand. Tome la bifurcación a la derecha en la señal "Customs Warehouse" e inmediatamente mire a la derecha. De pie por sí solo hay una importante torre funeraria de piedra facetada, uno de los pocos monumentos islámicos importantes que permanecen intactos en Armenia. La larga inscripción en friso árabe que data de 1413 comienza con una famosa sura del Corán y conmemora a Pir Hussein, hijo de Sa'ad, un señor tribal algo satisfecho de sí mismo en Armenia durante el breve período posterior a la muerte de Timur Lenk cuando Kara Yusuf, líder de la confederación tribal turcomana Karakoyunlu (oveja negra), era el gobernante supremo de gran parte del imperio persa de Timur. Pir Budaq era el hijo de Kara-Yusuf, quien compartió brevemente el trono con su padre. Los Karakoyunlu recibieron críticas mixtas en los relatos armenios y, en cualquier caso, pronto fueron expulsados ​​por Akkoyunlu, o White Sheep, una confederación rival.

¡En el nombre de Allah, misericordioso y misericordioso! Allah - no hay dios fuera de él, vivo, real, ni la somnolencia ni el sueño pueden apoderarse de Él, Él es dueño de todo en los Cielos y en la Tierra. ¿Quién suplicará si no es con Su permiso? Él sabe lo que les esperaba y lo que vendrá después de ellos, mientras que ellos no perciben nada de Su conocimiento más que los deseos de Él. Su trono abraza los cielos y la tierra, y no se siente agobiado por protegerlos. De hecho, Grande y Alto es Él. Ordenó construir esta tumba bendita (kubba) la más grande, la más noble, abundante en generosidad y magnanimidad, el apoyo de reyes y sultanes, refugio para los débiles y pobres, guardián de los científicos y los que buscan conocimiento, ayuda a los pobres y caminantes, la gloria del estado y la fe, Emir Pir-Hussein, hijo del difunto Emir absuelto elevado a Su patrocinio [Alá], el más misericordioso Emir Sa'ad, - que la tierra sea ligera sobre él - en los días del reinado del Gran Sultán, el Khakan más generoso, el Sultán de los Sultanes en Oriente y Occidente, la ayuda del estado y la fe, Pir Budaq Khan y Yusuf Noyon, - que Allah perpetúe su poder, en el decimoquinto de Radzhab del año 816 [11 de octubre de 1413].

De vuelta en la carretera del aeropuerto, el siguiente es el pueblo de Parakar (Población 4816, con mina de yeso, S. Mariam Astvatsatsin, iglesia S. Harutyun de 1855). A continuación está Musaler (2340 p, llamado así por la resistencia heroica en Musa Dagh (Monte Moisés) en Turquía), con una celebración anual de su resultado final por los franceses con 40 ollas masivas de Harissa que son gratuitos para todos, y otras festividades en torno al monumento Musa Ler a finales de septiembre. Los próximos pueblos son Ptghunk (1355 p) y Zvartnots = 70 = (40 09.62n x 044 20.25e) ("Lugar de los Ángeles"). Marcada en la carretera (S) por una entrada ornamental y un águila mirando hacia atrás, la enorme iglesia centralmente planificada de S. Grigor Lusavorich * hubiera sido una maravilla en cualquier caso, aunque los estudiosos no están de acuerdo sobre cómo restaurar los cimientos en ruinas. La restauración del pastel de bodas en la mayoría de los libros turísticos, de tres pisos de altura con galería, no tiene precedentes y probablemente sea incorrecta. La iglesia fue construida por Katholikos Nerses III (641-662) para albergar las reliquias de San Gregorio el Iluminador, presumiblemente donde convirtió al rey Trdat / Tiridates en 301 o (más probablemente) 314 d.C. Más allá de la iglesia, que muestra signos de la influencia del norte de Siria y que tiene algunas decoraciones esculpidas interesantes, hay restos del palacio de Nerses y un lagar, con un pequeño museo (cerrado). Detrás del lagar hay un tell calcolítico. Frente al museo hay un siglo VII. inscripción cuneiforme del rey urartiano Rusa II que conmemora la construcción de un canal desde el río Hrazdan ("Ildaruni").

los Monasterio de Surp Ejmiatsin ** ("El Descenso del Unigénito" en etimología tradicional) = 85 + = (40 09.70n x 044 17.53e) está rodeado por la ciudad del mismo nombre, ahora oficialmente rebautizada Vagharshapat (51280 p) después de su fundador del siglo II d.C., el rey Vagharshak (117-140). La ciudad también puede ser idéntica a Kainépolis ("Ciudad Nueva") fundada como reemplazo de las ruinas de Artashat por el rey Sohaemus / Tigran, quien fue instalado dos veces en el trono por ejércitos romanos, primero por Antoninus Pius (que duró desde 144-161 AC ) y luego por Marco Aurelio (164-186). Dos inscripciones romanas, ahora en el Museo Histórico del Estado, documentan la presencia de una guarnición romana en Ejmiatsin, el extremo remoto de la extensión militar de Roma al Cáucaso. Uno de ellos fue levantado por un tribuno de la XV Legión en memoria de su esposa e hija. Fue dejada en ruinas por las tropas persas en 364-369. El nombre común de la ciudad en los primeros tiempos modernos era Üch-Kilise o "Tres iglesias", llamado así por las características más prominentes del paisaje local.

La entrada al monasterio se realiza girando a la izquierda desde la rotonda principal dentro de la ciudad. El Templo Madre (Mayr Tachar) se inició en el siglo IV, construido sobre las ruinas de un sitio de culto pagano, pero ha sido profundamente restaurado a lo largo de los siglos, más a fondo en el siglo XVII. La composición basilical del templo original se cambió a una en forma de cruz con la cúpula central en 483. A principios del siglo VII, la cúpula de madera del edificio, probablemente octoédrica y con forma del techo de la casa campesina armenia, fue reemplazada por una piedra. uno. Esta composición de la catedral ha llegado hasta nuestros días casi sin cambios. En el siglo XVII (1653-1658) se construyó una nueva cúpula y un campanario de tres niveles, este último frente a la entrada occidental de la catedral. Los murales interiores, creados por el pintor armenio Nagash Ovnatan en 1720, fueron restaurados y elaborados por su nieto, Ovnatan Ovnatanian. en 1782-1786. En 1955-1956, los murales interiores de la catedral y del campanario fueron renovados por un grupo de artistas soviéticos bajo la dirección de L. Durnovo. El monasterio ha sido sede de los Katholikos en los siglos IV y V y nuevamente desde 1441. Como tal, y como sede de las reliquias milagrosas de la iglesia armenia: la Lanza, la mano de San Gregorio el Iluminador, la mano del apóstol Tadeo, un dedo de San Judas, una gota de sangre de San Hripsime, etc. - llegó a controlar vastas propiedades y recibió ricos regalos de todo el mundo armenio. los Tesorería, que alberga parte de esta generosidad, y baja al templo de fuego, se accede a través de la iglesia, a la derecha del altar. Los diáconos de habla inglesa están disponibles como guías, pero se esperan contribuciones. Frente a la entrada de la iglesia y a través del arco se encuentra el Palacio de los Katholikos, con un tesoro más pequeño que no está abierto al público. Al pie del arco hay un guardia al que debes pedir para ver el gran Museo Alex Manougian. Este museo alberga una impresionante colección de arte principalmente no secular, así como una muestra muy colorida de los regalos que Katholicos Vazgen recibió de todo el mundo durante su liderazgo. Entre las diversas exhibiciones del museo se encuentran magníficos atuendos de iglesia bordados con oro y perlas, cortinas estampadas, colchas bordadas. cruces, báculo, todo tipo de vasijas rituales de plata, oro, marfil, adornados con filigrana y joyas. La mayoría de estos artículos se remontan a los siglos XVII-XIX. Algunas de las exhibiciones del monasterio de Echmiadzin se exhiben en el jardín del monasterio, en particular los khachkars de toda Armenia y la antigua Jugha. Hay una escuela teológica reconstruida (Chemaran) en los suelos.

Ejmiatsin ha recibido muchos visitantes eminentes a lo largo de los siglos. Los Reverendos Smith y Dwight, después de una fría bienvenida basada en el malentendido de que estaban en el mismo recado funesto que sus colegas misioneros en Shushi, pasaron cuatro días del 19 al 23 de noviembre de 1830, hasta donde supieron que los primeros estadounidenses que jamás vivieron. ir ahí. Describieron el monasterio amurallado y la ciudad en sí: "una colección abarrotada de cabañas de barro, quizás 500 en número". Nunca conocieron al anciano Katholikos Eprem, pero mantuvieron una agradable conversación con su secretario Hovhannes, el único monje del lugar que sabía ruso. Señalaron con sarcasmo la riqueza de la decoración: "El protestante Chardin y el Papa Tournefort se unen para testificar que gran parte de esta riqueza proviene del Papa en forma de sobornos para la conversión de los Katholikos y ahora sigue siendo un monumento a la credulidad de el uno, y el engaño del otro ". Al visitar los aposentos de un obispo, Smith escribió: "Todo tenía un aire de tranquilidad, si no de lujo, que poco se correspondía con las ideas que generalmente se tienen en la celda de un monje, y confirma lo que aprendimos de otras maneras, que los principales presos de este el establishment practica pocas de las abnegaciones por las que se reputa su profesión ".

La erudita franco-rusa Marie-Felicite Berge se estremeció durante la mayor parte de los 40 días en Ejmiatsin en enero de 1848, prisionera del frío extremo de ese invierno. Proporcionó una descripción detallada de la colección de manuscritos, extraída del primer catálogo preparado por insistencia del entonces arzobispo Nerses de Ashtarak. Berge informó que fuera de la catedral, la S del campanario había una inscripción en griego, persa e inglés que marcaba el cenotafio del teniente coronel Sir John MacDonald, quien falleció en Tabriz en 1830 como enviado de la compañía británica de las Indias Orientales al Shah. de Persia. En 1830, según Shopen, Ejmiatsin albergaba a los Katholikos, 12 arzobispos y obispos, 26 archimandritas y monjes, 14 archidiáconos, 9 protodiáconos y ocho acólitos, la mitad de la población monástica del antiguo Kanato de Ereván. El coronel británico Herbert Chermside visitó Ejmiatsin en 1888 y escribió: "Escuché grandes quejas sobre el despilfarro de los obispos y monjes célibes de Etchmiadzin. En Turquía, los armenios tienen una protección contra esto en su hábito de rodear y sorprender las casas donde están los eclesiásticos. se supone que se están aprovechando de sus privilegios para corromper a las mujeres, pero la policía de Rusia no permite este tipo de ley de linchamiento ".

Hay otras tres iglesias primitivas importantes en la ciudad: la primera es Iglesia Hripsime * de 618 = 75 = (40 10.05nx 044 18.62e), construido a la derecha de la carretera principal en el sitio tradicional de la tumba de este mártir; tradicionalmente, ella y sus seguidores vírgenes llegaron escapando de la persecución en Roma, sus reliquias supuestamente fueron robadas en del siglo XVII por dos monjes latinos, pero luego recuperado, a excepción de los fragmentos que en 1830 habían llegado a las iglesias de Venecia, Goa en la India, Nakhichevan y Galata en Constantinopla.

Iglesia de Gayane * = 35 = (40 09.04n x 044 17.55e) de 630 también se construyó en el lugar del martirio de Gayane. Iglesia Shoghakat = 20 = de 1694 fue construido por el príncipe Aghamal Shorotetsi en el sitio de una capilla temprana a uno de los compañeros de S. Hripsime. Cerca de Shoghakat hay una pequeña capilla de un solo pasillo en ruinas del siglo 5-6. Porque el Diócesis de Armavir, fundada en 1996 sobre la creación del marz, no tiene iglesia ni residencia obispo en la capital marz de la ciudad de Armavir, el obispo opera actualmente en la iglesia S. Astvatsatsin de Ejmiatsin (1767). En 1998 solo había ocho iglesias activas y 13 sacerdotes para servir a la población oficial de Armavir Marz de 315.000.

Vagharshapat también reclama un hotel, los museos de artistas locales Manuk Abeghian y Hovhannes Hovhannisian, y la galería de Khoren Harutian. Just S de Ejmiatsin es el relato de Teghut, un asentamiento del Calcolítico-Edad del Bronce Antiguo excavado y publicado por el arqueólogo Rafik Torosian.

A unos cuatro km al S de Ejmiatsin, a unos 150 m al O de la carretera principal S a Márgara, justo antes de un terraplén del ferrocarril, hay una colina baja detrás de una pequeña aldea, rodeada por una valla de hierro (huecos en el lado NE). Este es el sitio del Calcolítico (finales del siglo IV a. C.) hasta el helenístico (siglo IV-I a. C.) de Mokhrablur ("Ash Hill"). Hay 8 metros de depósitos que representan 12 capas distintas de habitación. Muy poco es visible, más allá de un enorme bloque de piedra y una amplia gama de fragmentos de cerámica. La Enciclopedia armenia soviética hace la atrevida afirmación de que el templo central de Mokhrablur, que según dicen data del siglo X. pero en realidad parece ser de la primera mitad del tercer milenio antes de Cristo, fue el primer ejemplo conocido de arquitectura monumental de piedra en la Unión Soviética.

Al norte de Zvartnots se encuentran: Norakert (2503 p) y Baghramyan (2363 p), fundada en 1947, nombrada en honor al Héroe de la Unión Soviética y luego al Mariscal Hovhannes (Ivan) Baghramyan (nacido en el pueblo Chardakhlu de Elisavetpol, ahora región de Ganca [Gyanja] en Azerbaiyán en 1897). El pueblo tiene una iglesia y un santuario de S. Sargis construido en 1997. Más E son Aygek (1103 p), fundada en 1946 para albergar a inmigrantes de Irán, y Merdzavan (2722 p), fundada en 1947 y sede de varios institutos agrícolas.

Al sur de Zvartnots están Voskehat (2197 p), y Arevashat (1413 p) con una iglesia y siglo XIX. Santuario de Tukh Manuk ("Bebé oscuro").

La esquina noreste - Aghavnatun y Targmanchats (Sección 2 Mapa D)

A la entrada de Ejmiatsin, la carretera principal gira a la derecha para evitar la ciudad. El primer camino pavimentado a la derecha conduce a un alto pilar de piedra, un monumento erigido en 1833 en presencia del zar Nicolás I que lo visitaba para conmemorar a los 1131 soldados rusos que cayeron cerca en la llamada batalla de Oshakan el 17 de agosto de 1827. "defendiendo a Holy Ejmiatsin" contra el ejército persa. En abril de 1827, el ejército ruso, acompañado por el enérgico arzobispo Nerses de Ashtarak (el futuro Katholikos Nerses V), había ocupado la Santa Sede, que había estado desde 1822 en estado moribundo, habiéndose refugiado en Karabaj el poco mundano Katholikos Eprem. Monasterio de Haghpat (ya en territorio ruso) para evitar los voraces cobradores de deudas persas. Un gran ejército persa al mando de Abbas Mirza, hijo del Sha de Persia, avanzaba contra el monasterio amurallado pero escasamente guarnecido, cuando el general Krasovskii, dividiendo sus fuerzas (que incluían a los auxiliares armenios), corrió a la defensa, abriéndose paso a través del Persas con una enorme pérdida, mientras Nerses blandía la Lanza Sagrada desde las almenas. Aunque Krasovskii fue criticado por perder la mayor parte de su fuerza, su acción bien puede haber salvado la vida de los Nerses prorrusos, que ya en 1810 habían escapado por poco de ser volado por uno de los cañones de Hassan Khan en represalia por sus quejas de la Iglesia. malos tratos a manos de los persas. La batalla también dio lugar a un héroe popular armenio. Hakob Harutyunian, artillero del ejército persa, se ganó un nombre en los libros de historia armenia por apuntar con su cañón a su propio ejército. Los persas irritados lo torturaron horriblemente, perdiendo los ojos, la nariz, los labios, etc., pero sobrevivió para cobrar una pensión imperial rusa. (Tenga en cuenta, sin embargo, que la propia recomendación de Nerses para la pensión dice que Harutyunian había pasado a los rusos con información sobre los planes de Abbas Mirza, una acción menos colorida que el fratricidio, pero quizás también menos propensa a hacer que un oficial ruso se sienta aprensivo).

La carretera de derivación luego gira W para unirse a la carretera N de Ejmiatsin a Mrgastan (944 p, iglesia de S. Hovhannes construida en 1912) y más allá. De regreso a Ejmiatsin, a solo 50 m al E de la carretera a Oshakan, se encuentra Shresh Blur, un asentamiento del Calcolítico de la Edad del Bronce Temprano. El siguiente pueblo es Shahumian (939 p, llamado así por el comisario mártir de Bakú) y el cercano Fábrica avícola de Shahumiani (929 pág.). N es Dasht ("Field", 556 v, fundado en 1926). En las cercanías (¿N ya la izquierda de la carretera?) Hay un fuerte ciclópeo del primer milenio antes de Cristo llamado "Ardar Davit" (David el Justo) por los lugareños.

Inclinando a la izquierda de Dasht, una vez que llega Aigeshat (1368 p, hasta 1935 Hajighara, mezcla de armenio / kurdo), que tiene (gire a la derecha en el borde SE de la ciudad) las ruinas Targmanchats ("Traductores") Vank del siglo VII, y quizás también una iglesia de S. Gevorg del siglo XVIII. y, en una colina cercana, una torre temprana. Al oeste de Aigeshat es Amberd (1276 p), con una iglesia de Tovmas Arakeal (el Apóstol Tomás) del siglo XII. e iglesia de Poghos-Petros del siglo XIX.

Un desvío adicional de la circunvalación principal de Ejmiatsin conduce al NO a Tsaghkunk (1097 p, till 1946 Abdurahman), with S. Astvatsatsin church of 19th c, restaurant NW is Mkhltapa Neolithic tell. Luego viene Hovtamej (1025 p, church 19th c.), and Tsiatsan ("Rainbow") (1058 p, till 1978 Grampa), with ruined S. Astvatsatsin church. Further N is Doghs (1195 p), site of a glorious victory here in 894 of Smbat I Bagratuni over the invading Emir Apshin of Atrapatakan. Doghs has a S. Stepanos church built in the 19th c.

Further W, opposite the turnoff for Taronik/Metsamor, a signposted road leads NE to Arshaluys ("Dawn",3836 p, till 1935 Kyorpalu), with S. Astvatsatsin church built 1903-09 fort, restaurant S. Karapet shrine/pilgrimage site of 14-18th c. 2 km S. Next village is Haytagh (2441 p, church of 19th c.). A small road bears left to Ferik (267 p), named in honor of the revolutionary and poet Ferik Polatbekov, while the main road continues N to Samaghar (2360 p, formerly Geghakert, S. Harutyun church of 13th c.), and Tsaghkalanj (1225 p, till 1978 Aghjaghala), with a S. Gevorg church of the 1870s. Nearby are Bronze Age grave mounds and, to the NE, Amenaprkich medieval settlement with graveyard. The Neolithic-Chalcolithic tell site of Aghjaghala is on the E side of the village.

Continuing north, one reaches the village of Aragats (2973 p, Armenians/Kurds, till 1946 Khznauz), with a S. Stepanos church of 1870. To reach the Urartian fortress/settlement just SW of the village, turn left from the large building festooned with storks' nests on the W side of the main road, then right following the asphalt road, then take the second dirt road left to where it becomes impassible. The rough walls of the site are visible, embedded in a rocky 10 m high mound. Total area of this important early 7th c defense site is about 10-15 acres.

Entering from the S. the village of Aghavnatun (2934 p), there are sparse remains of an Iron Age cyclopean fort. On the left of the road entering the village from the S is a ruined medieval princely tomb of 13th c., chapel and graveyard surrounding. There are remains of four churches: S. Astvatsatsin church of 1876, S. Gevorg of 10th c Tsiranavor of 14th c Karmravor S. Karapet churches and reportedly a restaurant. Turning left (N) on a paved road at the N end of town, a dusty road leads through a major tuff quarry (prehistoric graveyard below) to a hilltop with a prominent circular tower*. Build of massive stones, with a tiny entrance, this tower commands a sweeping view and may have served as a watchtower or, perhaps, as a Zoroastrian funeral site (cf Parsee "towers of silence" in India). In any case, no finds are associated with the tower, which is undated. Next village N, Lernamerdz (395 p, once Ayarlu) once also had a restaurant.

Metsamor and Environs (Section 3 Map D)

Passing Ejmiatsin on the E bypass, 2 km past the overpass is on the left a conspicuous monument to 7 Yugoslav (now Serbian) aviators killed in December 1988 when their plane, carrying relief supplies to the December 7 Gyumri-Spitak earthquake victims, crashed in a field. Behind the monument, a small mound and water-worn stones mark a Bronze Age (but marked on the sign as 5-4th millennium BC) occupation site, partly covered now by a little shed that has become a local shrine.

The skyline is dominated by the four cooling towers of the Metsamor Armenian Nuclear Power Plant. The nuclear plant, not open to the public, still generates about 40% of Armenia's electricity. Though neither of the two reactor units suffered damage in the December 1988 earthquake, they were shut down in response to domestic populist pressure as inherently unsafe. Unit Two was reopened in 1996, with loans from Russia and subsequent safety assistance from the U.S. Department of Energy and the International Atomic Energy Agency. As a further safety measure, the plant management brought Katholikos Garegin I to bless a new chapel in the plant's main administrative building in 1997. The Government of Armenia pledged under international pressure to shut the reactors down permanently by the end of 2004, but is likely to renege unless financing is found to build safer new reactors and keep its nuclear power sector employed.

About 6.1 km after the Ejmiatsin overpass, about two km before the Metsamor reactor, shortly after a gas station, an unsignposted road leads left in 3 km to Taronik (1888 p), rich in storks' nests. Turning right in the village, the left after 500 meters, the paved road leads to a substantial mound 1 km W of Taronik, the site of the Chalcolithic through Early Iron Age settlement of Metsamor*, with a small but rich archaeological museum* adjunto. Excavations have shown that back in the early Bronze Age (late 4th-3rd millenia BC) Metsamor was flourishing, occupied an area of 10.5 hectares and consisted of a citadel fenced in by a sturdy Cyclopean wall and a zikkurat observatory sited on a low mountain ridge. In the early Iron Age (11th-9th cc BC) Metsamor was already a city. The citadel, observatory and dwelling blocks that occupied the lowland stretching to Lake Akna covered an area of 100 hectares. The fortress proper within the huge Cyclopean wall housed the palacial structures, the temple ensemble with its seven sanctuaries and the outbuildings. Half a kilometer to the southeast of the citadel was the traditional necropolis which was tentatively supposed to cover an area short of 100 hectares. Small interments have been excavated along with large burial mounds and underlying crushed-stone layers yielding large-sized tombs built of red tufa blocks and encircled by cromlechs. Excavations were resumed in 1998 with funding from the nuclear plant (which pumps its cooling water from next door) in a vain effort to locate a gate (and preferably an inscription giving the ancient name) in the lower defensive wall. The summit of the mound has an early first millennium BC sanctuary, and there are important remains of pits used for gravitational separation of iron from slag. A little SW is a hill with 3rd millennium BC carvings on the rock indicating the direction of the rising of Sirius. The settlement experienced many ups and downs before disappearing in the 17th cc. The museum - opened in 1966 and with 22,000 artifacts - has a treasury in the basement exhibiting jewelry from chamber tombs around the site, and upstairs rooms display the full sequence of Armenian prehistoric pottery, including splendid black and red burnished vases. An agate frog-weight in the possesion of the Babylonian ruler Ulam Vurarish (end of the 16th cc BC) and a seal of cornelian with Egyptian heiroglyphs owned by the Babylonian ruler Kurigalz (15th cc BC) are especially interesting. A visit to the site can be followed by jogging NW to Aknalich (2673 p). The small lake between Metsamor and Aknalich, for which the latter village is named, is one of the sources of the Metsamor river, fed by underground springs. The lake is overlooked by a pleasant restaurant.

Nearby villages include Aratashen (2688 p, church of 1870, S of village is Neolithic-Chalcolithic tell), Khoronk (2164 p, S. Nshan church of 1880), and Artimet (1513 p, till recently Atarbekian, S. Grigor Lusavorich church of 1876). Further south by the railroad are Zartonk (1831 p, originally with Yeghegnut), Yeghegnut (1759 p, until 1947 Ghamishlu, before then Sefiabad), and Artashar (962 p, formerly Azeris).

W of Aknalich, the new city of Metsamor (8853 p, hotel) rises on the right. It was incorporated in 1979, designed to house workers for the nuclear power plant.

Sardarapat and Ancient Armavir (Section 4 Map D)

On reaching the Marz capital of Armavir (28733 p), the main road passes under a large red stone overpass. Turning right before the overpass, one enters the city, passing on the right the Armavir Cognac factory. Armavir also boasts a hotel, restaurants, and a private zoo/botanical garden.

To reach Sardarapat, pass underneath the overpass and immediately turn right and back up and over the railroad lines. The road will jog right, then left, passing through the village of Norapat (2675 p) and become the wide main road leading straight to Sardarapat battle monument and museum =70+= (40 05.58n x 043 56.77e). First village is Hoktember (5387 p, church). Turning right on the paved road in the village (W toward the village of Dzerzhinski), somewhere on the right before the cemetery is the site of the important Persian fortress of Sardari Berd. This was built around 1810 with British technical assistance by Sardar Hosein Qoli Khan, last and best of the Persian governors of the Erevan Khanate, using stones taken from the ruins of ancient Armavir, some still bearing traces of cuneiform inscriptions. Used as administrative center for the Sardarapat district and summer residence of the Khan of Erevan, the fortress was taken by the Russians under General Paskevich in 1828, despite stout defense by Khan Hasan, Hosein's brother. Almost no trace of the fortress is left, this remnant of foreign rule having been dismantled to build Soviet Armenia.

On this side road is Dzerzhinski (1512 p), a former state farm founded in 1946 in honor of Felix Dzerzhinski (1877-1926), Lenin's Secret Police chief and hero in the ceaseless war against counterrevolutionary traitors and saboteurs. Also, the village of Lenughi (1510 p), till 1946 Aghlanli Nerkin, with S. Nshan church from 1870s.


6. Wine-Making Facility – 6,100 years old

In a cave in southern Armenia a team of international archaeologists have unearthed a wine press for stomping grapes. Fermentation and storage vessels, drinking cups, and withered grape vines, skins, and seeds have also been discovered at the site. The installation suggests the Copper Age vintners pressed their wine the old-fashioned way, using their feet. Juice from the trampled grapes drained into the vat, where it was left to ferment. The wine was then stored in jars—the cool, dry conditions of the cave would have made a perfect wine cellar. Ancient-wine expert Patrick E. McGovern, a biomolecular archaeologist at the University of Pennsylvania Museum in Philadelphia, called the discovery “important and unique, because it indicates large-scale wine production, which would imply, I think, that the grape had already been domesticated.” The apparent discovery that winemaking using domesticated grapevines emerged in what’s now Armenia appears to dovetail with previous DNA studies of cultivated grape varieties, McGovern said. Armenian Highlands are considered the birthplace of viticulture. It is believed the wine has been used for religious or ritualistic purposes. The discovery is important, the study team says, because winemaking is seen as a significant social and technological innovation among prehistoric societies. Vine growing, for instance, heralded the emergence of new, sophisticated forms of agriculture. They had to learn and understand the cycles of growth of the plant. They had to understand how much water was needed, how to prevent fungi from damaging the harvest, and how to deal with flies that live on the grapes. Chemical analysis of the residue has dated the winery to 4,100 BCE. “This is the earliest, most reliable evidence of wine production,” said archaeologist Gregory Areshian of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).


Weapons and Wealth

So during the middle of the second millennium BC, gold items, and the moldings of gold, silver, copper and bronze were exported from Armenia to many other countries. Since the 17th century BC great amounts of iron from Armenia was exported to the Hittites Kingdom, Egypt, Assyria, North Caucasus and Central Russia in the form of weapons and decorations designed for daily use.

During that time period Armenia was supplying almost all neighboring countries with ferrous (or iron) chariots and horses. In addition to this, according to Manetho, who was priest in Egypt, horse domestication first occurred in the Armenian Highland.

So Armenia's natural resources contributed significantly to the development of neighboring countries’ economies and military preparedness. Because of this, ancient countries of the Middle East sought to control Armenia, or establish permanent trade relations.

These trade relations with distant countries contributed to the development of the geological and geographical knowledge of Armenians.

Mineral and metallurgical traces at Metsamor site, Armenia. (Photo courtesy author)

Is it possible that the development of metal ore and metallurgical production of metals—primarily, the production and export of iron—was the basis of the development of astronomical knowledge in the Armenian Highland? Perhaps the simultaneous existence of a metallurgical complex and observatory at ancient site of Metsamor is not accidental, but has a very clear and reasonable explanation.

Featured image: Metal belt from Metsamor site, Armenia. Second century BC. Photo courtesy author, Lilit Mkhitaryan


History of Armenia

The Armenian Highlands are located in the Northern border of Western Asia between Small Asian Plateau and Iranian Plateau, between the plains of the Black Sea and Mesopotamia. The people of Armenia have been formed and have created their statehood in the Armenian Highlands and have created their unique culture. The Armenian Highlands nearly totally coincide with the Armenian historical motherland. As the Armenian Highlands were located in the centre of the route of strategic trade and they were rich in a number of recourses, managed to have a great power and ambitions. The creation of the state and its maintenance was not stable. For the first time we learn of the country Armenia from the Sumerian cuneiforms of 3rd century B.C. The word “Haya” is connected with the suffix “stan”, which means country. Hayk was the strongest and the most famous leader of Armenia. In his honor the country was called Hayk’s country. Hayk had lived in the foothills of Ararat he had travelled a lot and had assisted in the building of the Babylonian Tower. After coming back into the Highlands he defeated Babylon’s King Bell. It was 2492 B.C. According to the cuneiforms of Assyrian Babylon of 13-12th century B.C. Armenia was called Nayiri (country of rivers). Due to the archeological excavations we are acknowledged about the Kingdom of Ararat. The proof of those times are the ruins of Erebouni castle, which are present in nowadays’ capital of Armenia–Yerevan. The castle of Erebouni has been built in 782 B.C.–13 years before the building of Rome. The first century B.C. is called a golden century in Armenia. Culture and art were developed during this century. The first unified kingdom of the Armenian Highlands that is mentioned in the Bible is known as the Kingdom of Ararat. It was a powerful rival of the Assyrian Empire. In the 6-4th centuries B.C. Armenia was under the supremacy of Persian Achaemenid Dynasty. Two years before the Hellenic era the Dynasty of Artashes origins there. Mets Hayk* came to the peak of its power in the days of Tigran the Great (the Second) in 95-55 B.C. Tigran the Great was a major statesman and a general. Though in the days of Tigran the Great the Kingdom of Armenia was great, it reached the Black Sea, the Caspian Sea, the Mediterranean Sea, it became a battlefield between Iran and Rome as a result of which Armenia became a buffer state. The most difficult period for the Armenians was the first century A.D. During those times the state influence of the Parthian slowly got worse. The influence of the Romans became powerful for two and a half centuries, who asserted their power in that region. Thus, Armenia became the enemy of Rome. The Armenian dynasty of Arshakuni started from that time on and continued for four centuries. The activity of Armenians started during that time. Many ancient castles and towns were rebuilt during that time. The most important thing during that era was that culture and science were developed. The town of Vagharshapat was built there. And from this town Christianity began to spread all over the world: the Armenians were the first to adopt Christianity in 301. According to the decree of Milan, Christianity was adopted in Rome in 313. As compared to other countries Armenia was the first one. According to the legend the people who taught Christianity in Armenia during the first century A. D. were two apostles of Jesus Christ–Bartholomew and Thaddeus. Due to the hard work of St Grigor during that time, King Trdat the Third adopted Christianity as a state religion. Until that time the most famous religion was Zarathustra Paganism was not few either. In 387 Armenia lost its statehood: one part became a part of Byzantium and the other one became Persia’s part. There has been one important war in the history of Armenia. And that was the battle of Avarayr in 451. During that battle there were one hundred thousand people in the Armenian troops, of which 66 thousand were warriors of the ministerial regimen and the other 34 thousand were home guardsmen. The troops of the Sasanid Persia consisted of 214 thousand people. Despite of it the Armenians managed to defeat. At the beginning of the 5th century Mesrop Mashtots created the Armenian alphabet, the Bible was translated into Armenian, the literature developed and the main style of church building was consolidated. The 5-6th centuries were the era of the development of literature and architecture.

The Armenia of the Middle Ages

Armenia of Bagratuni – the Armenian Kingdom of the Middle Ages

After the invasion of the Arabs in the 7th century the Sassanid Persia started to destroy. Armenia went under the influence of the Arabian Caliphate during that time. It could control Armenia. After struggling for a long period of time the Armenians could defeat. In 859 Ashot Bagratuni became the king of Armenia. He was called the king of kings. In 885 king Ashot was recognized as the king by the Arabian caliphate. Economy, culture and politics of Armenia were developed at the beginning of the 9th century. From the first half of the 9th century there appeared the dynasty of Bagratunies. The re-establishment of the important role in the world trade launched the growth of a number of cities. The building of churches began to prosper. The castle of Ani became famous in the 5th century. Ani was called the city of one thousand and one churches. The city was surrounded by walls there were very many gardens there. The population of the capital Ani was one hundred thousand: it was the biggest one in Europe with the number of its population. At the end of the 10th century, from the Eastern part of the country the Armenian Highlands were invaded by the Byzantine Empire and Seljuk tribes. In the 11th century the kingdom of Bagratuny began to perish slowly. The Seljuk tribes and Turkey got stronger at that time. From the 11th century they began to have their influence on the Northern part of Armenia. As a result of the invasions by the Mongol Empire, Lenk Timur Empire and others, the country was ruined and lots of Armenian emigrated. After the Kingdom of Bagratunies a new Armenian kingdom was created in the Southern part of the Mediteranean Sea. It was the kingdom of Cilicia. This kingdom has existed for almost 300 years (from 1080 to 1375). Armenians appeared in the Mediterranean Sea for the first time in 96-95 B.C. The Kingdom of Cilicia slowly grew stronger in 1198 and it was recognized as a sovereign kingdom by Byzantium and crusaders. After the fall of the Tatar Empire the invasions to Armenia by other barbarians didn’t stop. The troops of Lenk Timur and Shah Abas invaded Armenia at that time. In 1639 Western Armenia and Eastern Armenia of Turkey became part of Persia. Such condition continued from the 19th century to the 20th century. In the result of the repeated rivalry between the Osman Empire and Iran Armenia was divided into two countries–Armenia of the Turkish territory and Armenia of the Persian territory. In the 10- 12th centuries Armenia was in good terms with Russia. The reason for that was the struggle between Turkey and Persia. According to the contract of Gyulistan in 1804 a part of the Historic Armenia–Artsakh became part of Russia. According to the contract of Turkmenchay in 1828 Yerevan caliphate of Eastern Armenia became part of Russia. At the end of the 19th century the Genocide of Armenians started by the Osman Turkey. During that genocide there were known the resistances of the regions of Sasun, Zeytun and Van. The genocide of 1915 is the event that cannot be forgotten. One and a half million people were killed during that genocide. The rescued people spread all over the world, a part of them got shelter in Eastern Armenia. On May 28, 1918 Armenia became an independent state. In 1920 Armenia entered USSR. In 1991 Armenia got independence again and it is an independent state until now. The majority of Armenians are Christians, the main direction is Armenian orthodox church. 90 percent of Armenians belong to the Armenian Apostolic church.
Armenian church is a very conservative church. The churches that are alike the Armenian church are the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, Syrian Orthodox Church and the Orthodox Church of Ghpti. There are some catholic, evangelic and protestant believers in Armenia. There are some representatives of Yazidi belief, Muslim and Judaism.

translated from Armenian into English by M.Vardanyan


Armavir Region

Armavir Region is located in the western part of the Republic of Armenia. It’s the highest populated province of Armenia, but the smallest in terms of area. The Region occupies 4.2% of the territory of the Republic, including Armavir, Echmiadzin and Baghramyan regions. The capital city is Armavir.

Zona – 1242 km 2
Población – 263,9 thousand ( 01.01.2019 census )

Armavir Region was reformed on the 12th of April, 1995.

In the past, it included Aragatsotn Region of the Ayrarat world of Mets Haik. After the joining of Eastern Armenia and Russia, it became a part of the Echmiadzin province of Yerevan state.

The Region is included in the Diocese of Armavir of the Armenian Apostolic Church. St Astvatsatsin church of Echmiadzin is the seat of the diocese.

In the east, it borders on Yerevan, in the north on Aragatsotn and in the south-east on Ararat Regions, in the south-west it has a state border with Turkey.

Geografía

Armavir Regions occupies the northwestern part of the Ararat Physical-Geographical Region (absolute altitudes of 800-1000 m).

The natural landscape is semi-desert and mountain steppe. Dry and salted plants are common. Particularly the Ararat red-bellied insect species are frequent, and the “Vordan Red” sanctuary (200 hectares) has been established for the conservation of lush plants.

The Region is not rich in minerals and is not particularly rich in water resources. Here is the lowest lake in the country – Lake Ayghr (Akna), which covers 50 hectares, has 2m depth.

Metsamor river (also known as Sevjur river) is the only river that starts from the Region The small lake of Ayger, located near the Aknalich village,is among the few water surfaces of the Region.

Armavir Region is characterized by dry continental climate, with hot summers and mildly cold winters. Precipitation does not exceed 300 mm. Summer is hot the temperature often rises to 40-42 °C. Winters are cold, cloudy, humid (average air temperature is 10-20 ° C in January). Highland winds are constant.

Población

Armavir Region is one of the densely populated regions of Armenia, with 212.5 people /1 sq km. The urban community of the Region, with 3 cities, is 84.0 thousand people or 31.6%. The rural population is about 180 thousand people or 68.3%. Men form 48.8% of the total population, and women – 51.5%.

The Ararat valley is most densely populated (50.3% in Echmiadzin and 7.5% in the Baghramyan region). Largest urban community is the town of Vagharshapat (Etchmiadzin), with a population of 46,540. With a population of 5,584, the village of Parakar is the largest rural municipality of Armavir.

Armavir Region is homogeneous with 93% of Armenians,Yezidis (6.6%), Assyrians (0.1%), Kurds (0.1%) and Russians (0.2%).

Urban communities – Armavir, Vagharshapat( Echmiadzin ) and Metsamor.
Rural communities – 93
Rural settlements – 94

Sightseeing in Armavir

Armavir Region is rich in unique historical monuments, here 430 monuments are registered.

The former Armenian capital, Armavir, was found on the left bank of the Araks River. At the confluence of Araks and Akhuryan, ruins of Yervandashat are found.

There are also St. Echmiadzin Cathedral with its Treasure, etsamor and Zvartnots Archaeological Museums, State Ethnographic Museum of Armenia in Sardarapat, the largest outlet of Armenia’s groundwater – Ayghrlich, Musaler and Sardarapat Memorials.

Famous historical and cultural centers of the region

Bagaran St. Hripsime
Argishtikhinili ancient site Shoghakat
Ancient metalwork of Metsamor Zvartnots
Holy Echmiadzin Monastery of Translators (VII century)
St. Gayane St. Astvatsatsin Church of Echmiadzin (XIX century)

St. Hripsime
Shoghakat:
Zvartnots
Monastery of Translators (VII century)
St. Astvatsatsin Church of Echmiadzin (XIX century)

Economy and public life

Armavir Region of the Republic of Armenia is distinguished by its developed agriculture and industry. The geographical location and climatic conditions of the region are favorable for both crop development (perennial plantations, vegetables) and cattle breeding advancement. Vegetable crops and vegetables are mostly cultivated.

The industry specializes in the production of electricity, food, beverages, alcoholic beverages.

In 2017 the number of economically active residents of the region was 53.1% of the total population. The poverty rate is 34.3%. Unemployment is more serious in urban areas. The tourism potential of the region is mainly represented by rich historical and cultural values.

There are 123 secondary education schools, 2 special schools, 1 college, 9 sports schools with branches in different communities of the region. There is a vocational college in Echmiadzin. In Armavir and Echmiadzin, 6 educational institutions are providing vocational and intermediate vocational education programs, and one non-state higher education institution – Grigor Lusavorich University of Echmiadzin.

There are 58 medical establishments, 3 of which are medical centers, with polyclinic services, 1 health center, 1 hospital, and 1 regional blood station. There are 85 culture houses in Armavir, 82 of which are in rural communities, 8 are museums. The cultural centers of Yerevan are also available to the population of the region. There are 4 puppet theaters and 5 theatrical groups.

Transporte

Armavir has an advanced transport network, the total length of the roads is 613 km, of which 123.2 km of interstate and 91.6 km is of national importance. 99% of the population of the region is provided with regular bus transport.

The 70-kilometer section of the Yerevan-Tbilisi railway runs through the region. There is also a 35 km long railway of local importance.

The Armenian Nuclear Power Plant (ANPP) is located about 36 km west of Yerevan, near the city of Metsamor. The plant’soutput satisfies 40% of the country’selectricity demand. Mobile telephony and mobile internet are provided by all operators: the settlements are 100% fiber-optic and ethernet-portable, and the quality of the internet is satisfactory.

Wired telephony is available in 2 urban and 18 rural communities of the Region. There are 111 post offices of Haypost CJSC in the settlements of the region.
The population of all communities in the region has the opportunity to receive more than 10 TV channels with sufficient quality. There are three regional television companies. The entire territory of the Regionhas been covered by digital TV programs. Public Radio is also available in all settlements of the region.

Telephone codes՝

Echimiacin-231
Zvartnots-231
Baghramyan-231 90
Vache- 231 91
Noraket-231 95
Jrarat – 231 98
Xoronq- 231 99


Top 5 mysterious sights in Armenia

Our planet is really an incredible place. Although almost every single day scientists wow us with findings which our ancestors solely linked to supernatural powers and gods, the earth abounds in a myriad of mysterious places which are yet to be discovered.

With its modest territory yet rich history and culture, Armenia is a land of enigmas that have been captivating the locals and foreigners for centuries.

So, if you’re one of those curious minds, who delights in unlocking secrets and solving puzzles, let’s start our journey across the most mysterious sights in Armenia.

Top mysterious sights in Armenia: Carahunge

Called “Zorats Karer” and “Karenish” (“Army Stones”) by locals, Carahunge is the Stonehenge of Armenia. And as its better-known “fellow” Stonehenge in England, its origin and early-age functioning is still open to a question.

Located in south Armenia, in the picturesque Syunik marz, Zorats Karer’s mystic energy constantly entices history geeks and just curious minds from all over the world.
The prehistoric monument comprises stone settings, burial cysts and standing stones called menhirs (“men” meaning “stone” and “hir” meaning “long” in the Middle Breton language) all in all 223 stones.
At the first glance, you won’t even conceive that the rock complex served an astronomical observatory centuries ago, according to the most widely-spread hypothesis. Some Armenian scholars even claim it was the oldest observatory in the world! It’s still not proved, however, one thing is for sure: the mystic allure of this site will leave you wondering for a long time ahead.

Top mysterious sights in Armenia: Sevsar

Another possible evidence of Armenians being keen astronomers in the past can be accounted for the ancient petroglyphs found on the slopes of Mount Sevsar (”Black Mount”), located in Gegharkunik marz, north Armenia. Some scholars link the origin of the rock paintings to the arrival of aliens who featured their constellations and stars on the rocks. Indeed, it’s hard to believe that as far back as in the 3rd millennia BC people were able to watch the universe to later depict the cosmic bodies on stones. The exceptional significance of the petroglyphs is evident, but their real message is not yet encoded. However, the very process of immersing into the unknown depths and trying to unveil the secrets of the past can be fascinating!

Top mysterious sights in Armenia: Khndzoresk village

Armenian Stonehenge is not the only enticing site in southern Armenia. History lovers will find it fulfilling to visit Khndzoresk, one of the largest villages in Eastern Armenia. Perched on a steep slope of a canyon, Khndzoresk is a complex of manmade and natural cave dwellings which were inhabited up to the 1950s! Yes, it’s amazing how people carved out their the settlements and resided there for centuries. Apart from the caves, Khndzoresk is home to the Fortress of Khndzoresk, Saint Tadevos Church, Saint Hripsime Church and “Anapat” school-church.

In Khndzoresk, you’ll not only ”dip” into the history but also have an extreme experience: crossing the Khndzoresk Bridge which connects the two parts of the village, is not for faint-hearted. However, besides beautiful Tatev monastery and the world’s longest ropeway, include Khndzoresk in your must-see list in Armenia- it’s only 30 km away from Tatev!

Top mysterious sights in Armenia: Azhdahak Mount

Gegharkunik province is not only home to the charming Lake Sevan and awe-inspiring Sevsar petroglyphs. Here stands the magnificent sleeping volcano Azhdahak – the highest peak of the Geghama Mountains and the third highest summit in Armenia. But the mount is also famous for ancient monuments- vishaps (”dragons”) or vishapakars (”dragon stones”)- which are scattered on its slopes.

The dragon-like stones featured the mythological dragons which according to the old legends blocked the way to the water and demanded a human sacrifice for further access. It’s part of Armenian folklore, indeed. However, remnants of dinosaurs in this territory hint us that the legend perhaps is not ungrounded.

Of course, you’re not going to see any ”Jurassic Period” characters near Azhdahak (though some shepherds claim they do), but you’ll be intrigued to disclose another secret of Azhdahak- a gigantic hole that is far from volcanic origin. While some scholars are sure it’s a trace of UFO, the better substantiated version so far is that it was caused by an asteroid weighing around 300kg. Anyways, it’s up to you to stick to either of the hypothesis or even propose your own one!

Top mysterious sights in Armenia: Zvartnots Temple

Beautifully lounging against the background of biblical Ararat, Zvartnots Temple (to be more precise- what was left of it), is yet another mystery of the Armenian history. Dating back to the 7-8th centuries AD, the temple was exceptional for the time in terms of its height and grandeur. It’s still open to question what caused the destruction of the temple- whether a natural disaster or an architectural error. The last version can be more credible as all the later cathedrals built on the basis of Zvartnots didn’t stand the test of time, either. In any case, even in its present state, standing proudly in ruins, the Zvartnots Cathedral is enthralling and is a must-see during your trip to Armenia.

Already intrigued and itching for revealing Armenia’s secrets? Contact us and we’ll guide you through this amazing country!

Images: Levon Karapetyan, Alexey Khoritonov, Edgar Barseghyan, Karen Tokhatyan, Ayas Tour


Ver el vídeo: Roma expone los tesoros de Dvin, la capital medieval de Armenia (Octubre 2021).