Podcasts de historia

Monumento Choragico de Lisícrates

Monumento Choragico de Lisícrates


El Museo J. Paul Getty

Un monumento circular con columnas corintias que recubren el exterior. El monumento tiene un techo redondo y está ubicado en un podio cuadrado. El monumento está parcialmente excavado y el terreno alrededor tiene pequeños montones de escombros. Hay algunas casas con techos de tejas detrás del monumento.

Esta información se publica a partir de la base de datos de la colección del Museo. Las actualizaciones y adiciones derivadas de las actividades de investigación e imágenes están en curso, con contenido nuevo agregado cada semana. Ayúdenos a mejorar nuestros registros compartiendo sus correcciones o sugerencias.

Tenga en cuenta que esta base de datos puede incluir imágenes y lenguaje original considerados despectivos, ofensivos o gráficos, y puede no ser adecuada para todos los espectadores. Las imágenes, los títulos y las inscripciones son productos de su tiempo y de la perspectiva del creador y se presentan aquí como documentación, no como un reflejo de los valores de Getty. El lenguaje y las normas sociales cambian y la catalogación de una colección es un trabajo continuo en progreso. Alentamos su opinión para mejorar nuestra comprensión de nuestra colección.

Se han realizado todos los esfuerzos posibles para determinar con precisión el estado de los derechos de las obras y sus imágenes. Comuníquese con Derechos y reproducciones del museo si tiene más información sobre el estado de los derechos de una obra contraria o adicional a la información en nuestros registros.

/> El texto de esta página está sujeto a una licencia internacional Creative Commons Attribution 4.0, a menos que se indique lo contrario. Se excluyen imágenes y otros medios.

El contenido de esta página está disponible de acuerdo con las especificaciones del Marco Internacional de Interoperabilidad de Imágenes (IIIF). Puede ver este objeto en Mirador, un visor compatible con IIIF, haciendo clic en el icono IIIF debajo de la imagen principal o arrastrando el icono a una ventana abierta del visor IIIF.


Monumento Choragico de Lisícrates

Ver todas las fotos

En la antigua Grecia, los concursos anuales de teatro patrocinados por Choregoi, ricos mecenas de las artes dramáticas, se llevaron a cabo en el Teatro de Dioniso. Los chorēgos que patrocinaron la actuación ganadora recibieron un premio, un gran trofeo en forma de trípode de bronce. En 334 a. C., Lisícrates recibió el primero de esos premios y encargó un monumento para su trofeo.

El monumento se encuentra en Tripidon Street (Calle de los Trípodes), la antigua calle que conducía desde la entrada de la ciudad al teatro, y que una vez estuvo bordeada de monumentos corales. Los cimientos de los demás se descubrieron en la década de 1980, pero el monumento de Lysicrates es el único que permanece intacto.

El monumento tiene una base de mármol cúbico y una rotonda con medias columnas de estilo corintio que sostienen un arquitrabe. Sobre el arquitrabe está el entablamento, que contiene frisos que representan escenas de la obra ganadora de Lisícrates. Muestran a Dioniso, el dios griego del escenario, derrotando a los piratas convirtiéndolos en delfines. El entablamento originalmente sostenía una cúpula, ahora desaparecida, que era la base de tres pergaminos que sostenían el trofeo en forma de trípode.

En 1658, se fundó un monasterio capuchino francés en el sitio y más tarde logró comprar el monumento. Los monjes utilizaron el monumento como biblioteca y sobrevivió a lo largo de los años en parte gracias a esto. El monasterio en sí tiene un par de otros reclamos de fama. El poeta Lord Byron se hospedó allí durante una visita a Grecia en 1810 y escribió su famoso poema, "La doncella de Atenas". Y en 1818, un monje plantó las primeras plantas de tomate en Grecia junto al monumento a Lysicrates en los jardines del monasterio.

El monumento corágico fue dañado y parcialmente enterrado en escombros en 1824 durante la Guerra de Independencia de Grecia, cuando el monasterio fue destruido. Fue restaurado con la ayuda del gobierno francés y ahora se alza con orgullo en la plaza del mismo nombre.


Renacimiento del Monumento Choragic de Lysicrates en el Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney

El Monumento Choragic restaurado de Lysicrates ubicado en el Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney se inaugurará el 16 de octubre.

El monumento de 148 años había caído en un estado de desesperación a lo largo de los años. Sin embargo, gracias a John y Patricia Azarias, quienes emprendieron una misión de dos años para restaurar el tesoro nacional, el monumento ha tenido un lavado de cara de $ 600,000 de fondos privados y gubernamentales.

La pareja había estado visitando los jardines en 2014 cuando el monumento abandonado llamó su atención.

& # 8220Los humanos levantamos monumentos y pensamos que serán recordados a través de ellos y luego la gente no los ve más se vuelven transparentes. Y eso le pasó a este monumento ”, dijo el Sr. Azarias a neoskosmos.com.

El Sr. Azarias explicó que pudieron atraer donantes de todos los orígenes.

& # 8220 La comunidad griega fue la primera en responder & # 8230 Los donantes provienen de una amplia gama de orígenes: africanos, anglo-celtas, chinos, griegos, indios, italianos, cristianos, judíos, musulmanes - otro testimonio de la vitalidad y diversidad de esta fabulosa ciudad. & # 8221

Pero hay algo más que el monumento que ha sido restaurado a la comunidad ya que el Sr. y la Sra. Azarias también formaron la Fundación Lysicrates, inspirada en el monumento en Atenas que fue erigido en 334 a. C. por los choregos Lisicrates en conmemoración de su triunfo en el Teatro de Competencia Dionysus.

La Fundación Lysicrates invita anualmente a tres dramaturgos a representar la primera escena de su obra y el ganador recibe $ 12,500 para ayudar en la finalización de su trabajo.

& # 8220 En esencia, estamos reviviendo la Gran Dionisia & # 8221, dijo el Sr. Azarias a neoskosmos.com. & # 8220Cada miembro de la audiencia entra al conservatorio, reciben una pequeña ficha de cerámica y luego ven una obra tras otra. Cuando se van hay tres urnas, una para cada obra, y ponen la ficha que tienen en una. La urna que tiene más es la ganadora. & # 8221

Los dramaturgos preseleccionados para el Premio Lysicrates 2017 se anunciarán a finales de este mes y se presentarán en el Conservatorio de Música de Sydney en febrero.


Monumento Choragic restaurado de Lysicrates será develado

John Azarias siempre sintió que la sociedad debía promover la creatividad.

Para él, personalmente, la oportunidad de hacerlo se presentó en mayo de 2014, luego de un fortuito paseo por Sydney & # 8217s Royal Botanic Gardens cuando, junto con su esposa, la Dra.Patricia Azarias, se encontró ante el Monumento Choragic de Lysicrates, una réplica del original, erigido en Atenas en el 334 a. C. por el choregos Lisícrates en conmemoración de su triunfo en el concurso del Teatro de Dionisio.

Familiarizados con el monumento y su significado, no pudieron evitar notar el mal estado de la piedra arenisca.

& # 8220Los humanos levantamos monumentos y pensamos que serán recordados a través de ellos y luego la gente no los ve más se vuelven transparentes. Y eso le pasó a este monumento, & # 8221 el Sr. Azarias dijo Neos Kosmos.

Fue en ese momento que se inspiró para tomar la iniciativa de restaurar el monumento y, posteriormente, formar la Fundación Lysicrates.

Como director ejecutivo en varias juntas y ex diplomático, el Sr. Azarias se dedicó a hacer llamadas telefónicas en busca de la generosidad de la gente. Al ser parte de la historia de Australia, descubrió que la gente estaba muy feliz de apoyar la iniciativa.

& # 8220La comunidad griega fue la primera en responder & # 8221, dice, aunque añade que no quería depender de un solo sector de la comunidad, reconociéndolo como un proyecto colectivo de Sydney.

& # 8220Los donantes provienen de una amplia gama de orígenes: africanos, anglo-celtas, chinos, griegos, indios, italianos, cristianos, judíos, musulmanes, otro testimonio de la vitalidad y diversidad de esta fabulosa ciudad. & # 8221

El monumento, encargado por primera vez por el tres veces primer ministro de Nueva Gales del Sur, Sir James Martin, se mantuvo inicialmente en su casa en Potts Point hasta 1943, cuando se trasladó a su posición actual en los jardines.

John con su esposa la Dra. Patricia Azarias.

Dos años después de que comenzaron sus esfuerzos, y los Azaria han tenido éxito en su misión de restaurar el monumento a su antigua gloria a través del gobierno estatal & # 8217s Stone Masons Program, que cuesta $ 600,000 en total y es posible gracias a fondos privados y gubernamentales.

Pero no es solo el monumento lo que han devuelto a la vida. En un intento por alentar y recompensar el talento teatral en Australia, han reintroducido el modelo de teatro de la Gran Dionisía con el Premio Lysicrates.

Con reminiscencias de las tres trilogías de la antigua Atenas, se invita a tres dramaturgos preseleccionados a representar la primera escena de su trabajo y, a diferencia de otros concursos de este calibre, es el público el que determina al ganador, un concepto que no ha sido implementado en ningún lugar del mundo. mundo durante unos 2.000 años.

& # 8220 En esencia, estamos reviviendo la Gran Dionisia & # 8221, dice el Sr. Azarias. & # 8220Cada miembro de la audiencia entra al conservatorio, reciben una pequeña ficha de cerámica y luego ven una obra tras otra. Cuando se van hay tres urnas, una para cada obra, y ponen la ficha que tienen en una. La urna que tiene más es la ganadora. & # 8221

El dramaturgo no solo obtiene la aprobación de la audiencia, sino que también recibe $ 12,500 para ayudarlo a escribir la obra completa.

El premio inaugural en 2015 fue otorgado por el primer ministro de Nueva Gales del Sur, Mike Baird, y en 2016 por el Ministro Federal de las Artes, Mitch Fifield.

Pero la idea de quitarle el poder al director artístico de las manos no fue inicialmente vista con buenos ojos.

& # 8220Cuando fuimos por primera vez a visitar a la directora artística del Griffin Theatre para contarle nuestra idea, ella dijo que estábamos locos, & # 8221 admite el Sr. Azarias.

& # 8220La directora artística de cada teatro es un guardián, todo el mundo va y les ruega que retomen su obra y aquí vamos a ella y le decimos que regalarás tu parte a la audiencia. & # 8221

Aunque perseverando y haciéndolo, dice que la fundación ha creado una plataforma alternativa para que los productores de teatro y los directores artísticos vean cómo reacciona el público. En el futuro, espera que el evento se extienda durante dos o tres días y atraiga la atención en todo el mundo.

Junto con la inauguración del monumento este mes, se lanzará el libro The Lysicrates Prize 2015: The People & # 8217s Choice y se anunciarán los dramaturgos preseleccionados para el Premio Lysicrates 2017. La presentación está programada para seguir en el Conservatorio de Música de Sydney en febrero, y en un intento por atraer a personas de todos los sectores de la sociedad, no habrá tarifa de entrada.

& # 8220 Queremos tener gente de todos los códigos postales, de todos los grupos de edad y no solo de los sospechosos habituales que normalmente van al teatro o son de la escena teatral & # 8221, dijo el Sr. Azarias.

Para algunos, puede parecer que es un gran esfuerzo ir a conmemorar un tiempo en la historia antigua hace mucho tiempo. Pero para el Sr. Azarias es mucho más que eso.

& # 8220El monumento es parte de nuestra herencia aquí tiene 148 años y no solo celebramos nuestro pasado, sino que también promovemos la creatividad australiana, & # 8221, que él dice que es el objetivo principal de la fundación & # 8217.
& # 8220El lema de nuestra fundación es que son los garabateadores, embadurnadores y una variedad de cabezas de huevo los verdaderos tesoros de una sociedad, los que capturan nuestras historias - ellos serán los que serán recordados. Nada más se recordará en el futuro, nada más. & # 8221


El modelo mismo de un monumento antiguo-moderno

Demolición de & # 8220Pennsylvania Bank, 1867, & # 8221 Detalle de impresión de albúmina por John Moran, fotógrafo. (La Compañía de Bibliotecas de Filadelfia) The Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, de James Stuart & # 8217s Antiquities of Athens, 1762. (Bibliotecas Smithsonian)

Para la década de 1830, tendrías pensamiento la gente puede empezar a cansarse un poco de ver a cada arquitecto traduciendo su ciudad al griego. Y ellos podría si no hubiera sido por la forma de William Strickland de combinar lo muy antiguo y lo muy nuevo. Este más creativo de la generación local de arquitectos / ingenieros no rehuyó mover el juego un poco más. Strickland sacó su copia de Stuart's Antigüedades de Atenas, un libro que había existido durante setenta años y que durante mucho tiempo había sido utilizado como fuente por arquitectos como Benjamin Henry Latrobe, John Haviland y el propio Strickland.

Pero ahora había mucho más en juego. Strickland enfrentó el desafío de tener sentido arquitectónico en un lote de construcción muy prominente y de formas extrañas definido por Dock, Walnut y Third Streets. Y se encontró trabajando a la sombra de la obra maestra de su mentor, el Bank of Pennsylvania. Este sitio difícil exigía una solución imponente e innovadora. Exprimir un templo griego rectangular en un lote de construcción triangular simplemente no sería suficiente. Strickland necesitaba encontrar soluciones de diseño que fueran aún más atrevidas, pero también consideradas con más cuidado.

Y así lo hizo. Strickland colocó en el extremo estrecho de esta cuña un pórtico semicircular elevado, lo que hace que esta fachada este parezca una gran entrada en una plaza cívica. (En realidad, esta es la gran parte trasera redondeada del edificio. Strickland hizo de Third Street la entrada fácil de usar).

Perspectiva de la antigua bolsa de valores en las calles Dock y Walnut, 24 de marzo de 1915. (PhillyHistory.org)

Aquí, en Filadelfia, a pocas cuadras de la ribera de la ciudad, frente al sol de la mañana (el mismo que iluminaba la antigua Atenas) se encontraba la obra maestra de Strickland. A diferencia de sus otros edificios del Renacimiento griego, esta no era una réplica arrancada de las páginas de Antigüedades de Atenas. Aquí había una valla publicitaria en 3-D de características griegas al servicio de Filadelfia, aquí y ahora.

Para la cúpula, que unió todo el proyecto, Strickland se inspiró en la ilustración de Stuart de un monumento del 334 a. C. que aún se encuentra en las calles de Atenas. El Monumento Choragic de Lisícrates fue un pedestal de 21 pies de autocomplacencia por un premio coral ganado en un concurso de artes escénicas, parte del mismo festival que produjo los grandes dramas de Esquilo, Sófocles y Eurípides. Stuart y William Henry Playfair diseñaron réplicas literales en Staffordshire y Edimburgo. Aquí en Filadelfia, Strickland se tomó grandes libertades con el diseño y logró resultados muy estadounidenses.

Movió el “monumento” del nivel de la calle al techo. Lo hizo volar hasta el doble del tamaño del original, creando una estructura gigante que define el horizonte de 40 pies de alto y 14 pies de diámetro. Y en lugar de interpretar el Monumento Choragic de Lisícrates en piedra para las edades, Strickland lo diseñó en madera que sabía que podría durar solo unas pocas décadas. (Sería reemplazado aproximadamente cada sesenta años). Ahora, lejos de Europa, este monumento efímero, arqueológicamente correcto y escalado por el arte pop se haría eco del pasado. Pero aún más importante, aquí, sobre el paisaje urbano de Filadelfia de la década de 1830, este hito viviría en gran medida en el momento.

Lado este del edificio Merchant Exchange, 2 de noviembre de 1960. (PhillyHistory.org)

Merchants Exchange y, en particular, la torre en su extremo este, se convertiría en un elemento esencial en una nueva red de información de alta tecnología. Mucho antes de 1837, cuando Samuel F.B. Morse patentó su telégrafo (y camino mucho antes de que nadie soñara con Internet) los europeos y los estadounidenses tenían "telégrafos ópticos" capaces de transmitir rápidamente mensajes codificados a grandes distancias. Ya en 1807, el Congreso de Estados Unidos debatió y finalmente votó a favor de financiar una cadena de torres de telégrafo óptico de 1.200 millas de largo que conectan Nueva York y Nueva Orleans, un proyecto que quedó en el camino. Pero no fue descabellado. Más de una década antes, el invento de Claude Chappe, el "telégrafo visual semáforo", cobró vida en Francia como una conexión de 143 millas entre París y Lille que se convertiría en una red de más de 500 torres en Europa que se extenderían a 3,000 millas. En 1799, cuando Napoleón Bonaparte llegó al poder, imaginó extender la tecnología a través del Canal de la Mancha.

Merchants Exchange, mirando hacia el este desde arriba de Third St., durante la construcción de la tercera cúpula, 25/10/1964. (PhillyHistory.org)

Entonces, cuando el arquitecto estadounidense William Thornton imaginó la conexión de América del Norte y América del Sur en 1800, las posibilidades hicieron que las cabezas se volvieran locas. En poco tiempo, los empresarios estadounidenses de Boston y Nueva York tenían sus propias redes de telégrafo óptico. En el momento en que Merchants Exchange estaba en construcción, un telégrafo óptico en Boston rastreaba los envíos, el comercio y las inversiones en tiempo real.

“El tiempo y la distancia están aniquilados”, se convirtió en la proclamación popular, un mantra de la década de 1830.

No es de extrañar, entonces, que la cúpula de Merchant Exchange en lo alto de las calles Dock y Walnut cumpliera una triple función: como un lugar para los empleados con telescopios que identificaban los barcos que se dirigían hacia y desde el puerto de Filadelfia, como un lugar para enviar y recibir mensajes destellantes desde Nueva York a través de las llanuras de Nueva Jersey, y el mensaje más duradero de todos: que Filadelfia finalmente se había convertido en una versión moderna de la antigua Atenas.


Monumento Choragico de Lisícrates - Historia

Navegar

Nota curatorial

Esta es una variante muy inusual del Monumento Choragic. Fouquet no ha basado su reconstrucción del modelo en representaciones del original en Atenas, que era un monumento levantado en honor a la choregos o el patrocinador teatral Lysicrates. Un drama que había organizado y pagado, ya sea en el 335 o en el 334 a. C., ganó el primer premio en el festival religioso de Dionisia que tuvo lugar en el Teatro de Dionisio, Atenas, en honor a ese dios. El premio fue un trípode de bronce que, para conmemorar la victoria de Lisícrates, se colocó en el pequeño monumento circular que lleva su nombre (334 a. C.). En cambio, Fouquet ha basado el modelo en la llamada 'Linterna de Demóstenes', una locura alta, con forma de torre, construida en 1801 por Napoleón I en el parque del castillo de St Cloud, París, cuyas dos secciones superiores fueron vagamente basado en el monumento clásico. La estructura circular abierta contenía un busto del Emperador (replicado en miniatura en el modelo de Fouquet) y la Linterna se iluminaría para indicar que Napoleón residía en el Castillo. El Monumento Choragic original de Lisícrates era mucho más corto que la torre de St Cloud y la sección central estaba formada por un tambor hueco de mampostería con columnas corintias comprometidas. En 1870, como resultado de la guerra franco-prusiana, la Linterna de Demóstenes en St Cloud fue destruida.

Este modelo, junto con el Arco de Adriano (MR74) sufrió graves daños en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, probablemente cuando una mina terrestre cayó sobre Lincoln’s Inn Fields en la noche del 15 de octubre de 1940 rompiendo la caja de cristal y el modelo de yeso.

Las columnas de yeso destrozadas permiten ver la armadura interior de bronce que utilizó Fouquet para reforzar el frágil yeso. Parecería que estas varillas de bronce se colocaron en los moldes para los ejes de las columnas y luego se vertió el yeso líquido a su alrededor.


Inaugurado el Monumento Choragico de Lisícrates

Uno de los monumentos históricos más intrincados de Sydney ha sido restaurado a su antigua gloria, gracias al trabajo del gobierno de Nueva Gales del Sur y la unidad de canteros especialistas # 8217, un grupo de filántropos de Sydney y el Real Jardín Botánico.

El Monumento Choragic de Lisícrates, ubicado en el Real Jardín Botánico, es una réplica de 1870 de un antiguo monumento griego que data del 334 a. C.

El ministro de Finanzas, Servicios y Propiedad, Dominic Perrottet, dio a conocer hoy el monumento, que ha sido restaurado en parte gracias a una inversión de 200.000 dólares como parte del programa Minister & # 8217s Stonework.

& # 8220El monumento a Lysicrates representa la rica historia y patrimonio cultural que ha dado forma a nuestra ciudad, nuestro estado y nuestra nación, y simplemente debemos preservar esa historia para las generaciones futuras & # 8221, dijo el Sr. Perrottet.

& # 8220 A principios de este año, el gobierno comprometió $ 2 millones adicionales en fondos para nuestros canteros especializados para restaurar y preservar nuestros íconos patrimoniales, y me complació poder incluir la preservación de este monumento como parte del programa. & # 8221

Canteros trabajando en Yellowblock.

Además de sus vínculos con la antigua Grecia, el monumento de Sydney tiene una importancia histórica local considerable. Fue encargado en 1868 por el primer ministro James Martin (en honor a quien se nombró Martin Place), y está tallado en la icónica piedra arenisca Yellowblock de Sydney.

Originalmente ubicado en el jardín de Martin & # 8217s Potts Point, el monumento fue salvado de la demolición en 1943 y reubicado en los Jardines Botánicos Reales por el entonces primer ministro William McKell, luego de una campaña del periodista Fritz Burnell del Sydney Morning Herald.

En 2014, un grupo de filántropos de Sydney notó que la lluvia y los vientos habían erosionado la piedra arenisca dorada y suave del monumento. El grupo formó la Fundación Lysicrates, que ha trabajado en estrecha colaboración con el Programa de cantería del Ministro y los Jardines Botánicos Reales para restaurar el monumento.

El mantenimiento continuo del monumento será apoyado por la Fundación Lysicrates y el Real Jardín Botánico. La Fundación Lysicrates también ha fundado un concurso anual de escritura de obras de teatro en la tradición teatral griega como parte de su trabajo para promover las artes escénicas y visuales en Australia.


Conservación (construida) y monumento Choregic # 8211

El Monumento Choregic de Lysicrates se encuentra en el Royal Botanic Gardens cerca del malecón de Farm Cove. El monumento es una copia del original, erigido en Atenas en el 334 a. C. El proyecto incluyó investigación, evaluación del estado, desalinización, remodelación y estabilización de la superficie. La instigación y la participación de la comunidad fueron una parte importante de este proyecto.

El Monumento Choregic es significativo por su forma, material, artesanía y asociaciones históricas. El Monumento está incluido en el Registro de Confianza Nacional, la ciudad de Sydney LEP y es un artículo ubicado dentro de un Área de Conservación. Se cree que el monumento original en Grecia es el primer uso externo del orden corintio y se incluye en los libros de historia de la arquitectura para demostrar la composición de la capital corintia. La copia de Sydney, que data de 1870, permite a los académicos, estudiantes y la comunidad tener acceso a una réplica fielmente proporcionada para estudiar y disfrutar.

El Monumento demuestra las habilidades de copista y espeleología de alta calidad del cantero Walter McGill, conocido por tallar también los gloriosos capiteles corintios del Museo Australiano. El Monumento es importante por su asociación con el ex Primer Ministro de Nueva Gales del Sur, Sir James Martin, como en Martin Place, quien encargó el trabajo para su jardín en Potts Point en 1870. El Monumento se trasladó a los Jardines Botánicos Reales en 1943.

Iniciación del Proyecto:
En 2014, los ciudadanos privados, Patricia y John Azarias, observaron que el Monumento Choragic necesitaba atención durante un paseo por el Real Jardín Botánico de Sydney. Crearon la Fundación Lysicrates para recaudar fondos de donantes privados y el Programa de Trabajos en Cantería (MSP) del Ministerio del Gobierno del Estado igualó los fondos dólar por dólar. Esta es la primera asociación público-privada que ha emprendido la MSP. El costo total del proyecto fue de $ 450,000.

Enfoque de conservación:
Con la financiación de donantes privados surgieron ideas preconcebidas de "restauración" y expectativas de que el monumento pareciera limpio y mejorado. El equipo de MSP trabajó en estrecha colaboración con los donantes para ofrecer un marco para la toma de decisiones de conservación del Monumento basado en los principios rectores de la Carta de Burra. Un desafío importante de este proyecto fue decidir el nivel de reemplazo de piedra dada la condición existente y la exposición continua a las duras condiciones ambientales. Las cuestiones de importancia basadas en la forma (orden corintio) se evaluaron de cerca la autenticidad.

En la jerarquía de elementos significativos dentro del Monumento, el friso es muy significativo ya que las tallas cuentan la historia del dios griego Dionisio luchando contra piratas que se convierten en delfines cuando son arrojados al agua. El friso está construido con 3 piedras, cada una de las cuales cuenta un tercio de la historia. El equipo decidió volver a tallar una de las tres piedras (orientada al suroeste) debido a su avanzado estado de descomposición. La superficie de esta piedra había perdido todo detalle reconocible, como se muestra en las fotografías adjuntas. Aunque las dos piedras restantes se encuentran en una condición razonablemente erosionada, la tasa de deterioro se ha ralentizado por la desalinización y el reposicionamiento de las áreas superiores para evitar la entrada de agua. El objetivo principal del proyecto era retener la mayor cantidad posible de la piedra arenisca original mientras se estabilizaba y protegía el monumento en su conjunto para garantizar que la importancia del elemento se conservara para la próxima generación.

Investigación y documentación de amplificador:
Se prepararon dibujos medidos mapeando la condición de la piedra para proporcionar un registro en el futuro y para comparar la condición con los registros preparados por el Programa de Piedras hace 20 años. Se encargó de la fotografía profesional de archivo para registrar el Monumento antes, durante y después de las obras. El proceso de re-tallado requirió que los canteros investigaran la escala y las diferencias estilísticas entre el monumento original y la versión de Sydney. Un documento clave al que se hace referencia para volver a tallar uno de los dibujos medidos de piedras del friso del original de “Las antigüedades de Atenas” de Stuart y Revett publicado en 1748.

Compromiso con el proyecto y legado de amp:
En resumen, ningún otro monumento público en Nueva Gales del Sur alcanza tal diversidad de intereses comunitarios. Los trabajos de conservación han sido un catalizador para muchos eventos comunitarios grandes y duraderos y actividades creativas, principalmente debido a la pasión por los instigadores de proyectos Patricia y John Ararias.

La Fundación Lysicrates & # 8211 La Dra. Patricia Azarias y John Azarius se inspiraron en la Fundación Lysicrates para recaudar fondos privados para contribuir a la conservación del Monumento Choregic. Una vez logrado esto, la Fundación estableció el Premio Lysicrates, el equivalente al Premio Archibald para dramaturgos, en asociación con el Teatro Griffin.

Comunidad griega - a través de la conexión del Monumento con el 334B.C. original. Monumento Choregic en Atenas. John Azarias, fue entrevistado en la radio griega sobre el proyecto de conservación y el Premio de Teatro Lysicrates.

Comunidad de abogados: James Martin encargó el Monumento f en 1870. La conservación del monumento ha generado un interés en la comunidad de abogados para rendir homenaje a Martin por su logro como primer primer ministro y presidente del Tribunal Supremo de Australia. Una Oración Inaugural de Martín fue establecida por la Fundación Lysicrates e impartida por el Excmo. T.F.Bathurst AC, Presidente del Tribunal Supremo de Nueva Gales del Sur el 25 de noviembre de 2016 (folleto conmemorativo adjunto).

Comunidad teatral & # 8211 El Premio Lysicrates se estableció en 2015 y es un premio anual de teatro, el Premio Archibald de Dramaturgo, inspirado en el antiguo monumento griego, erigido en 334 a. C. en Atenas para celebrar una victoria del patrocinador, Lisícrates, en el concurso de teatro Gran Dionisía de ese año.
Este evento de Sydney atrae al menos a 500 personas al Monumento cada año, ya que proporciona el escenario para el anuncio del ganador. Artículo de Financial Review, 3 de febrero de 2017 (adjunto) y entrevista en Eastside 89.7FM radio http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/arts-and-entertainment/theatre-and-dance/sydney-philanthropists-create-the-lysicrates -premio-20170131-gu2c75

Byron Society & # 8211 the original Monument tiene un vínculo significativo con Lord Byron, quien escribió poesía dentro del monumento mientras se encontraba en Atenas en el siglo XIX. La Sociedad Australiana de Byron ha celebrado reuniones en los Jardines Botánicos en el Monumento para celebrar el cumpleaños de Byron.

Conservación de mampostería - La revelación de la finalización de la conservación de la obra se presentó en las noticias de ABC.

Publicado el 16 de octubre de 2016. La educación sobre la importancia del artículo y las obras de conservación fue un aspecto importante del proyecto.

Una canción & # 8216 The Ballad of Martin and Lysicrates & # 8217 - escrita por la esposa del gobernador de Nueva Gales del Sur, la Sra. Hurley y cantada por la Sra. Hurley en la presentación pública de la finalización de los trabajos de conservación en los Jardines Botánicos en octubre de 2016.

Trabajó en el proyecto:
Minister & # 8217s Stonework Program, Departamento de Finanzas, Servicio e Innovación

Lo que dijeron los jueces:

& # 8220 Maravilloso trabajo del Programa de Cantería del Ministro en una réplica de un monumento griego del 334 a. C. en el Jardín Botánico que implica investigación, desalinización, tallado y estabilización. & # 8221


Arquitectura europea y americana (1750-1900)

Esta lección cubre uno de los tramos de arquitectura de 150 años más emocionantes, 1750-1900. Se produjeron cambios sísmicos en las áreas de:

Estilo de vida: Durante estos años mucha gente se trasladó del campo a la ciudad. Inglaterra alcanzó un equilibrio de 50/50 alrededor de la década de 1850. El equilibrio de Estados Unidos se produjo alrededor de la década de 1920. Esta industrialización provocó la creación de nuevos tipos de edificios.

Gobierno: A fines del siglo XVIII, el mundo occidental experimentó dos revoluciones masivas: la Revolución Americana y la Revolución Francesa. Las monarquías declinaron en el poder y se crearon gobiernos democráticos.

Mecenazgo: El mecenazgo religioso y aristocrático dio paso a más encargos por parte de gobiernos democráticos e individuos ricos que se hicieron a sí mismos.

Tecnología: Se hicieron avances en materiales de construcción, transporte y maquinaria. Los materiales tradicionales como el ladrillo y la piedra fueron reemplazados por metales ferrosos (hierro y acero) y vidrio.

Los arquitectos y diseñadores intentaron mitigar su formación con las exigencias de la vida moderna, evidenciadas no solo en la arquitectura misma, sino también en textos arquitectónicos, diseño de interiores, excavaciones y diseño urbano, algunos de los cuales serán cubiertos en esta conferencia. Los avances en estas categorías finalmente pusieron a la profesión de la construcción irrevocablemente en el camino hacia la arquitectura moderna del siglo XX.

El punto de partida de esta lección presupone que los estudiantes estarán al tanto de las tendencias en la arquitectura barroca y rococó, pero tiene sentido comenzar con una revisión:

Muestre a su clase una diapositiva que contenga imágenes de obras icónicas de la arquitectura barroca y rococó. Me gusta usar Borromini's San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (Roma, 1638-1641) como el ejemplo barroco y Germain Boffrand y Charles-Joseph Natoire Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise (París, 1736-179) como ejemplo rococó.

Comience la revisión con algunas de estas indicaciones:

  • Describe las características formales de la arquitectura barroca y rococó.
  • ¿Quiénes eran los patrocinadores?
  • Describe las ideologías y valores dominantes de las culturas que produjeron estas obras.
  • ¿A qué fuentes buscaron?

Los estudiantes pueden sorprenderse al saber que las extravagantes cualidades de la arquitectura barroca y rococó que aprendieron a reconocer y apreciar en conferencias anteriores fueron criticadas a mediados del siglo XVIII por sus abusos percibidos de la libertad, combinando elementos clásicos de formas poco ortodoxas, y invención, como la creación de nuevos capitales. Mirar estas obras desde el punto de vista de la segunda mitad del siglo XVIII tiene el doble propósito de actuar como la transición de la última conferencia a esta y también de preparar el escenario arquitectónico para la conferencia actual.

San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane de Francesco Borromini (1599-1667) es un ejemplo de un edificio barroco que, para las mentes de mediados del siglo XVIII, incorporaba demasiada invención. Construida para la orden española de trinitarios descalzos, la planta de Borromini indica que el espacio interior de la iglesia se basaba en la geometría (triángulos equiláteros, círculos y un óvalo). La geometría subyacente se pierde entre los aspectos que hipnotizan a los espectadores: las paredes onduladas, las columnas espaciadas irregularmente, las aberturas frecuentes de las paredes y los ornamentos, todo ello mostrando la libertad con la que Borromini usó y alteró los elementos clásicos, un ejemplo significativo son las volutas de los capiteles compuestos. , some of which curve upwards instead of the traditional down. The sculptural quality of the interior is reflected in the church’s exterior. The façade swells out and in, and areas between columns are filled with niches and sculpture.

Moving forward a hundred years to the Rococo, your students will likely be familiar with Germain Boffrand and Charles-Joseph Natoire’s Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise. An oval room on the upper-level, this salon was used by a princess of the Rohan-Soubise dynasty for entertaining. The walls dematerialize, punctuated by windows, doors, and large mirrors. Extensive amounts of gilt ornamentation cover the walls and frames openings.

Themes to stress throughout the lecture include Progreso, building type, materiales y tecnología.

Background Readings

Henry Flitcroft, The Temple of Apollo, Stourhead, 1765 (Wiltshire, England).

One of the best sources is Leland Roth’s Understanding Architecture: Its Elements, History, and Meaning, second edition (Westview Press, 2007). If you are looking for information on European architecture see Barry Bergdoll’s European Architecture 1750–1890 (Oxford University Press, 2000) and Sir John Summerson’s The Classical Language of Architecture, twentieth printing (MIT Press, 2001). For an explanation of materials, see Harley J. McKee’s Introduction to Early American Masonry (National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1973). This book provides an excellent overview of the tools used to prepare building materials and terminology.

For British Architecture, see Sir John Summerson’s Architecture in Britain 1530–1830, ninth edition (Yale University Press, 1993).

For American architectural history, I recommend a series of survey texts as well as sources that are more focused upon specific artists or structures. Leland Roth’s A Concise History of American Architecture (Harper & Row, Publishers, 1979) provides a standard chronological progression through North American architectural movements. Dell Upton’s Architecture in the United States (Oxford University Press, 1998) is divided into chapters that address American architecture through the lenses of community, nature, technology, money and art.

For Stourhead see their webpage on the United Kingdom’s national trust site.

For the United States Capitol building, see James D. and Georgiana W. Kornwolf’s Architecture and Town Planning in Colonial North America (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002)—a wonderful text about colonial and early American architecture. Also see Henry Russell Hitchcock and William Seale’s Temples of Democracy: The State Capitols of the U.S.A. (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1976).

For Schinkel’s Altes Museum, see Steven Moyano, “Quality vs. History: Schinkel’s Altes Museum and Prussian Arts Policy,” The Art Bulletin Vol. 72, No. 4 (December, 1990), 585–608 James J. Sheehan, Museums in the German Art World: From the End of the Old Regime to the Rise of Modernism (Oxford University Press, 2000) Karl Friedrich Schinkel, 1781–1841: The Drama of Architecture (Art Institute of Chicago, 1994).

For the Gothic Revival, I am indebted to Chris Brooks’ The Gothic Revival (Phaidon, 1999) and Michael J. Lewis’ The Gothic Revival (Thames & Hudson, 2002).

For the Grammar of Ornament see Carole A Hrvol Flores’ Owen Jones: Design, Ornament, Architecture, and Theory in an Age of Transition (Rizzoli, 2006) John Kresten Jespersen, “Originality and Jones,” The Grammar of Ornament of 1856,” Journal of Design History Vol. 21, No. 2 (Summer 2008), 143–53 and Stacey Sloboda’s “The Grammar of Ornament: Cosmopolitanism and Reform in British Design.” Journal of Design History Vol. 21, No. 3 (Autumn, 2008), 223–36.

For the Skyscraper, I recommend Sarah Bradford Landau and Carl W. Condit’s Rise of the New York Skyscraper, 1865–1913 (Yale University Press, 1996) and Winston Weisman’s “A New View of Skyscraper History” in Rise of an American Architecture. (Metropolitan Museum of Art by Praeger Publishers, 1970).

For Aesthetic Movement architecture, see Andrew Saint’s Richard Norman Shaw (Yale University Press, 2010) Jeffrey Karl Ochsner and Thomas C. Hubka, “H. H. Richardson: The Design of the William Watts Sherman House,” Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Vol. 51, No. 2 (June, 1992), 121–45 James F. O’Gorman’s “A Touch of Nash: The Williams Watts Sherman House and the Aesthetic Movement.” Siglo xix Vol. 19, No. 1 (1999), 53–9 and In Pursuit of Beauty: Americans and the Aesthetic Movement (Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1986).

For Ecole des Beaux Arts architecture see Christopher Mead, “Urban Contingency and the Problem of Representation in Second Empire Paris,” Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians Vol. 54, No. 2 (June, 1995), 138–74.

Content Suggestions

The layout of this lecture is designed to underscore the international and intercontinental spread of architectural ideas. In most instances, I give two examples to illustrate a particular stylistic movement—one European and one American. Optional works are indented underneath to supplement certain topics. I have also included asides about materials and other topics, which can be useful.

In an hour and fifteen minutes, you should be able to cover the following works of architecture:

  • Francesco Borromini, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (Rome, 1638–41)
  • Germain Boffrand and Chalres-Joseph Natoire, Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise (Paris, 1736–9)

Second Half of the Eighteenth Century:

  • Marc-Antoine Laugier, Essai sur l’architecture (Paris, 1755 first edition 1753)
  • James Stuart and Nicholas Revett, The Antiquities of Athens: Measured and Delineated (London, 1762–95)
    • Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, c. 334 BCE
    • Claude Lorrain, Coast View of Delos with Aeneas (1672)
    • Henry Flitcroft, Pantheon (constructed between 1753-54)
    • Henry Flitcroft, Temple of Apollo (constructed in 1765)
    • Henry Flitcroft, King Alfred’s Tower (designed 1765, constructed between 1769–72)
    • Bristol Cross (a monument from the fifteenth–seventeenth centuries was moved in 1765 from its original Bristol location to Hoare’s park)

    Siglo xix

    • Karl Friedrich Schinkel, Altes Museum (Berlin, 1823–30)
      • William Strickland, Tennessee State Capitol (Nashville, 1845–59)
      • Richard Upjohn, Trinity Church (New York City, 1839–46)
      • William LeBaron Jenney, Home Insurance Building, (Chicago, c. 1885)
      • McKim, Mead, and White, American Safe Deposit Company Building, (New York City, 1882–4).
      • H. Richardson, William Watts Sherman House (Newport, Rhode Island, 1874–6)
      • World’s Columbian Exposition (Chicago, 1891–3)

      Begun in the second half of the eighteenth century and lasting through the early nineteenth century, the Enlightenment did much to affect the path of architecture. Though not a single unified movement, it was founded on the belief in progress and in the power of reason. Recent achievements in science encouraged the notion that, through the acquisition of knowledge and the application of reason social, intellectual, and moral reforms could be affected. The impact of the Enlightenment on the arts took various forms. Some artists paid homage to science, others studied the classical past. The later impacts architecture more acutely.

      By 1750, there was a growing discontent with the gaudy Baroque and Rococo architecture highlighted above. It came under fire for being dishonest, meaning that its sculptural, undulating walls and overzealous ornamentation deceptively hid the building’s supporting construction. Critics thought that these features placed the emphasis in the wrong places and architecture required a much needed return to its primitive origins. This viewpoint was demonstrated in the frontispiece of the second edition of Essai sur l’architecture by Jesuit priest and amateur aesthetician Marc-Antoine Laugier (1713–69).

      The engraved frontispiece of Essai sur l’architecture depicts a classical female figure as the Muse of Architecture, holding a compass, a right angle and reclining on an entablature. The image also includes the Scamozzi Ionic capital (Scamozzi Ionic capitals flare out at the corners when the two sides come together). This Muse directs an infant to a primitive hut, humanity’s first built structure that represents pure, honest architecture. Built of wood—both living trees and cut—the space was created using a limited number of elements: posts (the verticals), lintels or beams (the horizontals), and gabled roof. All of these elements are not decorated.

      This image served as a rallying point to galvanize people to return to a perceivably purer architecture. It should be stated here that Laugier and his supporters did not feel that the only structures that should be built were primitive wooden huts. Instead, they promoted the idea that if a historical source was emulated, it should be from a culture that practiced pure architecture. The older the civilization, the purer architecture they created. Using this logic, Greek architecture was superior to Roman, as Greek civilization was older.

      One publication that did the most to spread an awareness of Greek architecture was The Antiquities of Athens: Measured and Delineated by English architects and antiquarians James Stuart and Nicholas Revett. Conceived during the Enlightenment, when there was interest in ancient cultures, the work was subsidized and published by the Society of Dilettanti (an English group of men who had all partook in the Grand Tour. Sir Joshua Reynolds was a member of the group who painted several portraits of its members). This text is noteworthy for containing the first meticulously measured drawings of ancient Greek architecture, giving the Western world access to their natural architectural perfection. To make the text as accurate as possible, Stuart and Revett spent four years (1751–5) documenting architectural monuments in and around Athens before returning to England to begin the publishing process. Although it was intended to be the first text of its kind, the drawn out publishing process allowed for a Frenchman, Julien-David Le Roy to produce Les Ruines des plus beaux monuments de la Grèce (Paris, 1758) five years before the first volume of The Antiquities of Athens apareció. Despite publication delays, and then its gradual release, The Antiquities of Athens’ influence was international and it became a manual (historian James F. O’Gorman uses the word “Bible”) for the “Greek Revival” across Europe as well as in North America, c. 1810s–1840s.

      An illustration from Volume One of the text depicts the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates. Located near the acropolis, this monument was erected around 334 BCE to commemorate an athletic or choral victory. This circular structure is thirteen feet high, made of marble, and around the exterior are six engaged Corinthian columns—some of the earliest of that type. Now lost is a tripod trophy that at one point surmounted the monument.

      A visual and ideological counterpoint to the pursuit of a more pure architectural source is the picturesque landscape garden Stourhead located in Wiltshire, England, the vision of banker Sir Henry Hoare. Designed over decades, Stourhead’s vistas were completely constructed—earth was moved, a lake was formed by damming a local river, and flora was planted. Hoare aimed to make mimic the painted landscapes found in the paintings of French Baroque painters Claude Lorrain and Nicholas Poussin. Indeed, Hoare had collected Lorrain’s Coast View of Delos with Aeneas (1672), which influenced the designs. For example, the garden included bridges and a building with a dome, imitating the Pantheon in Rome, motifs found in Lorrain’s paintings. The winding path through the garden began and ended at the house, leading one around the irregular lake that forms the garden’s centerpiece. Along the way, one was supposed to stop at certain points to admire views and pavilions constructed in differing architectural styles.

      Palladian architect Henry Flitcroft was commissioned to construct several pavilions for Stourhead: the aforementioned Pantheon (constructed between 1753–4), the Temple of Apollo (constructed in 1765), and the triangular 160-foot brick structure King Alfred’s Tower (designed 1765, constructed between 1769-72)—the top of which can be reach through an internal spiral staircase. In 1765, the Bristol Cross was moved from its original Bristol location to Hoare’s park. Over the centuries there has been debate among historians as to how the Virgilian inscriptions on the pavilions should be interpreted, and how that affects in the viewer’s experience in the garden.

      Politically, the full embodiment of Enlightenment ideals was reached during the American and French Revolutions that took place at the end of the eighteenth century and the early part of the nineteenth century. los United States Capitol (c. 1793–1828, 1851–7, and 1856–63) in Washington D.C. became a beacon to Enlightenment ideas, adhering to the Classical spirit in its architecture’s revolutionary Neoclassical style. The federal building was envisioned as a seventeen-room brick building that would house the legislative branch of government.

      The fact that the U.S. Capitol was originally envisioned as a brick building may come as a surprise for students, who by this time are used to seeing European architecture constructed of fine stone. At the turn of the nineteenth century, American architects and builders were still uncomfortable and quite untrained in using this material. The lack of confidence architects and builders had for building stone was balanced by their assurance in using brick. Brick’s flexible recipe, permanence, and skill requirement allowed it to used across American in building construction. On the eastern seaboard, it was a material that that been in use since 1618 (the first brick building was the Fourth Jamestown Church—Jamestown was founded in 1607).

      As time progressed, other functions were added to the Capitol, such as Washington’s tomb and setting aside a space for the Supreme Court. In initial submissions, American gentlemen architects/builders failed to create adequate elegant and monumental forms that would define the nation’s new building type. President Washington called them ‘dull.’ Ultimately, the chosen design was a synthesis of competition submissions, which had referenced many aspects of other state houses, namely: a portico, a dome, a central public space, and the two houses opposite one another.

      Despite having many different creators (William Thornton, B. H. Latrobe, Charles Bulfinch and Thomas U. Walter—who were a mixture of professional and gentlemen architects), the Capitol’s various parts are united in the Neoclassical style, with the focal point being Walter’s dome (1856–63), modeled after the Pantheon. Construction of the Capitol pushed American builders out of their material comfort zones. Originally proposed as a brick structure, it was decided that ashlar masonry should be used for the exterior. For the vaulting, Thomas Jefferson wanted to use wood, but Latrobe pushed for masonry. Decades later, builders were pushed to their technological limits using a new material—iron, both cast and wrought—to create the Capitol’s famous dome.

      Nineteenth century architecture is memorable for its quick succession of historical revival styles, including the Greek Revival, the Gothic Revival, and the Queen Anne Style (a.k.a. the Aesthetic Movement), as well as introducing some major architectural publications and new building types. I hope to give a sense of the complexity of the nineteenth century architectural situation by highlighting select architectural examples, architectural texts, and new building types.

      The Greek Revival

      The facade of Karl Friedrich Schinkel’s Altes Museum in Berlin is a prime example of Greek Revival architecture. The museum is a large box with eighteen fluted Ionic columns in front, surmounted by a smaller box. The building’s sheer breadth—it takes up almost the whole width of the northern end of the Lustgarten (Pleasure Garden)—and its façade, distilled to vertical and strong horizontal elements (arches are a feature synonymous with Roman architecture), are the more primitive/pure Greek architectural characteristics to which Schinkel alluded. The most direct visual source would be the Athenian stoa poikile, the ancient covered colonnade in the agora.

      This building did much to revitalize the heart of the city. First, by placing the museum at the north end of the Pleasure Garden, Schinkel inevitably elevated the art museum’s position in society because it took its place among three other important buildings: the Royal Palace, the Cathedral, and the Arsenal. Second, Schinkel carefully controlled the viewing experience of this building. Around 1830, one approached the Altes Museum from Berlin’s main boulevard Unter den Linden (“Under the Linden Trees”—the boulevard was lined with them). Down the street, the Royal Palace anchors the viewer’s vista. As one approached the palace the trees would frame a view of the Cathedral. Upon crossing the bridge and entering the southern end of the Pleasure Garden, the view of the Altes Museum would finally be visible.

      Internally, Schinkel forcefully argued for the rotunda, a space he felt would prepare visitors to experience the building and view works of art.

      Schinkel’s Altes Museum façade conveyed his understanding of the principles underlying the pure linear forms of Greek architecture. Other architects opted for a more direct quotation of Greek architecture.

      In the United States, a fine example of Greek Revival architecture is William Strickland’s Tennessee State Capitol (Nashville, 1845–9). Well-trained (Strickland was trained by B. Henry Latrobe, whom we met above with the U.S. Capitol) and well-traveled (Strickland went to Europe in 1838, traveling through England, France, Italy and Germany. Images from his European sketchbook have been made available online at the Tennessee Virtual Archive “William Strickland Sketchbook”.), Strickland demonstrated his broad working knowledge of historic architectural sources in the Tennessee State Capitol.

      In the Capitol, Strickland referenced a different order (Doric, Ionic, Corinthian) in each main section of the building. Working from the ground upwards, the Capitol had a Doric basement, Ionic porticos, and a Corinthian tower. The Erechtheum (the Acropolis, Athens, Greece) inspired the Ionic porticos, and Strickland used plates of the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates found in The Antiquities of Athens as inspiration for the lantern for his building. Strickland modified the forms of the ancient original with windows to suit modern needs.

      The Gothic Revival

      The Gothic Revival began in Britain and spread internationally and across continents. Arguably the greatest monument to the Gothic Revival is the New Palace of Westminster, better known as the Houses of Parliament (London, 1835–68).

      The Old Palace of Westminster was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1834. On August 18, 1835, a Royal Commission was issued to rebuild the Palace and debate ensued over its appropriate style. Two main camps emerged: Neoclassical versus Gothic. Those in favor of the Neoclassical style supplied evidence such as the style’s popularity and its successful track record in high profile public commissions, such as the United States Capitol. Those who felt that the Gothic would be more appropriate supported their case with the following concepts that would be best articulated by A.W.N. Pugin, in his books Contrasts (1836) and True Principles of Pointed or Christian Architecture (1841):

      • Harmony/Fitness: It was believed that there exists a connection between culture and architectural expression. The Gothic style surfaced during the medieval ages. The architecture produced was viewed as being perfectly in harmony to its needs. During the Gothic Revival, it was hoped that if buildings were constructed in that earlier style that it might resurrect some of the sentiments and the harmony perceived as missing from modern society.
      • Nationalism/Patriotism: At this time it was believed that each culture creates its own distinct style that suits its culture and climate. In the nineteenth century, Gothic architecture was perceived as being an indigenous English style, it would be only natural to draw upon England’s own architectural heritage and not an imported style from the southern European continent. Neoclassical architectural style would further be unsuited to England as it is an architecture produced for its milder Mediterranean climate and would be unsuited to the weather conditions of the north.
      • Function/Honesty: Gothic architecture was viewed as being an honest form of architecture, in which everything included contributed to its construction. Gothic ornament was judiciously placed to enrich and accent structural lines.

      In the end it was decided that architects submit designs in either the Gothic or Elizabethan style. Architect Charles Barry (1795–1860), best known for his classical and Italianate designs, submitted the winning design. Because of his more classical specialty, he employed the talents of A.W.N. Pugin, the vociferous Gothic revivalist mentioned above. The workload between the two men was neatly divided, Barry designed space and structure and Pugin designed the ornament and the interiors.

      Barry’s design was successful for multiple reasons. First, the Houses of Parliament was built on the site of the Old Palace of Westminster and successfully integrated the surviving structures (Westminster Hall and St. Stephen’s Chapel) into the new building complex. Second, Barry created a harmonious—though slightly asymmetrical picturesque—exterior by balancing the horizontal and vertical lines.

      The exterior’s recognizable sand-colored limestone came from Anston Quarry in Yorkshire. This particular stone was selected for its cost effectiveness and because it is a sedimentary rock, it could be easily manipulated. In the twentieth century, parts of the building in which the stone had eroded significantly were replaced with a honey-colored limestone from Medwells Quarry in Rutland.

      Third, Barry’s classical training strongly influenced his logical arrangement of rooms and courtyards, which he based around the classical system of repeating modules. This can best be appreciated by viewing a floorplan of the structure. Four branches of the building radiate out in the cardinal directions: north, south, east and west from a centrally located octagonal lobby. Barry placed the Throne room (located in the House of Lords), the House of Lords, and the House of Commons in line with one another, a subtle underscoring of the line of power in the English government. Pugin designs for the interiors included furniture, tiles, stained glass, and metal work. His most sumptuous decoration appears in the House of Lords, where seemingly every square inch is encrusted with medieval-inspired decoration.

      Switching to the United States, architects such as Richard Upjohn’s used Pugin’s books as a manual to design Gothic Revival buildings like Trinity Church (New York City, NY, 1839–46). Trinity Church was one of the most noteworthy commissions executed in America in the Gothic Revival style. In Trinity Church, one sees a shift occurring in American taste from the Classically inspired to the Gothic and Picturesque. Trinity Church espoused the ideals from leaders of the English Gothic Revival, and Upjohn based its design on an illustration of an “ideal church” from Pugin’s True Principles. Upjohn tweaked several aspects of Pugin’s design to accommodate American building methods and the site such as the vaulting, the pitch of the roof, and the chancel. Longitudinal in plan and made of brownstone masonry, the church was not as elaborately decorated as it could have been.

      The Grammar of Ornament

      Owen Jones’ Grammar of Ornament (London, 1856) is a design manual that has inspired countless generations of architects and designers. Conceived during era of English design reform, the Grammar of Ornament became Jones’ aesthetic treatise. los Grammar of Ornament contains Jones’ 37 propositions (principles) of design, nineteen chapters dedicated to historical types of ornament, and a single chapter dedicated to the common denominator behind all ornament—nature appeared in 100 chromolithographed plates, in which there were 1,000 cropped illustrations ornament, which removed any hint of an original context.

      The quality of the lithographic plates is one factor that made the Grammar of Ornament famoso. The content of the Grammar of Ornament appealed to architects, designers, and reform design thinkers, as John Kresten Jespersen writes, “for a century (after its publication), almost every architect’s office had a copy of the Grammar of Ornament. " The intent of this publication was not to give architects, ornamentalists and designers a template from which to copy in their work, rather to allow individuals to absorb lessons from the past and apply this information to the ornament that would suit modern life.

      The Skyscraper

      The skyscraper is an American invention. Created in the second half of the nineteenth century and refined throughout the rest of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, skyscrapers—from the very beginning—have been symbols of commerce and prestige. The skyscraper is the first instance where the architectural story begins in America and then spread overseas. Scholars agree that a skyscraper must contain three features:

      • Significant Height: (more vertical than horizontal) This building type was created to suit the need for increased building space in major urban areas, the two most important of which were New York City and Chicago. The scarcity and the cost of land in these and other urban areas forced architects to build in only one direction—upwards.
      • Passenger Elevators: As human beings are usually opposed to walk up more that five flights of stairs, the incorporation of passenger elevators were a blessing. Elevators made each and every floor just as easily accessible and rentable, enabling building to be higher.
      • Metal Frame: Iron’s popularity increased in the middle of the nineteenth century as architects discovered its potential in building construction. Iron was used two ways in architecture: cast and wrought. Cast iron was a strong metal, capable of carrying great weights by compression. Major flaws of cast iron included its brittleness in terms of ductility as well as the irregularity of its compositional makeup. Wrought iron was not as strong as cast iron, but had an advantage in that it could assume any number of shapes. The combination of cast iron posts and more extensive wrought beams revolutionized the way in which architects envisioned structure and space.

      In short, iron allowed architects to build taller and span wider distances than ever before. In other words, advancements made in skyscraper height are closely tied to advancements in building technologies that supported them. Beginning in the 1880s, the more expensive and specialized product, steel began to replace iron as the preferred structural building material (as it contained the same/or increased strength of cast iron and the ductility of wrought iron). In the 1880’s, the first architects made the switch from iron to steel.

      The earliest example of a skyscraper may surprise you. Noted authorities Weisman and Condit concur that Gilman, Kendall & Post’s Equitable Life Assurance Company Building (New York City, 1868–70 destroyed) is the first skyscraper, since it was the first building that was designed and built containing all three of the aforementioned skyscraper features. Our twenty-first-century eyes, accustomed to seeing skyscrapers as enormous structures built of a curtain of metal and glass, would likely not recognize Equitable Life Assurance Company Building as an early descendant. This lost structure (for which no plans survive) is known only through images and building records. At 130 feet in height, this building was not significantly taller than surrounding commercial buildings. Yet, the conscious incorporation of the elevator transformed commercial architecture, as it allowed all eight stories to be easily reached, and therefore easily rentable.

      Architects cloaked the Equitable’s iron skeleton in the only way they knew how: with a grey-granite masonry, arranged with tiers—separated by entablatures—and capped with a hipped roof. In images the structure has a very Second Empire appearance, a style believed to be chosen for its ability, given Haussmann’s opulent Paris, to signify stability and prosperity. From the very beginning, skyscrapers served as office buildings. Throughout the later nineteenth century architects worked to give a characteristic facade to the skyscraper. Two major trends emerged: “wild work” and the Italian Renaissance palace, which can easily be illustrated with noteworthy period examples.

      In Chicago, William LeBaron Jenney’s Home Insurance Building, C. 1885 is an example of “wild work.” “Wild work” was a descriptor used by eminent late-nineteenth century architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler to refer to facades like this one. What Schuyler found wild, or mind-boggling, about this building was the ways in which the horizontal and vertical lines were constantly interrupted. The Home Insurance Building is also noteworthy as it was the first building to use steel construction.

      In New York City, the firm of McKim, Mead, and White gravitated towards a three-part skyscraper façade, evident in the American Safe Deposit Company Building, (1882–4). This building’s three parts (basement, shaft, and third tier of space at the top) are neatly defined. Three-part façade divisions like this inspired critic Montgomery Schuyler (who we just met above) in 1899 to liken such surfaces to the three parts of a classical column: base, shaft, and capital. Over the years, Schuyler’s metaphor has been applied to, and used to explain numerous facades, and has mutated to become the accepted explanation, but is wrong. This type of façade was inspired by Italian Renaissance Palaces such as the tripartite façade of the fourteenth/fifteenth century Palazzo Davanzati, which likewise has a basement, a shaft, and a third tier of space at the top–complete with an order in the loggia. The tripartite formula became a popular pattern used by architects across the nation such as Daniel H. Burnham & Company’s Flatiron Building (New York City, 1901–3). Even two-decades after this façade pattern had been first implemented, it had yet to fall out of style.

      The Aesthetic Movement

      Aesthetic Movement architecture (which is usually called the Queen Anne Style) began in England in the 1860s and then came to America in the 1870s. It was largely used as a secular architectural style, which some critics considered to be a major flaw (since it did not transition into sacred commissions). This style was characterized by its freedom, especially in color, picturesque, and asymmetrical design, and complex ornament. One of its greatest practitioners was R. Norman Shaw and one of the most famous buildings was the New Zealand Chambers Building (London, 1871–3 destroyed), an office building. Shaw used architectural elements to break up flat surfaces and shatter the light across the exterior of this building. The tendency to create highly textured facades would become a feature associated with Aesthetic Movement architecture on both sides of the Atlantic.

      H. Richardson’s William Watts Sherman House (Newport, Rhode Island, 1874–6 and numerous additions) was one of America’s earliest Aesthetic Movement architectural works. Most Americans would be introduced to the other aspects of the Aesthetic Movement at the Centennial Exposition in 1876. The Sherman Residence was a combination of established and innovative architectural features. The established features included the asymmetry (attempting to break the box) of early nineteenth century homes. The innovative feature was a new form of space—the living hall. The Sherman House’s living hall stretched the depth of the building and contained a hearth and a massive staircase. A variety of rooms (public, private, servant quarters) radiated off this living hall which produced an irregular floorplan.

      The irregularity of the floor plan was expressed in the asymmetry of the façade’s exterior. Within the gables Richardson created the silhouette of a saltbox house. The inclusion of this profile is noteworthy as Richardson revived a distinctive aspect of American colonial architecture. Additionally, on the facade, Richardson varied surface texture, allowing light to break apart on the surface, causing a scintillating effect. Inside, a selection of decorative objects—such as art glass—further underscored the philosophy of the Aesthetic Movement.

      Second Empire Paris and Ecole des Beaux Arts Classicism

      Charles Garnier’s Paris Opera House (Paris, 1862–75) is a building about spectacle. A grand structure, it was one of many that fit into Baron Haussmann’s revitalization of urban Paris. The Opera’s spectacle begins with its location. Built on its own island, it is approachable from several streets and the major Avenue de l’Opera, terminating in its own Place (a plaza or square). Though one may be distracted from the shear amount of ornament on the façade, the exterior overlooking the Place can be distilled into a podium-like arcaded base, atop which Garnier placed a colonnade. This colonnade was a recognizable variation of the two-part façade that Bramante’s House of Raphael popularized back in the Italian Renaissance, now quite popular in Paris. Garnier proceeded to adorn this classical façade with sculptural accents for which he employed some of the finest artistic talents in Paris—such as Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, who sculpted El baile.

      The building’s entrances were designed to accommodate the societal needs of different opera-goers, from the Emperor to the bourgeois. Once inside, the spaces Garnier created is the mark of the classical training regimen of the Ecole des Beaux Arts, the institution that taught Garnier. The spacious lobbies, wide staircases, and sumptuous veneered surfaces served as dramatic platforms and backdrops to an environment designed for people to see and be seen. Underneath these elaborate surfaces, the Opera’s structure made use of the latest advancements in iron construction. Inside and out, this building makes use of Classical sources.

      Although there were almost 200 structures built for the World’s Columbian Exposition (hereafter WCE—Chicago, 1891–3), the fair became a dialectic of two courses in American architecture, Ecole des Beaux Arts classicism (evident in the architecture of the Court of Honor) and Picturesque/Aesthetic Movement (evident in the architecture surrounding the Lagoon). In America, leading up to the WCE, picturesque traditions such as the Aesthetic Movement—with their colored, asymmetrical, and scintillating surfaces—were popular.

      For example, Louis Sullivan’s predominantly red and gold Transportation Building extended this visual tradition to the WCE. In contrast, the majority of the main fair structures were constructed in the tradition taught at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. These fair buildings were unified by their coloring (white), classically inspired architectural elements, unified cornice line (65’), and axial symmetry. Beaux Arts classicism had such an effect on fairgoers that it would become the favored architectural style in America for the next several decades.

      The differences between these two architectural vogues were further underscored in the WCE’s landscaped environments, designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Olmsted’s landscape architecture for the Court of Honor was a well proportioned symmetrical basin in perfect tandem with the balanced (all buildings had a 65’ cornice line) and symmetrical Ecole des Beaux Arts classicism surrounding it. For the lagoon area, Olmsted designed an irregularly shaped lagoon, in the middle of which was a wooded island with picturesque trails.