Podcasts de historia

Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Historia

Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Historia

Ocmulgee
(YTB-532: dp. 325 (f.); 1. 100 '; b. 25'; dr. 11'6 "; s. 12 k .; cpl. 8; GL Hisada.)

Ocmulgee (YTB-532) fue establecido por Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, Nueva Jersey, el 1 de noviembre de 1944 y el 30 de diciembre de 1944; y puesto en servicio el 2 de junio de 1945.

Ocmulgee sirvió en el 3er Distrito Naval hasta que fue transferida a Green Cove Sprin ~ s, Florida, y puesta fuera de servicio, en reserva, en marzo de 1946. Permaneció atracada en Green Cove Sprinp hasta que fue reactivada y asignada al 6º Distrito Naval en mayo de 1947. Redesignada YTM-532 en febrero de 1962, ha permanecido en servicio en ese distrito hasta 1969.


Conseguir un parque nacional en el centro de Georgia

El río Ocmulgee atraviesa el corazón de Georgia. El Servicio de Parques Nacionales está buscando formas de preservar y proteger toda la historia y la vida que alberga.


Historia

Los cazadores de la Edad de Hielo llegan al sureste, dejando una de sus puntas de lanza distintivas & quotClovis & quot en la meseta de Macon (en la década de 1930, se convirtió en el primer artefacto de este tipo encontrado in situ en el sur de los EE. UU.).

8.000-9.000 a. C. Periodo de transición

La gente se adapta al clima que se calienta gradualmente a medida que los glaciares se derriten y muchos mamíferos de la Edad del Hielo se extinguen.

1.000-8.000 a. C. Período Arcaico

Adaptación eficiente de la caza / recolección a un clima muy parecido al actual uso del atlatl (lanzador de lanzas), herramientas de carpintería, etc. El venado cola blanca se convierte en un alimento básico en extensos montículos de concha a lo largo de la costa y algunos ríos del interior.

2.500 a. C. Primera alfarería en este país Aparece a lo largo de la costa de Georgia / Carolina del Sur y pronto se filtra en lo que ahora es Middle Georgia. Se templa o refuerza con fibras vegetales que se queman durante la cocción, dando una apariencia de agujero de gusano a la superficie del recipiente.

1000 a.C.-900 d.C. Período del bosque

Cerámica templada con arena y arenilla, a veces decorada con diseños elaborados incisos, punteados o estampados en su superficie antes de la cocción cultivo de girasoles, calabazas y varias otras plantas construcción de aldeas semipermanentes montículos de efigie de piedra y entierro de tierra y montículos de plataforma conexiones a la Culturas Adena / Hopewell más al norte y Weeden Island en Florida y Georgia del Sur.

900-1150 d.C. Período temprano del Misisipio

Una nueva forma de vida, que se cree que se originó en el área del río Mississippi, aparece en la meseta de Macon. Estas personas, cuya alfarería es diferente a la de las culturas Woodland de la zona, construyen un gran centro ceremonial con enormes montículos de tierra para templos / entierros / domicilios y casas de tierra, que sirven como cámaras formales del consejo. Su economía está sustentada por la agricultura, con maíz, frijoles, calabazas y otros cultivos plantados en la rica llanura aluvial del río. Los pueblos indígenas de los bosques en las áreas circundantes interactúan con estas personas, quienes poseen los primeros símbolos y artefactos asociados con el Complejo Ceremonial del Sureste (Culto del Sur).

1150-1350 Período maduro del Misisipio

La gran ciudad de la meseta de Macon declina y los montículos y aldeas de Lamar y Stubbs aparecen río abajo. Estas ciudades son una combinación de la antigua cultura Woodland y las ideas de Mississippian. El Culto del Sur, que se distingue por motivos artísticos extravagantes y artefactos especializados, florece en lugares como Roods Landing y Etowah (GA), Moundville (AL), Hiwasee Island (TN), Cahokia (IL) y Spiro (OK).

1350-1650 Período tardío del Misisipio (protohistórico)

La cultura Lamar, llamada así por los montículos de Lamar y la unidad de aldea del Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee, se generaliza en los cacicazgos del sureste marcados por aldeas más pequeñas, más numerosas y a menudo empalmadas con un centro ceremonial marcado por una o dos combinaciones de montículos de Woodland y Mississippian. elementos.

1540 Cronistas de la expedición de Hernando DeSoto en el interior de América del Norte escribe las primeras descripciones de los Lamar y culturas relacionadas, antepasados ​​de los históricos Creek (Muscogean), Cherokee (Iroquoian), Yuchi (Euchee) y otros pueblos del Sureste. La mayoría de sus ciudades principales están situadas cerca de ricos campos de maíz, frijoles y calabazas en las tierras bajas de los ríos. Muchas ciudades cuentan con plazas abiertas y montículos de templos de tierra. Los edificios públicos y las casas están construidos con troncos verticales, entretejidos con enredaderas o cañas y enlucidos con arcilla (acacia y barro). Algunos están elaboradamente decorados y contienen grandes tallas de madera. Los 600 hombres y 300 caballos de la expedición de DeSoto devastan los suministros de alimentos locales. Las epidemias de enfermedades europeas diezman muchas poblaciones.

1565 El español establecieron su primer asentamiento permanente en San Agustín, establecieron puestos de avanzada en las ciudades a lo largo de la costa atlántica hacia el norte y comenzaron a enviar en misión a los indios. Los sacerdotes y soldados viajan por los sistemas fluviales a otras ciudades en el interior del área que se convertiría en Georgia.

1670 El británico establecer Charles Town (Charleston, SC) en la costa atlántica. A pesar de la oposición española, los exploradores ingleses inician el contacto y el comercio con las ciudades del interior.

1690 Un puesto comercial británico está construido en Ochese Creek (actual río Ocmulgee en el sitio ahora protegido dentro del Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee). Varias ciudades de Muscogee se trasladan desde el río Chattahoochee a esta vecindad para estar cerca de los ingleses. En este momento, el río Ocmulgee se llama Ochese-hatchee o Ochisi-hatchi (varias grafías). Las ciudades se conocen como la nación de Ochese Creek. Los británicos finalmente se refieren a ellos simplemente como los "griegos". Hablan variaciones del idioma moscogeano, pero su confederación incorpora otros grupos, como los yuchi, que hablan diferentes idiomas. Los Creeks adquieren caballos de la Florida española y armas de los británicos. Su cultura y vestimenta se modifican mediante el uso de bienes comerciales como ollas de hierro, cuchillos de acero y telas de algodón.

1704 Coronel James Moore, con una banda de unos cincuenta hombres de Charles Town, lleva a 1.000 guerreros de las ciudades de Creek en el río Ocmulgee a Florida. Devastan el sistema español de la Misión Apalachee y hacen retroceder a los españoles a San Agustín. Después de que muchos de los habitantes del norte de Florida son exterminados, algunos de los Creeks se mudan al área e incorporan a los sobrevivientes a su propio grupo. Estas personas se conocen posteriormente como Seminole y Miccosuki.

1715 La guerra de Yamassee estalla en protesta contra las indignidades británicas relacionadas con el comercio de pieles, incluida la toma de indios enviados como esclavos para trabajar en las plantaciones de azúcar del Caribe. Muchos comerciantes en territorio indio mueren. En represalia, los británicos queman Ocmulgee Town en Ochese Creek. Los pueblos de Creek se retiran al río Chattahoochee y los Yuchis se mueven con ellos. La gente se conoce como los arroyos inferiores. Los arroyos superiores se centran en los ríos Coosa y Tallapoosa al noreste.

1733 La colonia de Georgia se asienta en tierras a lo largo de las orillas del río Savannah entregadas al general James Oglethorpe por el jefe Tomochichi de los Yamacraws, un grupo relacionado con los arroyos inferiores. La colonia sirve como un amortiguador entre Carolina del Sur y la Florida española.

1739 General James Oglethorpe, fundador de la colonia de Georgia, recorre el antiguo camino comercial a través de los montículos y los viejos campos de plantación en Ocmulgee camino a Coweta (cerca de lo que ahora es Columbus, GA) para reunirse con los arroyos. Uno de sus Rangers escribe una breve descripción de los montículos en lo que ahora es el Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee. Un límite occidental para la colonia se define a lo largo del río Ogeechee. El área se extiende a lo largo de la costa hasta la actual frontera norte de Florida.

1774 William Bartram, renombrado naturalista y botánico, sigue la ruta comercial de Lower Creek desde Augusta a través del área. En su diario, registra este relato de los campos antiguos de Ocmulgee:

`` En las alturas de estos terrenos bajos aún son visibles

monumentos, o vestigios, de una ciudad antigua, como artificiales

montes o terrazas, plazas y bancos, rodeando considerables

áreas. Sus viejos campos y tierras de cultivo se extienden hacia arriba y hacia abajo.

el río, a quince o veinte millas de este sitio. Si vamos a

dar crédito a la cuenta que los Creeks dan de sí mismos, esto

lugar es notable por ser la primera ciudad o asentamiento, cuando

se sentaron (como lo llaman) o se establecieron, después de

su emigración desde el oeste. & quot

1778 Durante la Guerra Revolucionaria, muchos creeks quieren permanecer neutrales, pero Alexander McGillivray (de ascendencia Creek-escocesa, educado en Carolina del Sur, jefe principal de los creeks superior e inferior) los lleva a una alianza con Inglaterra.

1793 Invención de la desmotadora de algodón acelera enormemente el deseo de tierras ricas en el fondo de los ríos. Los indígenas creek, la mayoría de ellos excelentes agricultores, se adaptan rápidamente a una economía basada en el algodón.

1805 El primer Tratado de Washington cede el resto de la tierra entre los ríos Oconee y Ocmulgee, excluyendo una franja de 3x5 millas conocida como Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve en la actualidad Macon, que la gente de Muscogee (Creek) se niega a ceder. El tratado permite a los Estados Unidos construir una carretera a través de Creek Nation hasta el río Alabama e instalaciones para alojamiento público a lo largo de esta carretera. Gran parte de esta "Carretera Federal" sigue la antigua Ruta Comercial de Lower Creek y, finalmente, se extiende desde Washington, D.C. a Nueva Orleans. El tratado también prevé un fuerte militar de los Estados Unidos en la Reserva para proteger la frontera a lo largo del río Ocmulgee. Este puesto de avanzada se llama Fort Hawkins en honor a Benjamin Hawkins, agente indio estadounidense de los Creeks y amigo de George Washington.

1806 FuerteHawkins Está construido a poca distancia de los montículos. Sirve como puesto fronterizo, comercio y centro y ubicación para los pagos de tratados a los Creeks hasta que el límite de los Estados Unidos se extienda más tarde al Territorio de Alabama. Durante la totalidad de su existencia como fuerte militar de los EE. UU., Se sentó en tierras propiedad de la Confederación Muscogee (Creek).

1811 Shawnee Jefe Tecumseh, trabajando con su hermano el Profeta, viaja arriba y abajo de la frontera exhortando a los indios a desechar sus arados, whisky y los caminos del hombre blanco. Algunos de los Creeks se unen a su movimiento y casi todos los pueblos tienen una facción llamada "Palo Rojo". Los líderes están tan divididos como su gente. William McIntosh surge como líder de la facción leal al gobierno de Estados Unidos. William Weatherford (Red Eagle) se convierte en el líder más importante de los Red Sticks.

1812 General Andrew Jackson (más tarde presidente) se detiene en Fort Hawkins durante la guerra de 1812. El fuerte es un importante puerto de encuentro para el envío de tropas. Esta guerra con Gran Bretaña se refiere a los problemas de los derechos marítimos neutrales y la participación británica en los problemas de la India a lo largo de la frontera. Aumentan las hostilidades entre los leales a Creek y los tradicionalistas Red Sticks. Los palos rojos atacan y destruyen Tuckabatchee y varias otras ciudades de Upper Creek en el norte de Alabama.

1819 La antigua Ruta Comercial de Lower Creek, ahora llamada Federal Road, es la arteria principal de norte a suroeste durante muchos años (la State Highway 49 sigue gran parte de esta ruta a través de Central Georgia). Sirve como ruta postal de Nueva York a Nueva Orleans. Se construye un ferry cerca de los montículos en la Reserva Old Ocmulgee Fields, y el primer niño blanco, más tarde la Sra. Isaac Winship, nace en el área.

1821 Los arroyos ceder las tierras entre el río Ocmulgee y el río Flint.

1823 El consejo de Creek aprueba una ley que establece la pena de muerte para cualquiera que ceda tierras sin la autorización del Consejo. Las presiones para la expulsión de los indios continúan aumentando. Algunos creeks, incluido William McIntosh, creen que la remoción es inevitable.

La ciudad de Macon se ubica al otro lado del río desde Fort Hawkins. El primer periódico de Middle Georgia, el Mensajero de Georgia, se publica en Fort Hawkins y se establece una oficina de correos.

1825 El Tratado de Indian Springs La cesión de las últimas tierras de Creek en Georgia está firmada por el jefe William McIntosh. Su primo es el gobernador de Georgia. Vende las tierras de Creek y, en consecuencia, es asesinado por su propia gente. El tratado es declarado ilegal por el gobierno federal, pero las autoridades de Georgia no están de acuerdo. Presionan más fuerte para eliminarlos.

1826 El segundo Tratado de Washington entrega oficialmente las últimas tierras de Creek en Georgia. Algunos de los Creeks se unen a los Seminole en Florida, otros se mudan a Alabama. Aproximadamente 1300, en su mayoría miembros de la facción McIntosh, se reubican en el valle del río Arkansas en el "Territorio de la India", ahora el estado de Oklahoma, en tierras que les fueron entregadas bajo el programa de remoción voluntaria del gobierno.

1828 El viejo Ocmulgee Reserva de Campos, incluyendo Fort Hawkins y los montículos, es inspeccionado y despedido en lotes de tierra incorporados a la ciudad de Macon. Roger y Eliazar McCall compran una parte de Old Fields y establecen una exitosa empresa de fabricación de botes planos. Del área del montículo, el periódico local informó:

& quotEl sitio es romántico en extremo que, con el entierro

montículos adyacentes, han sido durante mucho tiempo lugares favoritos de nuestros

pretendientes y bellezas del pueblo, y objetos de curiosidad para los extraños.

Deberíamos lamentar ver estos monumentos de la antigüedad y de

nuestra historia nivelada por el sórdido arado - - podríamos desear que

siempre pueden permanecer como presentes, sagrados para la soledad, para

reflexión e inspiración. & quot

1836 La Guerra Creek de 1836 termina cuando unas 2.500 personas, incluidos varios cientos de guerreros encadenados, marchan a pie a Montgomery, Alabama, y ​​se apiñan en barcazas durante el calor extremo de julio. Son transportados en barcos de vapor por el río Alabama, comenzando su traslado forzoso al territorio indio. Durante el verano y el invierno de 1836 y principios de 1837, más de 14.000 arroyos hacen el viaje de tres meses a Oklahoma, un viaje de más de 800 millas terrestres y otras 400 por agua. La mayoría se va con solo lo que pueden cargar.

1839 El Cherokee comienzan su "Sendero de lágrimas". Algunos escapan y permanecen en las montañas del este de Tennessee y Carolina del Norte, donde la mayoría de sus descendientes viven ahora en la Reserva Qualla alrededor de Cherokee, Carolina del Norte.

1843 El ferrocarril central construye una línea de ferrocarril en Macon a través de Ocmulgee Old Fields destruyendo una parte del Lesser Temple Mound y la gran ciudad prehistórica. Una locomotora & quot; casa redonda & quot se encuentra cerca del Montículo Funerario.

1840 Los enormes robles en los montículos se cortan para madera. Hasta ese momento, Old Ocmulgee Fields y Brown's Mount (otra pintoresca ciudad prehistórica a unas 6 millas río abajo) habían sido centros turísticos favoritos para picnics y fiestas, primero por los oficiales de Fort Hawkins y luego por los residentes de Macon.

Gran parte del sitio de la meseta de Macon se convierte en parte de la plantación Dunlap. La arcilla para la fabricación de ladrillos se extrae cerca del Great Temple Mound y se construye un factor fertilizante cerca.

1864 General de la Unión George Stoneman se acerca a la ciudad de Macon en julio. El gobernador Brown, que está en Macon, pide a todo hombre capacitado que defienda la ciudad. Una batería está estacionada cerca del sitio de Fort Hawkins. Las armas grandes se cargan en vagones planos en el puente del ferrocarril

sobre el río Ocmulgee dentro del límite de lo que ahora es el Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee. El general Stoneman destruye Griswoldville, continúa hacia Macon y quema el puente del ferrocarril sobre Walnut Creek en la propiedad de Dunlap. Utiliza la casa de campo de Dunlap como su cuartel general durante la batalla que sigue. Al no tomar la ciudad, Stoneman y sus tropas son perseguidos.

en el cercano condado de Jones, donde son derrotados en Sunshine Church. El general Stoneman y sus oficiales están encarcelados en Camp Oglethorpe en Macon y sus hombres alistados son enviados al infame campo de prisioneros de guerra en Andersonville. Stoneman es el oficial de la Unión de más alto rango hecho prisionero durante la Guerra Civil.

1874 Un segundo corte enorme para un ferrocarril (todavía en uso) se excava a través del área del montículo y destruye una gran parte del Montículo Funerario. Según Charles C. Jones, en su libro, Antigüedades del Indios del sur, muchas reliquias y entierros humanos se eliminan durante este trabajo.

1933 Una gran parte del montículo McDougal se quita para usar como relleno de tierra para Main Street. La escalada en motocicleta deja cicatrices en las laderas y en la cima del Gran Montículo del Templo. Un grupo de ciudadanos locales está convencido de que los montículos tienen un gran significado histórico y deben conservarse. Dirigidos por el general Walter A. Harris, el Dr. Charles C. Harrold y Linton Solomon, buscan la ayuda de la Institución Smithsonian, que envía al Dr. Arthur Kelly para organizar y realizar excavaciones arqueológicas en la meseta de Macon.

1934 Tesoros arqueologicos son desenterrados. A medida que avanza el trabajo, el Congreso aprueba un proyecto de ley para autorizar el establecimiento de un Parque Nacional Ocmulgee de 2,000 acres. El esfuerzo arqueológico es la excavación más grande jamás realizada, hasta este momento, en el país. La mano de obra es proporcionada por cientos de trabajadores empleados en varios programas de obras públicas de la era de la Gran Depresión.

1936 Presidente Franklin D. Roosevelt el 12 de diciembre firma la Proclamación que establece el Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee y ordena al Servicio de Parques Nacionales que preserve y proteja 2,000 acres de tierras comúnmente conocidas como los Campos Antiguos de Ocmulgee. & quot Debido a limitaciones económicas, solo se adquieren 678,48, incluidos 40 acres en Lamar Mounds and Village independientes. Más tarde, se agregan 5 acres adicionales a Lamar Mounds and Village Unit y la parcela conocida como Drakes Field es donada a la nación para su inclusión en el Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee por la ciudad de Macon. El parque actualmente abarca 702 acres.

1940 Tripulantes de la era del Alivio de la Gran Depresión, incluidos los miembros de la Compañía Civilian Conservation Corps 1426 estacionados en el Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee, son reclutados para el servicio militar cuando Estados Unidos entra en la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Los hombres son enviados al cercano Camp Wheeler, que se convierte en el campo de entrenamiento de infantería más grande de la nación.

1960 Una autopista interestatal (I-16), construido a través de la Unidad de la Meseta de Macon, corta el área de uso principal de visitantes del límite del río de una milla de largo del parque y causa cambios hidrológicos significativos en las tierras ubicadas en la llanura de inundación del río. Durante la excavación arqueológica dentro del corredor de la carretera dentro del parque, se descubre evidencia de Muscogee (Creek) y un asentamiento anterior, junto con tres entierros humanos. Varios sitios prehistóricos e históricos importantes fuera del parque están destruidos o gravemente dañados, incluido el cercano Gledhill I, II y III (donde un recolector de artefactos encuentra una punta de lanza de la Edad de Hielo Clovis durante la remoción de tierra de relleno para la construcción de carreteras), a lo largo de con el sitio New Pond, el montículo Adkins y la cueva Shellrock. Las aldeas y campamentos arcaicos, Woodland, Mississippian e históricos Creek al otro lado del río, como Mile Track, Napier, Mossy Oak y Horseshoe Bend, ya están dañados por la construcción de diques en la década de 1940.

1970 Los montículos y el pueblo de Swift Creek, sitio tipográfico para una cultura generalizada del período Woodland, se destruye para la construcción de un campo de tiro del Departamento del Sheriff del condado de Bibb. Las primeras colecciones arqueológicas del Dr. Kelly, todavía bajo el cuidado del Servicio de Parques Nacionales, son todo lo que queda de este gran sitio, que estaba ubicado en Ocmulgee Old Fields cerca de la Unidad de la aldea Lamar del Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee.

1992 Descendientes de Roger y Eliazar McCall donar casi 300 acres, junto al límite de Walnut Creek del parque, al Servicio de Parques Nacionales. The Archeological Conservancy acepta la propiedad pendiente de legislación para incorporarlo al Monumento Nacional Ocmulgee. La tierra, propiedad de esta familia durante casi 175 años, ha sido designada Reserva Arqueológica Scott-McCall.

1997 El viejo Ocmulgee Los campos se determina que son elegibles para convertirse en el primer Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos en la lista de una Propiedad Cultural Tradicional, o Distrito, al este del río Mississippi. Esta distinción reconoce la gran importancia del área para la gente de Muscogee (Creek).

Regalo El personal del parque, el Ocmulgeemonumento Nacional Asociación, los Amigos de Ocmulgee Old Fields y los muchos voluntarios del parque permanezca dedicado a la misión de proteger y preservar este lugar tan especial para el disfrute de los ciudadanos de hoy y las generaciones futuras.

Corkran, David H. La frontera del arroyo, 1540-1783. Norman: Universidad de Oklahoma, Prensa, 1967.

Cotterill, Robert S. Los indios del sur, la historia de las cinco tribus civilizadas antes de la expulsión.

Norman: Prensa de la Universidad de Oklahoma, 1954.

Debo, Angie. El camino hacia la desaparición: una historia de los indios creek. Norman: Prensa de la Universidad de Oklahoma, 1941.

Eggleston, George Cary. El águila roja y las guerras con los indios creek de Alabama. Nueva York: Dodd, Mead, 1878.

Capataz, Grant. Las cinco tribus civilizadas. Norman: Prensa de la Universidad de Oklahoma, 1934.

Capataz, Grant. Mudanza india. Norman: Prensa de la Universidad de Oklahoma, 1932.

Capataz, Grant. Indios y pioneros. Norman: Prensa de la Universidad de Oklahoma, 1932.

Verde, Donald. La gente de la cala. Serie tribal india. Phoenix, 1973.

Griffith, Benjamin W., Jr. McIntosh y Weatherford, líderes indígenas de la cala. Prensa de la Universidad de Alabama. 1988.

Hudson, Charles M. Los indios del sureste. Knoxville: Prensa de la Universidad de Tennessee, 1976.

Swanton, John R. Historia temprana de los indios creek y sus vecinos.

Oficina de Etnología Estadounidense, 73rd Bulletin, Washington, D.C., Oficina de Imprenta del Gobierno de los EE. UU., 1922.

White, George. Colecciones históricas de Georgia. Nueva York: Rodney & amp Russell, 1854


Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Historia


Reunión del consejo en el templo de invierno Master Farmer. Diorama del museo.


Montículos del templo y agricultura

Llegamos ahora al período de la historia de Ocmulgee que es el más abundantemente provisto de hechos resultantes de las excavaciones. Los Master Farmers, que es el nombre elegido para estas personas en las exhibiciones del Museo, eran recién llegados a Ocmulgee. Puede ser que su llegada haya sido fuertemente resistida por los primeros agricultores que habían reclamado el título de estas tierras durante los últimos mil años. Aproximadamente en el año 900 d.C., se mudaron a esta área, probablemente desde una dirección noroeste, y comenzaron a construir aldeas con algunas características muy novedosas.

No sabemos dónde comenzó esta migración, los estudiantes de la materia creen que pudo haber comenzado en el valle de Mississippi, cerca de la desembocadura del río Missouri. Sin embargo, sabemos que algunos de sus parientes más cercanos se establecieron en el noreste de Tennessee y tal vez, cuando el grupo ancestral viajó por el río Tennessee, se dividió en el punto de la abrupta curva hacia el norte de ese río en el norte de Alabama. Luego, la siguiente generación, que tomó como hogar el centro de Georgia, se instaló en dos lugares cerca del río Ocmulgee. El pueblo más pequeño estaba a unas 5 millas por debajo de la actual ciudad de Macon en un remanente de piedra caliza conocido como el Monte Brown. El más grande, que nos interesa aquí, era el "Ocmulgee Old Fields" de los primeros colonos, al otro lado del río desde la ciudad moderna. y contiguo a su límite oriental.

Sin embargo, la característica más importante que distingue a estas personas de sus predecesores no era su ciudad, sino su propia forma de vida. Eran agricultores, además de tabaco, calabazas y frijoles, cultivaban el bastón de vida del Nuevo Mundo, el maíz. Esta forma de vida les permitió establecerse en un lugar durante el tiempo suficiente y en número suficiente para crear una gran aldea y desarrollar el complejo religioso y ceremonial que se expresaba en sus numerosas estructuras distintivas. Lo construyeron en el terreno elevado y ondulado sobre el río, donde sus casas cuadradas con techo de paja estaban esparcidas entre los muchos edificios relacionados con su forma de adoración. Estos últimos consistían en estructuras rectangulares de madera a las que llamamos templos y una cámara circular con un armazón de madera cubierto con arcilla que era una forma de cabaña de tierra. A partir de nuestro conocimiento del patrón indio posterior en esta área, creemos que estos representaban los templos de verano e invierno, respectivamente, de la tribu. Aquí los hombres adultos participaban en ceremonias religiosas y celebraban sus consejos tribales y aquí el jefe podía tomar decisiones en disputas individuales o en asuntos de importancia para la tribu en su conjunto.


La foto del manual original muestra restos humanos. Por respeto a los descendientes de las personas que vivían en Ocmulgee, la representación de restos humanos y objetos funerarios no se mostrará en la edición en línea.
Una tumba de troncos y su ubicación central pueden indicar el entierro principal en la primera etapa del Túmulo Funerario. La posición boca abajo podría resultar de que los huesos reensamblados se envuelvan en una piel o estera para el entierro.


La foto del manual original muestra restos humanos. Por respeto a los descendientes de las personas que vivieron en Ocmulgee, la representación de restos humanos y objetos funerarios no se mostrará en la edición en línea.
Las masas de cuentas de conchas deben haber sido posesiones valiosas de muchos de los anteriores dignatarios de los montículos del templo.

Quizás la única característica arqueológica sobresaliente que revelaron las excavaciones en Ocmulgee es el piso preservado y las partes inferiores de uno de estos templos invernales. Los restos consisten en una sección baja de muro de arcilla que delimita un área circular de unos 42 pies de diámetro. Al pie del muro, un banco bajo de arcilla de unas 6 pulgadas de alto rodea la habitación y está dividido en 47 asientos, separados por una rampa baja de arcilla. Cada asiento tiene un lavabo poco profundo formado en su borde delantero, y tres de estos lavabos marcan los asientos en la parte trasera de una plataforma de arcilla que interrumpe el circuito del banco opuesto al largo pasillo de entrada.

Esta plataforma, en el lado oeste del albergue y que se extiende desde la pared casi hasta el pozo de fuego central hundido, es la característica más notable de todas. Ligeramente más alto que el banco, forma una efigie de águila que recuerda mucho a varias de estas efigies grabadas en placas de cobre que forman parte de la parafernalia de la religión del Culto del Sur, que se describirá en una sección posterior. El modelado de la superficie de la sección cónica del cuerpo puede haber estado presente alguna vez, pero ahora está tan borrado que solo se puede distinguir una especie de efecto festoneado en los hombros. Sin embargo, esta característica está presente en al menos dos de las placas mencionadas, una del sitio de Etowah en el norte de Georgia y la otra del centro de Illinois. Además, ambas figuras, que representan el águila moteada, se distinguen por la misma forma, casi cuadrada, del cuerpo y las alas, con solo una ligera inclinación desde la base hacia el hombro. Finalmente, la cabeza del águila de plataforma está casi completamente llena de una clara representación del "ojo bifurcado", que se presenta también, aunque en menor escala, en las dos figuras en cuestión, y es un símbolo distintivo del Culto del Sur. Toda la cámara ceremonial ha sido reconstruida sobre la base de partes quemadas del original que fueron descubiertas por excavaciones. Forma una de las principales exhibiciones del monumento y representa un tesoro arqueológico único.


Catorce escalones de arcilla, enterrados bajo la construcción de un montículo posterior, conducían por la ladera oeste del primer montículo funerario hasta su cima.

Otras estructuras descubiertas incluyeron una pequeña cabaña circular enmarcada con postes y que contenía una gran chimenea, desproporcionada con el tamaño del edificio. Evidentemente, se trataba de una casa de vapor donde se producía vapor arrojando agua sobre piedras calientes, pero no se sabe si esta forma común de purificación estaba relacionada con su religión o simplemente una característica sanitaria de la vida del pueblo. En el extremo occidental de la aldea, los jefes tribales y los líderes religiosos fueron enterrados en grandes tumbas de troncos donde de uno a siete cuerpos, posiblemente los de esposas y sirvientes, fueron depositados con masas de cuentas de conchas y otros adornos acordes a su rango. Sobre el conjunto se levantó un montículo bajo de cima plana con 14 escalones de arcilla que conducen a la cima.


La cerámica para el uso diario era sencilla pero estaba bien hecha y tenía una gran variedad de formas agradables. Diámetro del frasco a la derecha, 14 pulgadas.

Además de su gran y próspero centro religioso, podemos reconstruir muchos aspectos de su vida cotidiana en los que los Maestros Agricultores eran diferentes de sus predecesores. Esta diferencia se nota en sus herramientas, armas y utensilios domésticos. Estos han sobrevivido porque estaban hechos de un material tan duradero como la piedra y la cerámica. Las muchas puntas de proyectiles más pequeñas que ahora hacen su aparición sugieren que el arco y la flecha eran de uso general en este momento. Se ha propuesto un mayor alcance y precisión como posibles razones para adoptar esta arma en lugar del lanzador de lanzas y dardos, que precedieron al arco en la mayor parte del mundo. Quizás igualmente importante fue el aumento de los disturbios y las luchas tribales que hicieron que una mayor cantidad de misiles relativamente pequeños y ligeros fuera más eficaz en las breves escaramuzas de la guerra india que dos o tres de los dardos más voluminosos. Con respecto a sus otros equipos, sorprendentemente se han conservado pocas herramientas de hueso, pero esto puede deberse a su mayor uso de la caña, que fue muy efectiva para cuchillos, punzones y otros implementos, pero no duraron tan bien como el hueso. También se ha encontrado evidencia que demuestra que fabricaban y usaban cestería y un tipo de tela de tela de tejido simple entrelazado.

La cerámica obtenida en la excavación ya ha sido estudiada con considerable detalle debido a la reconocida importancia de este marcador de tiempo para el arqueólogo. Es aquí donde encontramos una de las diferencias más notables entre estas personas del valle del Mississippi y las tribus nativas de Georgia, cuya alfarería se había desarrollado a lo largo de líneas muy diferentes durante algunos miles de años o más. Ahora) en lugar de las muchas formas de rugosidad de la superficie que marcaron la historia de este último, las superficies lisas se convierten en la regla. Las formas de los frascos tienen fondos redondeados, a menudo son tan anchas como altas o más anchas, y muestran una tendencia hacia las aberturas estrechas. Una forma común tiene un hombro recto inclinado que gira hacia adentro desde el contorno redondeado del cuerpo de la olla de forma bastante repentina. Su pendiente puede continuar sin cambios hacia el borde, pero más a menudo volverá a girar hacia arriba para formar un labio leve o incluso un cuello corto. Estos contrastan con los frascos profundos del período anterior en los que la boca, independientemente del tratamiento del cuello o del borde, tiende casi a igualar el diámetro mayor, y en los que la base es conoidal, i. e., redondeado al menos a la sugerencia de un punto.


Las figuras de arcilla que a menudo adornaban los bordes de los cuencos abiertos representaban todo tipo de criaturas, tanto reales como imaginarias. Aproximadamente un tercio del tamaño real.

Por supuesto, los Maestros Agricultores también hicieron otros tipos de cerámica. Algunos eran cuencos abiertos y otros tenían un borde curvo que repetía con gracia la curva de la parte inferior justo debajo del vientre. También había jarras profundas de lados rectos con paredes extremadamente gruesas y grandes cuencos poco profundos de varios pies de diámetro que se han llamado salinas por la creencia de que el tipo se usaba a veces para fabricar esa sustancia. En realidad, probablemente fueron el gran plato de comida familiar de uso común también en épocas posteriores. Las impresiones de un tejido de tela trenzada en las superficies exteriores de este último, algunas marcas de cordones y un rayado burdo u otro tratamiento de los lados del primero fueron excepciones a la regla general de superficies lisas durante este período.


Las botellas de efigie solían ser una cerámica de grado más fino y generalmente acompañaban a los entierros. El agujero en la figura humana está en el corte de la cabeza, la cara está pintada, el cuerpo de rojo y el cabello del marrón natural de la arcilla. Diámetro de la botella, 5-5 / 16 pulgadas.

En lugar de la decoración de la superficie, sin embargo, encontramos otra forma de elaboración algo menos común pero igualmente distintiva. This is the attempt to depict some form, either natural or supernatural, in the body of the vessel or attached to it in some way as an independent figure. Small heads suggesting a fox or an owl or some night creature with big staring eyes grow out of the rim of a bowl and peer into it. The small handles which are fairly common on the straight-shouldered jars often have two little earlike knobs at the top and knobs and bosses with more or less modeling of the body of the pot are frequently used to represent gourds or squashes or some other vegetable which is not easy to identify. One curious style of jar has a neck which is closed at the top, something like a gourd, but has an opening about an inch in diameter below this on the side. Modeling at the top suggests ears, a style of hair arrangement, or some other human or animal feature that gives rise to the name, "blank-faced effigy bottle."

In time, other changes began to mark the village of the Master Farmers. The temples, built originally at ground level, were rebuilt occasionally and with the leveling of the old building to make way for the new the surrounding ground surface was raised at first into a small platform. Gradually this platform was increased in height and size until the mound at the south side of the village was some 300 feet broad at the base and almost 50 feet high. The other temple mounds grew in a similar fashion but were either started later or were less important and so never achieved as great a size. The earthlodges, too, were sometimes rebuilt and often on the same site but no attempt was made to increase their elevation. The funeral mound, however, followed the pattern of the others and in each new layer of the seven there were fresh burials of the village leaders, and on top of each a new wooden structure which may have been connected with the preparation of the dead for their final rites. In the later stages, too, the flat summit area was surrounded by an enclosure of wooden posts.


The structure atop the funeral mound may have been for preparing corpses for burial. From Museum exhibit.

At the northwest corner of the village lay a cultivated field which surrounded the site of one of the earlier temples. This was no ordinary field since most of these must have lain in the bottom land below the village. From its position, then, could we infer some sacred purpose, possibly to create an offering to the spirits, or by the power in its seed absorbed from the surroundings to increase the yield of the villagers' crops? In any case, the mounds for succeeding structures were gradually raised above it and by this act the rows were buried and thus preserved as conclusive proof of the advanced state of culture which the Master Farmers had achieved.


This series of cultivated rows buried beneath the fill of later mound construction confirms our belief that the temple mound builders lived mainly by farming.

The construction of all these mounds and earthlodges required a large amount of material as well as innumerable man-hours of labor. Two series of great linked pits, averaging about 7 feet deep and 18 by 40 feet in area, seem to indicate that the earth was obtained immediately outside the main village limits, for they have been traced around considerable portions of its north and south borders. They do not enclose the entire area occupied by the temple mounds, though, because at least three of these mounds lie outside their confines today others were destroyed in the construction of Fort Hawkins and the adjacent portions of East Macon a little farther to the north. It is not unlikely that the irregular ditches formed by these pits served also as a protection against raids on the village for otherwise, why would their course have outlined the village area so closely?

All the evidence, then, points to the existence here at Ocmulgee of a town of Indians who lived in a state of culture as advanced in some respects as any to be found north of Mexico. We see a prosperous community devoted chiefly to the yearly round of activities designed to cement its relationship with the powerful unseen forces on which its well-being depended. Not too much work was required with the abundant rainfall on this fertile soil to raise the principal food supply for an entire family. The men, like all later Indians, hunted to supply the meat for their diet but they had plenty of free time to devote to the construction and repair of the town's several temple buildings. Here they gathered at stated intervals to go through the time-honored ritual first taught to their fathers by the very spirits themselves, those spirits which gave man the fish and the game and finally the wonderful gift of the corn plant. All of these gifts and many more must be accepted with reverence and treated according to the rules established for their proper use otherwise the spirits would be offended, the game would disappear, and the fields would wither and die.


General view of excavations northeast of ceremonial earthlodge, showing portion of trench surrounding the village.

Of all the annual round of ceremonies the most important was that in honor of the deity whose gift of corn had the miraculous power to renew itself every year. The summer temple, then, was the scene of the year's biggest festival when the new crop was ripe. All the fires of the village were put out and after the men had fasted and purified themselves with the sacred drink, the new fire was lit and offered with the first of the new corn to the Master of Breath. With this act the sins of the past year were forgiven, and the town entered upon a new year with rejoicing. But ever so often the temple needed to be rebuilt, perhaps at the death of the chief priest, who may at the same time have been the chief of the town as well. This called for a mound to be built or the old one to be enlarged and raised higher as a mark of extra devotion and every man must have given his allotment of working days to complete the project, even if several years were required before it was finished. For the new mound was proof to the divine forces of how much their gifts had been appreciated, and a plea that their favor might continue and the town prosper. Also it was proof to all the surrounding tribes of the wealth and strength of the village which was able to erect and maintain these large structures and at the same time to live in plenty and defend itself from its enemies.


Ungrooved ax, or celt, of the temple mound builders

Much of this reconstruction depends heavily on our knowledge of the later tribes of the Southeast and on broader analogies as well. Archeological proof does not exist for much that we have inferred. Yet we know that what we find here could not have been built by villagers living at the level of bare subsistence. Economic surplus was essential, and we know the Indians had the corn with which to create it. Strong leadership was needed to carry such large projects to completion and with it there must have been a social and religious class system to organize the economic and priestly functions of such a community. The temple priests and their assistants and retainers would have formed a rather numerous class with high status in a society so clearly impressed with the importance of the physical expression of its religious ideas. Wealth and power may likewise have rested with a specialized warrior class which controlled the governing function of the group, or it may be that these were combined with the religious duties of the priestly class. Whatever the system employed, several hundred unusually important individuals given special burial in the Funeral Mound attest to the distinctions which existed. Class differences of this sort are the most common basis for a high degree of social and political control and Ocmulgee is a good example of the real attainments of some American Indians along these lines.

In spite of the relatively large amount of information we have about them, however, we know surprisingly little of the ultimate fate of the Master Farmers. We do know that these first bearers of an alien culture from the Mississippi Valley did not persist very long in the area in terms of its previous history. Within 200 years the busy village was deserted, only to be visited by an occasional traveling band descended from the Early Farmers who had lived on in nearby sections. We do not know even whether the last occupants left here in a body to settle elsewhere, whether they gradually died off, whether they were absorbed into the surrounding population, or whether they were finally exterminated by neighbors who had themselves developed large settled communities capable of effective military action. Other ideas came to Georgia from the Mississippi Valley, but Ocmulgee lay silent and was passed by. Only in the last chapter of Indian history in this State was the site again reoccupied for a brief time. Here at the end, to be described in our final chapter, we find the Creek Indians once more living among the haunts of their ancestors.


Ocmulgee River Corridor SRS

The National Park Service (NPS) is conducting a Special Resource Study of the Ocmulgee River Corridor between Macon and Hawkinsville, Georgia. The John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act of 2019 (Dingell Act) directed the Secretary of the Interior to complete the study, the purpose of which is to identify whether the Ocmulgee River Corridor meets specific criteria to be recommended for potential inclusion as a unit of the national park system.

The study area incorporates a corridor of approximately 50 river miles touching the Georgia counties of Bibb, Twiggs, Houston, Bleckley, and Pulaski. Major public land holdings in the area include Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park the Bond Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Robins Air Force Base and the Echeconnee Creek, Oaky Woods, and Ocmulgee State Wildlife Management Areas. There are also several public river landings. Much of the property in the study area is undeveloped, whether it is in private or public ownership.

The river corridor includes a rich human history, with archaeological resources dating from the Paleoindian Period through World War II. Particularly significant are extensive American Indian resources including Mississippian mound sites, and sites associated with Muscogee (Creek) heritage and history. The river corridor is comprised mostly of bottomland hardwood forest and swamp, with some upland forest in the terraces above the floodplain. Diverse wildlife in the area include black bears, white-tailed deer, wood ducks, alligators, wild turkey, and many species of waterfowl.

The 1998 National Parks Omnibus Management Act (54 United States Code 100507) established the process for identifying and authorizing studies of new national park units. A study area must meet four criteria to be recommended as an addition to the national park system. These criteria include: 1) national significance, 2) suitability, 3) feasibility, and 4) need for NPS management. The study process is linear, and each of the four criteria are evaluated sequentially. If the study finds that the river corridor does not meet one of the criteria, the study will not evaluate the subsequent criteria.

While the NPS is conducting the study, the designation of national park units is ultimately the purview of Congress and the President. The purpose of the study is solely to evaluate the area and report to Congress.

Currently, the NPS is synthesizing public comment on the study. More can be learned about the study process and the resources of the study by visiting the study's informational website (see the "Ocmulgee River Corridor Storymap" under the Links tab to the left).

The Dingell Act provides for a three-year time frame to complete the study. Once the report is received by Congress, it will be made available to the public.


Great Temple Mound

Built between 900 - 1100 AD, The Great Temple Mound originally had a dirt ramp that led to a prominent structure built on the top of the mound. Today, travel to the top of the Great Temple Mound for a great view of Downtown Macon.


National Park Getaway: Ocmulgee National Monument

The Earth Lodge is one of seven surviving earthen mounds originally built by the Mississippian culture more than 1,000 years ago.

In the heart of Georgia lies a place that has been settled for 17,000 years. Ocmulgee National Monument’s human history dates to the Paleo-Indian Period, and the area was occupied until the Muscogee (Creek) removal in 1826. Upon arrival at the Visitor Center, you will see over 2,000 artifacts on display, including a Clovis Point spear head dating to 10,000 BCE, earthen pottery made around 3,500 BCE, and European dishware from the 1700s CE.

Ocmulgee is home to the largest archeological dig in American history, with more than 3 million artifacts found by 800 Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers in the 1930s. Four different prehistoric cultures inhabited this area before European settlement in the late 1500s. One such group was the Mississippians, who constructed earth mounds for their elite members of society beginning around 900 CE. Their structures survive to this day, attracting visitors worldwide to the park.

Objects in the museum collection, including a Clovis point (left) and shell gorget (right), provide clues to ways of life representing 17,000 years of human history.

As you explore the park and cross the bridge leading toward the Earth Lodge, you will step back in time. The Earth Lodge floor is 1,000 years old and served as the council chamber used by the Mississippians for meetings and ceremonies. Try to imagine yourself sitting in one of the 50 seats discussing important issues of your day 1,000 years ago.

When you leave the Earth Lodge, you will walk toward the Great Temple Mound and across a railroad bridge to a large field. This area served as an ancient ball field where games like stickball and chunkey were played. Walk past the site of the British Trading Post that was occupied from 1690 to 1715, where the Muscogee (Creek) Indians traded animal skins for European goods such as bells, glass beads, and muskets.

The annual Ocmulgee Indian Celebration brings together craftsmen, dancers, storytellers, and living history demonstrators to celebrate and share their heritage with thousands of visitors.

When you arrive on top of the Great Temple Mound, you will see downtown Macon, Georgia, toward the southwest and hear the roar of cars from the interstate. However, imagine being on top of the mound 1000 years ago. What would you have seen? What would you have heard? A bustling village along the Ocmulgee River with a population of 2,000 people busily going about their day. The men would have been fishing, hunting, and building mounds while the women were making baskets, pottery, and growing crops. You would hear people talking, singing, and laughing as they went about their daily activities. Today only 7 mounds remain for visitors to experience the culture that once thrived here.

The park is self-guided, so visitors can walk or drive to the Great Temple Mound and explore 6 miles of nature trails. Many visitors prefer to visit in the spring and autumn when the humidity is low. During the third weekend in September the park hosts its annual Indian Celebration. During this most popular event of the year, over 200 American Indians share their history and culture with visitors.


Ocmulgee Bottoms in Recorded History

On March 3, 1540, the Hernando de Soto Expedition departed a Native town in the Florida Panhandle. 1 Contemporary scholars labeled the indigenous people in this region, the Apalachee. Actually, according to 17 th century ethnologist, Charles de Rochefort, they called themselves the Tula-halwase (Tallahassee) which means, “Offspring from Highland Towns.” 2 The real Apalache lived in northern Georgia. The Florida Apalachee began as a colony. One of their towns was named Apalache, so the Spanish gave that name to the whole province. This was a common practice by the Spanish. The coastal province of Guale named after a village of the same name on St. Catherines Island, GA. 3

When the expedition reached a river, De Soto ordered that they build a crude boat, which ferried the conquistadors, their horses and their swine to the other side. From there the expedition marched into the Chickasawhatchee Swamp, which was in the Province of Capachequi (Spanish) or Kvpeceke (Muskogee-Creek.) The word means “Wood Ash Lye People” and is still a Creek clan in Oklahoma. 4

From Capachequi, the Spaniards headed northward until they reached a major river, which is now presumed to be the Ocmulgee. 1 This was in the Province of Toasi (Offspring of Toa) With great difficulty, they ferried their men and animals across this river and entered the capital town of Toa. De Soto’s chroniclers described the town as being much better planned that Florida indigenous communities and also having more substantial architecture.

The expedition traveled northwestward along the Ocmulgee, passing through several small villages, until it arrived at a town, whose occupants had fled. 5 Meat was still cooking on a barbecoa. Continuing northward along the river they came to a large town on an island, which was the capital of the Province of Ichesi (Spanish), In Itsate Creek this could be interpreted as either Icesi o Itsesi . Depending on the interpretation of the Europeanized word, the word could mean either “Children of Corn” or “Offspring of the Itza.” 6 The people in this town were friendly so De Soto ordered a cross hewn from wood and placed on the top of a mound in the center of the town.

French Huguenot Expeditions

In 1564 and 1565, Captain René de Laudonnière, commander of Fort Caroline, dispatched at least six expeditions to explore the interior Florida Française (Georgia). 7 Several went northwestward up the May River in search of mountains that were described by coastal natives as containing gold and silver. Several Frenchmen were in northern or central Georgia when Fort Caroline was massacred by the Spanish in September of 1565.

The indigenous people living immediately south of Lake Tama were described as the Onithea-koa or Onithea People. “Koa” is an Arawak and northern South American suffix for “people.” 8 Those living north of Lake Tama were described as the Maya-koa, or Maya People.

The reader should understand, however, the Maya Indians as a whole, never called themselves Maya. This ethnic name was derived from the name of a province on the northwest tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, named Maiam. The Castilian letter “y” is pronounced like an English “ē.” It is significant, however, that the Province of Maiam was established by initially illiterate Itza Maya invaders around 1000 AD. The original capital was Chichen Itza, but later became Maiapan. 9 Maiapan was still the capital in 1500.

Richard Brigstock Expedition

In 1653, Royalist Barbados was under siege by a fleet dispatched by the English Commonwealth. 29 Royalist Richard Brigstock led a small party to visit the European colony in the Kingdom of Apalache in Northern Georgia. 30 English Catholic, Edward Bland, had visited the same region in 1646, but no chronicles of his visit have yet been discovered. 31

Brigstock did not provide Charles de Rochefort with any eyewitness descriptions of the Ocmulgee Bottoms, but did relate what the High King of Apalache said about its history. The Paracusa of Apalache said that the original homeland of the Apalache was in the region around Lake Tama, i.e. Ocmulgee Bottoms. 32 He said that his people were attacked by the Kofitachete and they had to temporarily abandon the region. This might explain the sudden abandonment of the acropolis at Ocmulgee around 1150 AD. The Apalache called the Ocmulgee Bottoms, the Province of Amana. The Kofitachete had eventually agreed to settle east of Amana. This is probably the province of Cofita, mentioned in the De Soto Chronicles. Amana was re-settled by a different people, probably the Ichisi, but they recognized the Paracusa of Apalache as their High King.

Late 17 th century Carolina traders

Within a relatively short period after Carolina was colonized in 1670, traders made contact with the Native People living on the Ocmulgee River. Those living in the Ocmulgee Bottoms were called Ochesee (the Ichisi of De Soto.) Those living north of the Fall Line were called the Ocmulgee (Oka-mole-ke = Water Swirling People.) 33 The corridor south of Ocmulgee Bottoms, including the Forks of the Altamaha (confluence of the Ocmulgee and Oconee River) was the Province of Tama, occupied by a people called either the Tamate, Tamatli or the Tamale. These words are the various ways of saying Merchant People in Itza Maya, Nahuatl and Huastec. South of Tama was the lands of the Yamasee Confederacy.

In the late 17 th century, the Ocmulgee River was called by the Muskogee-Creek name, Auchesi-hachi, which means Ochesee River in English. 34 At that time, “creek” meant a slow moving river in English. It still does in England. So Carolinians began calling the Native villages on the Middle Ocmulgee, the Ochesee Creeks, eventually shortening the name to Creek Indians. However, that word did not appear until around 1738.

In 1690 a fortified trading post was built by the Carolinians on the former Great Plaza of the Ocmulgee acropolis. 35 This became a focal point for trading activities between the Ochesee Creeks and Carolina. The Native American slave trade was in its heyday. Muskogeans would bring captured Indians, who were allies of France or Spain to the fort, along with furs and deerskins. These would be traded for European manufactured goods, such as muskets, lead balls, cloth and cast iron cooking pots.

Smallpox Plague of 1696

A horrific smallpox plague swept through the Piedmont and mountains of Carolina in 1696. 36 During this era, all of present day northern Georgia and the portion of Georgia north of the Altamaha River were considered part of Carolina. North and South Carolina had not been created either. Death rates of 90% to almost 100% were experienced among some Carolina Piedmont tribes. It can be presumed that similar population losses were experience in northeastern and eastern Georgia. This bacteriological holocaust came on the heels of 30 years of Native American slave raids. The impact was to virtually depopulate the countryside. The Kingdom of Apalache in Northeast Georgia completely disappeared from the maps after 1701. Some Apalachee remained in what is now Gwinnett County. The Apalachee River, a tributary of the Oconee River, is named after them.

Queen Anne’s War (1701-1707)

Great Britain became involved in a war on the mainland of Europe, which spilled over into North America. Spain attempted to strike the first blow by sending a force of 800 Spanish soldiers and Native American mercenaries through Southwest Georgia. 37 The Spanish intended to destroy the trading post fort at Ochesee and then strike Charleston from its back door. The Apalachicola Creeks and Chickasaws in southwest Georgia hated the Spaniards. They set up a camp on the Flint River, making it look like they were asleep then hid out. The Spaniards were lured into attacking the empty camp. Most of the Spanish force was killed when the Apalachicola Creeks and Chickasaws came out of hiding and surrounded the Spaniards.

In 1704, Colonel James Moore traveled from Charleston to Fort Ochesee with 50 men and gathered together 1,000 Muskogean warriors for an invasion of northern Florida. 38 The force virtually exterminated the Apalachee Mission system. Some Apalache immediately joined the Creek-British force and helped fight the Spanish. However, at least 3,000 pro-Spanish Apalache were taken back in chains to Charleston and sold into slavery. Most of the Florida Apalachee slaves lived short brutal lives on Caribbean sugar plantations.

John Beresford Map (1715)

When tensions were increasing on the Southeast, a Carolina militia officer, John Beresford, prepared a sketch map of the Native American tribes and French forts in the Southeast. 39 It included an estimate of the number of men of military age in each tribe – or in the case of the proto-Creeks, each town. The population of Ocmulgee Bottoms was miniscule, compared to what it had been in earlier times. His estimate was as follows: Westo-15, Taskeke-60, Coweta-30, Sawake-20 and Attate-20. There is no mention on the map of either the Ochesee or the Ocmulgee bands. The region apparently was devastated by repeated plagues. This is the first map to mention a word similar to Cherokee. It showed 200 Charakey warriors in extreme NW South Carolina and 800 Charakey warriors in extreme northeast Tennessee. It is obvious that the Cherokees had nothing like the population of 30,000 now claimed by contemporary Cherokee tourist literature.

Yamasee War (1715-1717)

On the evening of April 24, 1715 four Carolina colonial representatives were tortured to death by their hosts at the Yamasee town of Pocotaligo. 40 Soon thereafter Yamasee armies swept through the Carolina Low Country, killing hundreds of men, women and children. Almost simultaneous the Ochesee Creeks attack to the trading post fort on the Macon Plateau, killed its occupants and burned the fort. Soon after that, a combined force of Catawba and Cherokee warriors massacred two South Carolina militia units sent to suppress them. However, the Ochesee Creeks hesitated to attack South Carolina until they were certain of the direction that the war was taking. Meanwhile, about 90 out of the 100 South Carolina Indian traders in the Southeast were killed.

In December of 1715, a delegation of “Creek” leaders was invited to the neutral Yuchi town of Tugaloo for a diplomatic conference. 41 All historical markers and Cherokee histories call Tugaloo a Cherokee town, but ALL maps of the early 1700s label it a Hogeloge (Yuchi) town. 42 It is not clear, who these “Creek” leaders were, because neither the word Creek Indian, nor the Creek Confederacy existed in 1715. In fact, 1715 is the first year that even the word Charakey is seen in a British document.

The version of events at Tugaloo most commonly seen in online media is that 12 “Creek” leaders were killed in an argument. 43 The Cherokees then switched from being enemies of South Carolina to allies. The Creek version of events was that 32 “Creek” leaders were killed in their sleep then the Cherokees swept through northeast Georgia capturing Creek lands. History does verify that 40 years later the Koweta Creeks executed 32 Cherokee chiefs then declared the Creek-Cherokee War over. 44

Because of the lost of leaders and the Cherokee switch to the British side, the Muskogeans in Georgia did not play a major role in the Yamasee War, and soon sued for peace again with South Carolina. 45 During the war, most of the Muskogean towns and village in eastern and central Georgia relocated to the Chattahoochee River. Those in western North Carolina relocated to southwest Georgia. By then the Cherokees had achieved “most favored” status and the Creeks would have secondary priority for access to munitions until Georgia was founded in 1733.

Colonel John Barnwell Map (1722)

1721 Barnwell Map of Southeast America. Used with permission of Yale University and People of One Fire.

This map was prepared after the King George I revoked the charter of the Carolina Proprietors and made South Carolina and North Carolina separate Crown colonies. On the map Barnwell renamed the May River, the Altamaha or King George River, to assert British claims to what is now southern Georgia. [See Barnwell map as part of this article.]

On his map Barnwell wrote that “The Ochesee Creeks deserted the Ocmulgee River and now live on the Chattahoochee River.” Still living in the Ocmulgee Bottoms were the Taskeke, Colima, Attate and Coweta Indians. Obviously, they were not considered Ochesee Creeks in 1722.

Founding of the Colony of Georgia (1733)

Relations between the British colonists and the Creek Indians were excellent from the start. While the Creeks always distrusted the South Carolinians, they considered the Georgians to be their closest allies and best friends. 46 Many of the conferences between the leaders of the young colony occurred either at Indian Springs, north of the Ocmulgee Bottoms or in the vicinity of the mounds of the ancient town site on the Macon Plateau.

The Ochesee Creeks on the Chattahoochee River no longer were dominant in what was now a full-fledged Creek Confederacy, except that it was called the Coweta Confederacy and Coweta was the word typically used for Creek Indian by both the British and the French. Oglethorpe founded the town of Augusta within Creek territory in order to dominate the Indian trade in the Southeast. It was considered an “Indian town” in which members of all tribes were free to walk around and socialize with the locals.

Visit by General James Edward Oglethorpe (1739)

Governor Oglethorpe traveled the trading path through the mounds and old cultivated fields at Ocmulgee on his way to Coweta which was then near present day Carrollton. Here he met Creek leaders. One of his Rangers wrote a short description of what is now Ocmulgee National Monument. 47

Map by Emmanuel Bowen (1747)

This was the first British produced map to show all of the territory that would eventually become the State of Georgia after the founding of the Colony of Georgia. [See map attached to this article.] It showed Ocmulgee Bottoms occupied by the Kaonita, Kowetas, Taskeke, Echete (Itsate), Colima and Attasees. The Echete (Itsate) were shown on the 1715 Beredford Map as occupying the northeast corner of Georgie. Apparently, most did not want to be part of the Cherokee Alliance. All but one of the Echete villages in NE Georgia disappeared from subsequent maps. The Cowetas were originally from Northeast Georgia and the section of the North Carolina Mountains, east of Franklin, NC. Perhaps these were some of the tribes invited to the conference at Tugaloo.

John Mitchell Map (1755)

This famous map only shows the Koweta and Echete still living in Ocmulgee Bottoms, but there may have been other villages that Mitchell was not aware of. He lived in England. 48

William Bartram (1774)

The famous map of North America published by John Mitchell in 1755 precisely notes the locations of Creek and Alabama villages on the Alabama and Chattahoochee River systems.

Bartram traveled on the Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta through Ocmulgee Bottoms on his way to visit Tuckabatchee. 49 He recorded his visit in his journal, which later in his life, became his famous book.

“On the heights of these low grounds are yet visible monuments, or traces, of an ancient town, such as artificial mounts or terraces, squares and banks, encircling considerable áreas. Their old fields and planting land extend up and down the river, fifteen or twenty miles from this site. If we are to give credit to the account the Creeks give of themselves, this place is remarkable for being the first town or settlement, when they sat down (as they term it) or established themselves, after their emigration from the west.”

First Treaty of Washington (1805)

After much pressure from Georgia officials and Thomas Jefferson, the Creek Confederacy ceded the remainder of their land between the Oconee and Ocmulgee Rivers. 50 The Creeks refused to give up the ruins of the ancient town in Ocmulgee Bottoms that the Creeks called Waka-te. The treaty excluded a 3 by 5 mile strip known as the Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve.

The treaty allowed the United States to construct a road across the Creek Nation to the Alabama River now known as the Alabama Road. It also allowed both Creeks and white men to build facilities for public accommodations along this road. Much of this “Federal Road” follows the ancient Lower Creek Trading Path and eventually stretches from Washington, D.C. to New Orleans. The treaty also provided for a US Army fort to be built on the Reserve to guard the frontier along the Ocmulgee River. Almost immediately after the treaty was announced, real estate speculators and squatters occupied most of the Ocmulgee Reserve. 51 Most of the Ocmulgee Reserve was quickly and illegally subdivided.

Fort Hawkins (1806)

Fort Hawkins was constructed on a hill immediately north of some mounds in 1806. 52 It is now known that that this location was the site of a satellite village of the Ocmulgee Acropolis. Fort Hawkins was never assaulted, because most Georgia Creeks developed cultural ties with their white neighbors. Instead, it served as an administrative center for Federal activities in the lower Southeast. Fort Hawkins was used as a staging site for army units destined to combat the Red Stick Creeks in Alabama, during the War of 1812. For the entirety of its existence as a federal facility, it sat on land technically owned by the Creek Confederacy. The land was not offered back to the Creeks, when the fort was closed.

Treaty of Indian Springs (1825)

Mixed-heritage Creek leader, William McIntosh, along with a few close friends, who included two mixed-heritage sons of Federal Indian agent, Benjamin Hawkins, arranged to make a treaty with the State of Georgia that ceded all Creek lands in Georgia, including the Ocmulgee Reserve. 53 The Creek signers of the treaty put in provisions that gave them one square mile reserves, which they planned to subdivide. In addition they paid themselves for signing the treaty. The small group of signers did not have authority to sign any treaty and ironically broke a law that McIntosh had earlier voted for, which proscribed the death penalty for those illegally giving away Creek land.

Congress considered the treaty fraudulent and refused to ratify it. In the mean time there was chaos in Georgia as the state had gone ahead and surveyed out land lots. Squatters moved in while Creek families still lived on their farms. Many mixed-blood Creeks had opted to keep their lands and become citizens of the State of Georgia. Christian Creeks were banned from most Creek towns.

Treaty of Washington City (1827)

Members of the Creek National Council signed this legitimate treaty in Washington, DC, which ceded all Creek lands in Georgia. 54 It did not specifically mention the Ocmulgee Reserve, whose original legal description stated that it would be owned in perpetuity regardless of other future land cessions by the Creek Confederacy. However, the signers of the document, representing the United States and State of Georgia, assumed that the reserve no longer existed. Fort Hawkins had been abandoned in 1824, so the federal government had no need of the land.


Mark Andy Equipment

Mark Andy and our trusted portfolio of brands have set the standard in innovative technologies in the print industry. We have a legacy of building reliable, productive equipment designed to increase profitability. With a broad range of equipment, you can depend on us to have the solution for any printing and converting objective, supporting every application, every time.

Featured Products

Digital Series HD

A configurable production-class digital press pairing premium quality and high speeds for any label application need, now and into the future.

Performance Series

The Mark Andy Performance Series press line increases profitability for the simplest to most complex label applications.

Digital Plus Screen

A rail-mounted digital print bar that replaces conventional rotary screen units at half the operating cost.

Our Technologies

Flexographic Printing Solutions

Industry-leading flexographic presses

Digital Presses

The best of digital and flexo in a single machine

Press Upgrades

Retrofit solutions to enhance equipment

Pre-Owned Equipment

Used equipment certified by Mark Andy

Supplemental Equipment

Supporting solutions for production efficiency

Rotoflex Finishing Equipment

Inspection, rewind and finishing technology powered by Rotoflex

Offset Printing Presses

Presstek printing technologies for commercial print applications

Testimonials

Everything from start to finish was coordinated with Mark Andy. Both our team and Mark Andy’s were very methodical and did a great job. It was fantastic it was real teamwork – like we were one company.

- Great Lakes Label, Grand Rapids, Michigan Read More Testimonials

We have committed fully to Mark Andy because we see them as a no risk investment for the bulk of our business.

Flexo technology is perfect for our product portfolio here, and Mark Andy manufactures the best narrow web press for day to day production, in my opinion. We are very proud to work with them and grateful for their ongoing support.

We had a Mark Andy technician onsite throughout the entire installation and startup process, and the support hasn’t stopped there. The caliber of service has been amazing.

- Jeff Jaynes, Label Solutions Read More Testimonials

We value our partnership with Mark Andy and have truly experienced their total solutions offering. Their comprehensive understanding of and involvement with the entire printing workflow continues to impress us.

- Jan Greis, U.S. Tape and Label Read More Testimonials

The sales process was very satisfactory. From when we first requested a quote to the configuration consultancy to the demo at Mark Andy, all the way through the press build the organization was excellent.

- Juan Carlos Arroyave, Etipress Read More Testimonials

We haven’t had one plate lift incident. Plates even sat for a week before going back on press and still no lifting. Consider me switched to tesa thanks to Mark Andy Print Products expertise.

Mark Andy didn’t just sell us a press, they sold us a future.

- Neil Doniger, Nadco Tapes & Labels Read More Testimonials

We looked at four or five different manufacturers but chose Mark Andy because of their history and commitment to the label industry.

We have relied on Mark Andy flexo presses for years and felt they were the best company to understand the digital needs of a label converter.


Ver el vídeo: Ocmulgee: The Pyramids of Georgia (Enero 2022).